Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure if this thread has been made. Geography, Possible to do between now and Exam

• 12-10-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

I'm repeating and would like another subject to fall back on, I have 5 hours of free classes a week that if I was to do Geography would be split up between that and art. I've done art but it clashes with chemistry so have to do outside school.

So just wondering if its possible to cover the course in this short space of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hughdini

Yeah i did geography for the year and i got an A1 in honours.
    The only thing is, i spent an hour every thursday morning for four months doing extra geography to catch up on some of the physcial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Hmm the course is realitivly easy, especially if you done geography before in JC. I wouldnt think it would be that much of a problem to cover within your time restraints. Worth giving a shot especially if you have the hours free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

You would have to do the fieldwork too its worth 20% of your exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Teutorix wrote: »

That's right. Here's the topics

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/LC_Geography_Prescribed_List_Of_Investigation_Topics_2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

But I could get notes of it right? Like in Biology I know you sure as hell wouldn't have to go on the trip to the seashore/habitat for you to know it.

• Advertisement

JayEnnis wrote: »
    But I could get notes of it right? Like in Biology I know you sure as hell wouldn't have to go on the trip to the seashore/habitat for you to know it.
    No it is a proper part of the exam, you need to go and measure all the stuff and write up a paper type thing on it which is marked. My teacher siad we couldnt just do it from notes.

Oh, and when is it due? Would it be possible to get done before the deadline? Still missing 20% will still have me up around a B1 if I do well.

Oh, and when is it due? Would it be possible to get done before the deadline? Still missing 20% will still have me up around a B1 if I do well.
    Not certain, It needs to be in sometime after Christmas, check if the class in your school has done theirs yet you could do it with them.

It was 30th April last year http://www.examinations.ie/exam/KeyDates_2010.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

No it is a proper part of the exam, you need to go and measure all the stuff and write up a paper type thing on it which is marked. My teacher siad we couldnt just do it from notes.

No you dont need to go. Its an incredibly boring day. If you just get the measurements of the rocks and whatever you'll be fine. Or you could just make them up - they wont know - honest!! Then you just follow a similar pattern to the others in your school. There were a few lads from last year that did that and they got on fine. They dont know for sure like if you go to a beach in November/December or not!!

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    No you dont need to go. Its an incredibly boring day. If you just get the measurements of the rocks and whatever you'll be fine. Or you could just make them up - they wont know - honest!! Then you just follow a similar pattern to the others in your school. There were a few lads from last year that did that and they got on fine. They dont know for sure like if you go to a beach in November/December or not!!
    Might skip it so, I fecking hate killarney :pac:

That's 2010, I'll be doing the 2011 LC this year.

Yes. It's very likely to be around the same date

Oh sorry, I get you now. Sure that gives me plenty of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

It's always around April anyway.

TBH you should go, especially if you want a high grade. You'll need to take loads of your own photos and notes- the more info you have the better, anything that makes your project stick out from everyone else's (it will be corrected by the examiner that does the exam)

Also the exam isn't 100% predictable. They've asked a lot of stuff they can and twist questions now - a bad exam could really separate grades, seriously. Having said that, if you study hard, yeah you'll do well :) Even more so if you like it!

wayhey wrote: »
    It's always around April anyway.

TBH you should go, especially if you want a high grade. You'll need to take loads of your own photos and notes- the more info you have the better, anything that makes your project stick out from everyone else's (it will be corrected by the examiner that does the exam)

Also the exam isn't 100% predictable. They've asked a lot of stuff they can and twist questions now - a bad exam could really separate grades, seriously. Having said that, if you study hard, yeah you'll do well :) Even more so if you like it!

The Geography classes just went on the trip :/ I got an A in it in the Junior so I'm good at the subject and liked it so I hope I'll do well. I'll enquire about it in school tomorrow!

Edit: Although I do know the area they went to very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I know if our school we do two trips so prehaps you could catch a late one ? Either way I wouldnt do the subject without going on the trip. Its one of those things that you should experience first hand so everything your writing down is easier for yourself to comprehend and also easier for you to make it more unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 telephone

Not neccesarily. I wasn't able to go to the trip last year when I did the Leaving and I ended up getting 99/100 in the project. If you put the work in, you'll be fine.

Advertisement