Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large boat or vessel off the coast at Malahide / Portmarnock. Any ideas what it is?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

I was down at Low Rock yesterday (checking conditions for a quick dip) when I noticed the large vessel straight off the coast at present.

It kind of looks like an “oil tanker” with the front three quarter of the bow missing.

It also seems to have a large mechanical arm or winch off its portside.

Any ideas Folks?

B

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is it Irish Lights?

granuaile.jpg

Check-out this thread

Based on the marine traffic link she was there last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

is it the boat laying the cable for the interconnector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It's definitely irish lights. I saw it yesterday myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

its the irish lights vessel was off howth at the weekend. may have been out servicing/replacing the hazard warning marks off lambay island

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Martron wrote: »
    is it the boat laying the cable for the interconnector?

Defo not cable lay ships are 100x bigger
    +1 Irish Lights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Would that not depend on the length of cable they are laying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

That boat is a regular along the east coast repairing Lights, Buoys and it may also assist with some surveys. It was off Barnegeera for a few weeks last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Its home port is Dun Laoghaire if anyone cares for a closer view. One of the old light ship is based there too, I think its still for sale if anyone wants to buy there own mobile lighthouse?

Advertisement