Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my ear is blocked

• 12-10-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

and its annoying the crap outta me!

Its quite sore and a little swollen (think its a spot or something)

its been blocked last night!

Tried putting some peroxide in it to help clean out the wax but it didnt help!

anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You can go to the chemist and get Cerumol, they're ear drops that are for loosening ear wax, alternatively, use olive oil (Cerumol is largley olive oil with some parrafin I think mixed in, just don't use vegetable oil!), about 4 or 5 drops and plug your ear with cotton wool , then lie on your side with the blocked ear facing up so as to let the oil seep into the wax and loosen it (best done before bed to get a nice long run on it), wash it out as best you can the next morning in the shower and see how you feel.

You can also try to go to alternative therapy places and get some hopi indian ear candles, I can tell you from personal experience THESE DO NOT WORK, they will make you feel more relaxed as you have to lie on your side with the pleasant aroma and ambience created by burning a candle, but with regard to removing blockages from the ear, no, just no (skeptical of their other claimed benefits too, but that's for another thread).

If you think it's just a spot, maybe give it a few days, see if it goes away on it's own accord? Though I wouldn't wait too long if it's sore too, it could get infected and have bad implications on your hearing. If not you should probably go to the doctor. Just don't, under any circumstances, poke around at it with a q-tip or anything else.You can end pushing the wax into the ear further, and will require a syringing, which is actually quite plesasnt! I had to get it done once after having a blocked ear for weeks, there is no "syringe" involved, the doc just sprays a jet of water right into your ear with high enough power to remove any blockage, the feeling of relief afterwards is amazing! It's not something to be done at home though, unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I got one ear syringed before but it was with a giant metal syringe shaped thing, and it didn't feel great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Goto the doc. I find the stuff that you get on perscription less harsh on your ears than the over-the-counter stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement