Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldador owners, are there any in Ireland??

Options
  • 12-10-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    looking for more information on Goldadors. Are there any owners here?
    Does anyone a decent breeder who'd be happy to provide information?
    or can anyone point me to more info?

I've checked the websites and I'm getting conflicting info. I'd much rather talk to someone with experience.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, basically there is no such breed as this.

They are a made up name by crossing 2 breeds and you wont find any *reputable breeder who intentially crosses 2 breeds and give its a silly name like a Goldador.

Why dont you go for a Labrador or a Golden Retriever?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a pre-warning: Tone down on the condescension and vitriol. The OP is just looking for information. Please provide him with friendly and impartial advice.

[edit: That's not directed at you specifically andreac!]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I haven't decided on which dog I'll go for yet (see: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056057888)

I do understand it's a cross between a Lab & a Retriever. I'm only looking for more information on it. From some of my research (online) it may be a more suitable dog for my needs, however, all online info is conflicting, so hence the post looking for more info.

Zulu wrote: »
    I haven't decided on which dog I'll go for yet see:(http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056057888)

I do understand it's a cross between a Lab & a Retriever. I'm only looking for more information on it. From some of my research (online) it may be a more suitable dog for my needs, however, all online info is conflicting, so hence the post looking for more info.

To be honest, you seem to be searching online for so called breeds that will suit and taking questionaires (*sp) etc on what type of dog will suit and they come up with a breed that isnt even a breed so id be very wary of the results you are getting online with these things.

I answered in your other post and i can honestly say that neither of those dogs will not suit apartment life im afraid.

I would be taking that result i.e. Goldador with a pinch of salt as its not a recognised breed of dog so be careful where you are doing your research.

By all accounts, current Goldadors are first-generation. This means that parentage is going to be very difficult to trace and for all intents and purposes, you're getting a dog which is a mongrel, but paying through the nose for it.

Establishing a breed takes a number of generations while the breed traits are identified and the best examples of the breed are used for breeding and the rest are not bred. In early generations you have a mixed bag and it's impossible to say whether your dog is a good example of a "Goldador" or a bad example of one because the breed standard has neither defined nor attained yet.

Labs and Golden retrievers are both good and popular family pets, so I wouldn't have any particular apprehension about breeding them. Your main problem is that you're going to have difficulty separating those people who are serious about creating a new breed and are meticulous about working towards developing good animals and a good breed standard, from the chancers who are breeding mongrels in their back garden from any kind of parent and charging gullible people big money for it.
    There will be lots of the latter and very few of the former.

If you think that a Goldador suits your needs, then it's likely that a Lab or a GR will be equally suitable.

It seems to be better known in the US than here, though it still seems insanely new. If you're very serious about it, then get involved in their sites, speak to people in the US who are serious about the breed and you should then be able to find likeminded people here in Ireland which in turn should lead to a good breeder. Breeders should be working together to define what's good in the new breed - they should not be breeding autonomously and indiscriminately, especially at this stage of establishing the breed.

I would be very surprised if there are more than 1 or 2 people in the entire country who are actually serious about this breed and not just breeding Labs and GRs together to cash in on a fad.

• Advertisement

In fairness Andreac, I'm not. I've been looking at a LOT of sites. ...and they've given me a LOT of different & conflicting info - which is what too much time on the internet will produce.
    It's for this reason that I'm now looking for owners I can question myself.

I'm not sure why I'm explaining myself here (and I dont mean this as an agressive post - please don't take it that way!), but in the interests of good faith: where the Goldador came out of, is, that my own personal experience & preference is for a Lab, Collie, German Shepard or Boxer. Clearly I can't justify having one of those if there's a chance it wouldn't be happy. So I'm exploring EVERY avenue open to me - including "designer breeds with silly names". As I said in the other thread I really don't mind being a "fool falling for another mongrel with a pretty name", if it's the right dog, and it'll live a happy life in my situation!
    Maybe I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole - but I'm at least going to research.

I hope you understand :)

In fairness Andreac, I'm not. I've been looking at a LOT of sites. ...and they've given me a LOT of different & conflicting info - which is what too much time on the internet will produce.
    It's for this reason that I'm now looking for owners I can question myself.

