Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how important is frame size ?

• 12-10-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Im buying a new bike very soon, a carerra subway 1 hybrid- thanks to the great advice I got from users on this forum-Thanks:)

Anyway this bike comes in 18,20 and 22'' frame, and Halford don't stock 22''-this is 'special order'.

Anyway, I've only just started cycling and have been using my girlfriends MTB, which has about a 16'' frame..I didn't notice any issues but then again, I don't have a clue when it come to cycling.

I'm just about 6'1 tall, if I go with the 20'' frame I can get the bike today, if I pick the 22'' I have to wait a 10 days or so.

They have nothing on display in halfords over a 20'' so I cant exactly just try both sizes and see which is better...

Is it really going to make much of a difference? Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Very important. It's more like a suit than a pair of shoes, in that you can make small alterations to fit better, but a completely incorrect size will make you look ridiculous.

While an ill-fitting suit might just make you look like you borrwed your Dad's, a bike could cause problems with your back/neck. It's really best to get the right size.

Having said that I don't know whether a 20" or a 22" is the right size for you, but don't rush into it because you can have it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I am 6'1" and have always cycled a 56cm which is 22" frame.

Wouldn't go smaller if it was me as bike fit is important to how much of a reach you have to your handlebars. You will also need to show a lot more seatpost on a smaller bike to have your saddle to the correct height where your knees are only slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal arc and your knees aren't pointing out when you cycle (always an easy way to spot somebody on a bike too small / saddle too low).

I would wait / shop around and do try to sit on the bike before purchasing. Bring a mate who knows a bit about cycling and you will get free pointers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Very important. It's more like a suit than a pair of shoes, in that you can make small alterations to fit better, but a completely incorrect size will make you look ridiculous.

While an ill-fitting suit might just make you look like you borrwed your Dad's, a bike could cause problems with your back/neck. It's really best to get the right size.

Having said that I don't know whether a 20" or a 22" is the right size for you, but don't rush into it because you can have it today.

Thanks, my mate, who is my height and a courier has a 23'' frame , he told me to go for the 22

edit: this probably sounds stupid, but if I took the 20'', if I raise the saddle a bit should this not compensate if my size was actually a 22''?

In the store, one of the bikes I liked(same as one I mentioned but with 1 fixed gear) was only available in an 18'' frame, the guy in the shop said he would have thought I would need a 20'' frame, but told me to sit on the 18'' one that was on display, he said if it felt ok then it was ok.

Tried it, can't say it felt too bad..bit confused still..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

this probably sounds stupid...

but, if the frame size is an inch or so too small for you, can the saddle not be upped a bit to compensate for this?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cojomo2 wrote: »

but, if the frame size is an inch or so too small for you, can the saddle not be upped a bit to compensate for this?
    Yes, and you'll probably need a longer stem also

I have 56cm Scott and 58cm Focus road bikes, a 56cm Giant TT bike and a 58cm Dolan track bike, and tbh, I hardly notice the difference (I guess that probably means my ideal size is about 57cm!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

My 2c worth is that u can't compare heights with other people as inside leg is just as important - when you stand over the frame there should be around 2" between the frame and the top of your inside leg - taller people than you may still have shorter legs and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But doesn't also depend on the frame, some frames slope so you'll have a much bigger clearance than you would the equivalent size with a straight frame so the above wouldn't always be necessarily be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mc1303

this old nugget again
    edit: this probably sounds stupid, but if I took the 20'', if I raise the saddle a bit should this not compensate if my size was actually a 22''?

while the vertical frame size is whats usually quoted the length of the top tube is also as important if not more important .. this will determine how stretched out you are on the bike , if its to big you will put strain on the joints elbow , shoulder neck etc to short and you will feel bunched up. I would say start off with the stand over height , this is usually set to allow some space between the bike and your wobbbly bits they see how the bike feels and either go up or down from there..

there arer lots of frame sizing guides out there but the best way is to get on teh bike in the shop, usually they will put the bike up on a trainier , and let you pedal it for a while se how it feels wear the shoes that you plan to cycle in when going to test a bike

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

It's a fair question, but bike sizing isn't that simple.
    Although it's usually just the height that is quoted, there can also be differences in the length between the seat and the handle bars, the reach of the bars, the length of the pedal crank etc etc.

A taller bike frame may be bigger in other areas too. You NEED to try the 22" and see how if feels.

Don't mind what the muppets in the shop tell you, they just want to sell you something they have in stock.

You are paying a few hundred yoyo's and will probably spend many hours on the bike, don't get the wrong size because you don't want to wait 2 weeks to get the right size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 yourdesiredname

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

mc1303 wrote: »
    this old nugget again

while the vertical frame size is whats usually quoted the length of the top tube is also as important if not more important .. this will determine how stretched out you are on the bike , if its to big you will put strain on the joints elbow , shoulder neck etc to short and you will feel bunched up. I would say start off with the stand over height , this is usually set to allow some space between the bike and your wobbbly bits they see how the bike feels and either go up or down from there..

there arer lots of frame sizing guides out there but the best way is to get on teh bike in the shop, usually they will put the bike up on a trainier , and let you pedal it for a while se how it feels wear the shoes that you plan to cycle in when going to test a bike

good luck

I had a number of problems throughout this year with either back, elbow or knee problems. I could adjust something on the bike which would cure one problem and this in turn would create a different problem elsewhere.

I took the bike to a bike shop where the lad there knew what he was talking about. A quick run with me in my kit on my bike and on the turbo trainer confirmed what he had suspected from the start: the frame was slightly too big for me. He sorted out the saddle height and adjusted the position of the handlebars and brake levers to get the best setting he could. In fairness he got it much better than I did, but still not 100% and he told me that this was to be expected with a misized frame. Long term solution is to get a new frame and a nice carbon one is under consideration
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

I found this fit calculator to be really useful:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mc1303

Thanks, my mate, who is my height and a courier has a 23'' frame , he told me to go for the 22

ask your mate can you ride his bike to test it if ti feels ok then you have a starting point measure the frame dimensions and compare these to the bike you want to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

shamwari wrote: »
    I had a number of problems throughout this year with either back, elbow or knee problems. I could adjust something on the bike which would cure one problem and this in turn would create a different problem elsewhere.

I took the bike to a bike shop where the lad there knew what he was talking about. A quick run with me in my kit on my bike and on the turbo trainer confirmed what he had suspected from the start: the frame was slightly too big for me. He sorted out the saddle height and adjusted the position of the handlebars and brake levers to get the best setting he could. In fairness he got it much better than I did, but still not 100% and he told me that this was to be expected with a misized frame. Long term solution is to get a new frame and a nice carbon one is under consideration
    :)

i did a bit of cycling in the summer on a 18' mtb and im 6ft,
    it felt ok but im suffering from tennis elbow on both sides since :mad:

Advertisement