Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Paris

• 12-10-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi all heading to Paris with the wife. Any ideas what to see/do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Lovely time to go.....wander the streets....eat drink and be merry......

The Monte marte area is really nice with the sacre cour (sorry about hte spelling)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

- go the the bar at the top of the hotel de concorde. Great views of Paris but very pricey drinks
    - cruise down the seine
    - all the other tourist stuff like arc de triumph, see mona lisa in the gallery etc
    - do the tourist bus thing, its actually worth it
    - avoid all irish bars

How long you going for, have you been before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Eurodisney. It's a short train ride. Paris sucks tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Shakespeare and Company. Amazing book shop opposite Notre Dame.

http://www.shakespeareandcompany.com/index.php?categories=113:1

"Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be angels in disguise."

Just hop on a metro and go anywhere. I'd also recommend the Montmarte arrondissmont (my French is appalling). The view from Sacre Coeur is just breathtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Re-make "Rendezvous" in a hired 2CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That graveyard place with Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

i'm gonna hijack this thread. i'm heading to paris for 3 days soon with the bf so any other ideas are welcome. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

WindSock wrote: »
    That graveyard place with Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde et al.

Yup, if you're looking for wild and exciting things, a foreign graveyard is where it's at...don't forget your spray paint.

Wertz wrote: »
    Yup, if you're looking for wild and exciting things, a foreign graveyard is where it's at...don't forget your spray paint.

does anyone know where in paris of that graveyard is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 THEGIRLFOX

Sightseeing-tours-in-paris.com

You can do the night time tour of paris by bus and boat & and see the illuminations, it's really lovely, the link to the website is above.

Also the moulin rouge is a great night but overpriced but one of those things you have to do while in paris.
    Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

- Declare yourself Emperor and see how long it takes for someone to depose you. It will probably take three to six months.

- Go around fondling other peoples food and tell people that if Henry can handle a ball then this is fair game.

- Accuse everyone you meet of being uncultured rubes and not as sophisticated as people from Offaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

buzsywuzsy wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A8re_Lachaise_Cemetery

AH -> Things to do In...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Disneyworld!
    Eiffel tower!
    Moulin Rouge!
    See the Mona Lisa!
    Get a coffee in a french bistro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Take a trip to the Palace of Versailles. The Catacombs are also worth a visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

fattirebiketours.com/paris
    Nice easy going cycles around the city and the surrounding areas. I did the Versailles tour which included a trip to a market where we bought wine and food for a picnic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

pere lachaise - info here

While your in that part of the city you should check out a really cool bar called la fleche d'or (linky)

It used to be a train station I believe and it hosts some great live music. When I was there (about 6 years ago) they had a restaurant at the side which served the best steak I've ever tasted with potato gratin, sublime.

Paris is an amazing city once you get over the crazy prices for things like beer and coffee...just stick to du Vin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Pere La Chaise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Acidflash wrote: »

I second this actually. It's great on a weekend as they turn on music in the ground and the fountains

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Faceman, how can you say Paris sucks?!
    It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

You could spend a week in the Louvre alone.

For good, cheap restaurants go to the Latin Quarter across from Pont Neuf.

The Notre Dame is fab on the inside. You can almost see Quasimoto swinging from the roof.

Wander up to Montmartre and see the SacréCoeur.
    Paris is so beautiful that just walking around is great.

For eating out, go down side streets where food is cheaper.
    Walking up the Champs Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe is wonderful, but don't eat or drink there.

Going to a delicatessen and a boulangerie is a delight. Make a picnic and have it by the Seine.

I haven't been to Père Lachaise Cemetery yet, but I'm told it's well worth a visit.

If you've never had a croc monsieur, go to a brasserie and order one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

yea, it's in the 19th arrondissement. called pere lachaise.

I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago.