I'm not sure why I'm explaining myself here (and I dont mean this as an agressive post - please don't take it that way!), but in the interests of good faith: where the Goldador came out of, is, that my own personal experience & preference is for a Lab, Collie, German Shepard or Boxer. Clearly I can't justify having one of those if there's a chance it wouldn't be happy. So I'm exploring EVERY avenue open to me - including "designer breeds with silly names". As I said in the other thread I really don't mind being a "fool falling for another mongrel with a pretty name", if it's the right dog, and it'll live a happy life in my situation!
    Maybe I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole - but I'm at least going to research.

I hope you understand :)

Oh i totally understand. I just would hate to see you handing over hundreds of euro for a mongrel when there are thousands of them free in rescues and pounds.

All of the above breeds you mention arent suitable for apartment living though so you might have to either change your ideas on certain breeds or just wait until you have a house im afraid.

The problem with these designer breeds Zulu is that they arent bred with the same care and attention as reputable breeders and most will not have been health checked for potential problems associated with the breed.

Also crossing 2 breeds like that can result in the dog inheriting the health problems from both mother and father from 2 different breeds so you can have a dog with potential serious health problems down the line.

As I said in the other thread I really don't mind being a "fool falling for another mongrel with a pretty name", if it's the right dog, and it'll live a happy life in my situation!
    Just to give an idea of why these kinds of discussions usually get people's heckles up is because people are willing to pay good money for a mongrel to a breeder who is usually irresponsible and willing to dump unsold animals out onto public highways. At the same time, you have dog shelters overflowing with equally loveable and deserving dogs, rescued from public highways and asking a lot less money for the animals and with only the ongoing care of other animals at heart.

Buying from dodgy breeders is seen as supporting the ongoing torture of dogs in puppy farms and general ill-treatment of dogs. And with the likes of Goldadors, dodgy breeders will be the vast majority of those offering the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Very well said Seamus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

why not try temping for the guide dogs most of our dogs are half lab half golden retriever and need holiday homes for when puppy walkers are away on weekends etc....this will give you a good idea of having this size pup in your home and what is involved before making any mistakes.

• Advertisement

After a little more research I've come across a "Golden Labrador" which is apparently a cross similar to a "Goldador". ...now we have a "Golden Labrador" growing up - which I understood to be a Labrador which was golden coloured. Is this our american friends being funny again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

After a little more research I've come across a "Golden Labrador" which is apparently a cross similar to a "Goldador". ...now we have a "Golden Labrador" growing up - which I understood to be a Labrador which was golden coloured. Is this our american friends being funny again?

Any "golden labradors" I know are just yellow labs? Also any labs I know are the same temprement wise as my retriever - the only difference is their appearance - they have shorter, greasier hair that sheds more and are more stocky - I only know boy labs thou so that may not be the same for girls :pac: :pac: Have you thought of getting an older dog - eg one that around 2 and has finished the puppy stage? Puppies are seriously hard work - I love my pup to bits but the last year was hard work and he's only starting to settle down now - he's 15 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Just out of interest, what are the supposed benefits of this cross. Labs and Retrievers are v.similiar breeds so I am just wondering what the reasons are for crossing them to create another 'breed' as you are going to get a dog very similar to the already established breeds ie. Labs and Retrieveres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This is what I've always understood a golden labrador to be having owned one for almost 15 years.

http://www.showdogsireland.com/results/2009/LabradorClubFeb09.pdf

i.e. Labrador Retriever is the name of the breed, Golden (or yellow) is just the colour.

Labrador Retrievers are an established breed. The 'Goldador' you refer to would seem to be the result of a crossing between one of the above and one of these.

http://www.aigrc.com/

Personality and needs wise are basically the same for both breeds so I'd go for one or the other instead of a cross. I'm pretty sure all poster's who suggested other breeds meant something less needy not something similar. You do seem to be very stuck on the look of the dog.

The point of the cross apparently is to create a more independant dog. My reading of this was that it may be somewhat more suitable.

I'm thinking this is all-american pish-posh now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm thinking this is all-american pish-posh now to be honest.

I would be inclined to think so too :)

Advertisement