Went to the top of montparnasse (a tall black building).
    If you like steak go to 'chez robert et louise', near hotel de ville.
    we went to palais de versaille which is lovely but very busy.

the metro is only 1.40 per trip from when you enter the metro system to leaving, no matter how many line changes you make. There's a crypt place in the 5th arrondissement called the Pantheon.

if you're looking to take a long walk: hotel de ville, louvre, garden of tuileries, concorde, champs elissee, arc de triumph, avenue Kleber to trocadero then eiffel tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Avoid the moulin rouge, it's daylight robbery!
    To be honest most of the touristy stuff is a let down, but then i feel the same about touristy stuff everywhere.
    If i was you i'd just wander about stopping for a bite to eat or a drink wherever the mood took me. Paris is a beautiful city, just soak it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Acidflash wrote: »

definitely do this, well worth a visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

#Theres actually a guy there that will bring you around all the famous graves like Oscar wild, Marcel Marceau, Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf and loads more if you throw him a tenner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Beruthiel wrote: »

If you've never had a croc monsieur, go to a brasserie and order one.

Croque Monsieur had one in Paris and make them all the time now

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

chin_grin wrote: »
    Shakespeare and Company. Amazing book shop opposite Notre Dame.

http://www.shakespeareandcompany.com/index.php?categories=113:1

"Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be angels in disguise."

Just hop on a metro and go anywhere. I'd also recommend the Montmarte arrondissmont (my French is appalling). The view from Sacre Coeur is just breathtaking.

That reminds me.......hop on metro/train to Versaille........well worth it and cheap to get there and get in.......easy to pass a day there

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Faceman, how can you say Paris sucks?!
    It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I wasnt being AH smart, i was being sincere! Ive been to Paris both on business and pleasure many times, so maybe that has something to do with it. I've been to other parts of france too, and Paris is very over-rated IMO.

Granted some of the sights are great, particularly the Lourve, Eiffel Tower but during peak season the tourist-ness of the attractions can be very off putting. The Eiffel tower turns into a chore (although the photos opportunities at the top are great)

Its also a tourist trap, and a pricey tourist trap at that. All the main attractions have a wide radius when it comes for value for money for food and drink.

I find Parisians to be quite rude and aloof compared to other french people, any effort you make with the french language does help. Sure the quiky streets with their coffee shops are nice, but its not a feature unique to paris.

As already mentioned though there are some genuinely great spots outside the city, Versailles in particular.

I guess though, it is a city that you have to see once anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Definitely get a crepe from one of the crepe stands which can be found on many streets around the city. Sweet ones or savoury - both are delicious.

great, thanks for all the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

You could spend a week in the Louvre alone.

Agree totally! Spent half a day there and then was sorry because we never made it to the Musee Orsay. If I could do it all again (!) I would go to the Musee Orsay first.

A wander around Notre Dame at night is lovely, just don't stop for a beer unless you are loaded! ;)

So, I'm finally off to Paris on Tuesday morning- hopefully there won't be any flight delays with all that's going on over there.

All of the ideas above are fantastic and we would love to do them all. We are just going for 3 days- coming back Friday morning and I'm wondering will I be able to fit all of these in and if not, what are the things we cannot leave without seeing?

Also just wondering, is €500 enough to last the 3 days for two people?

Thanks for all the info so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

So, I'm finally off to Paris on Tuesday morning- hopefully there won't be any flight delays with all that's going on over there.

All of the ideas above are fantastic and we would love to do them all. We are just going for 3 days- coming back Friday morning and I'm wondering will I be able to fit all of these in and if not, what are the things we cannot leave without seeing?

Also just wondering, is €500 enough to last the 3 days for two people?

Thanks for all the info so far :)

I'm a student living here until June :) Yeah 500 should be loads for 3 days, you can find real value in restaurants if you're willing to look - general rule would be try and find a place with at least tourists as possible, as they tend to rip off customers. The food is great though!

Try and avoid the Metro late at night as it's pretty dodgy, taxis are pretty cheap as well (compared to Ireland!) Just watch out for rogue cabbies as well... St. Michel across from the Notre Dame is a good place to go out, a lot of student bars, as well as Scottish and Irish pubs. (It's good to talk with Irish people when I'm over here, to keep my sanity!) Also, just learn the basic French phrases and they will appreciate the effort (For food: Je prends - I'll have)

Hope thats some help :)

Advertisement