Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat left alone in house for 5+ days

Options
  • 12-10-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I just wanted to see what people on here thought about this. We got a phonecall yesterday from a woman asking us could we go to her house to feed her cat for her. That wasn't a problem at all, I have five cats myself so obviously have a certain softness toward them. She knew this because had come looking for her cat before once when it went missing and we ended up talking about cats. Anyway, I then found out that by the time she rang the cat had been in the house on it's own for five days already. This had been planned! They had went away to England on a trip. The reason they rang is because their trip has had to be extended (don't know how long for) because of some health reasons.

They did leave out loads of food and a big saucepan of water. However, the cat did eat the fresh stuff we brought up because the other stuff was obviously gone stale. The cat was so unbelievably friendly, purring like mad, in around our legs etc. It broke my heart to think of it on it's own like that, and broke it even more to have to leave it alone again.

I don't know what to do. Even though they only asked us to put out a load more food I decided to only put out a small amount and go up each day until they get back (don't know when that is though!!!) so that the cat gets a bit of attention.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just wondering what everybody thinks about this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think I would be tempted to report them, but its down to you and how well you know them, maybe have a word when they get back.
    I have left my cats for 24hrs before, but that is as long as I would leave them alone. Did they have outdoor access?
    I would do what you said, call in daily to check on them. Poor cats, it doesn't take much for someone to call in and give fresh food and water for few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

In fairness, you didn't mention if the cat gets out at all?
    Is it locked in the house or does it get it?
    If it gets out it could be a hunter and require less food put out than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

My first inclination would be to advise reporting them!:mad: I'd check with ISPCA or some other guidelines to see if 5 days unattended is seen as neglectful.

But if you have some rapport with them, I'd suggest either offering to drop in on the cat in future if the owner ever needs to go away - maybe it could be reciprocated if you're ever away in future too.

Alternative, is to seriously suggest the owner invest in a couple of automated feeders - they're not that expensive and at least the food would be slightly fresher. You could let the owner know that the cat wasn't eating the dried food anymore as it was obviously stale - that might just scare said owner into thinking twice about leaving the cat for so long without fresh food!

Good luck either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

that has to be animal cruelty if the cat was locked up in the house. I have 4 cats so they have plenty of company, im heading away this weekend so will have a friend pop over on Saturday afternoon and change water and food. Poor cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

It is a form of cruelty but then again the woman did phone to see if they can be fed. You dont know the persons situation could be a loved one dying all of a sudden (god forbid) so probably feed the cats and find out the situation before doing anything you are now looking after the cats. Perhaps it might be best to find out and offer to fed cats if they go away again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The cat may be an indoor one so don't be letting it out. TBH it would be a lot more cruel if the owners just left it outside before leaving. At least it is not out in the cold and it is coming up to halloweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

What is to be gained by reporting them really - the cat taken away? I would offer to cat sit if the need ever arose again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You could leave a cat alone for 2 days, or maybe 3 days in an emergency, but 5+ is just taking the piss. I would be tempted to report, but would only consider this a last resort as it's easily possible that the cat could just be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You could leave a cat alone for 2 days, or maybe 3 days in an emergency, but 5+ is just taking the piss. I would be tempted to report, but would only consider this a last resort as it's easily possible that the cat could just be destroyed.

I would agree. The problem with an issue like this is, it very much depends on the cat, it's individual environment, personality and history. For example, someone said that at least the cat was indoors, not outside in the cold. Maybe so, although my cat would be climbing the walls to get out if I left her inside for days, whatever the weather. My point being that cats vary so much. That fact that the cat was purring and happy when you walked in, suggests she was not in an emotionally distressed state. You haven't mentioned any physical problems, so I assume it was alright physically. She could be used to be alone for long periods, and while it's far from ideal, it's not extreme cruelty either.

Some people just don't realise domestic animals need constant care and company, they shouldn't be left for long periods alone, unfortunately it's all too common. I prefer to think of this as ignorance, rather than cruelty. If you know these people well, maybe you could talk to them and suggest something. Could you help them out? For example, could you suggest that you'd take in their cat when they go away again (I know you probably need another cat like a whole in the head!). Alternatively, would you be willing to visit every other day, to check on the cat, when they're next away? Ideally a neighbour should be able to help these people out, perhaps you could act as go-between if you spot a friendly dog or cat owning neighbour, who might be more than happy to help.

You're obviously a very kind and thoughtful animal lover, that woman is lucky she had you to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i go to my parents every saturday night and return home sunday, i bring my cat with me but on occasion he has fecked off on me on the saturday and not come home before i leave, so he gets left behind! :eek:

i have asked the neighbours (who love him!) if this happens again can i leave food with them and they've happily agreed. but he would still have to spend the night outside (which he has no problem with as long as its within HIS schedule!)

if it was a case of having to go for two nights, i'd just have to drive back over after one night and hope he was home for me to get him. thats not happened yet though.

i think five nights is waaaaaaay too long but i wouldn't report her for it. just maybe offer to help whenever she needs to go away again if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Hi All,

Thanks for the replys. Just in answer to one posters question, the cat is apparently a totally indoor cat and was locked in for the 5 days (actually 7 by today) and had no access to outdoors. The cat is in good health and unbelievably friendly. The situation they are in at the moment is awful (won't go into details) and can't be helped. But it was the fact that they had planned initially to leave it for 5 days without company that really annoyed me.

Anyway, I told my mam (who is acquainted with the couple) if she was talking to them to let them know that we would take it in for a while if needs be. I just didn't think calling in for 5 minutes a day was going to be adequate company for the little one. Anyway long story short she is now snuggled up nice and comfy in our spare bedroom, she's been out half the day with my OH in his office as well. The owner was absolutely thrilled with the idea, couldn't believe someone would offer! One of them will be home at the weekend so we'll see what happens then. At least they'll know who to come to in the future should the need arise.

The couple's situation may actually require their relocation to England so I'm going to find out what their plans are and figure out what to do after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The longest I leave my cats unattended is 24 hours, but I have gone on holidays for two weeks and paid a pet feeder to come to the house once a day, count them, check they're okay, refill water and food bowls and pick poo out of the litter trays (and change the whole litters once a week).

The once-a-day sitter option is far superior than kennelling - many cats don't take well to kennels at all, and for my guys, disgruntled as they are by the change in routine of them being in the house and us not being here, they're happier home than they would be in a strange kennel.

The cats get no outdoor time when we're on holidays - they have the run of the (four bedroom) house, but they don't get access to the catproof yard - mainly because I can't expect the sitter to hang around for more than their paid hour a day if one of the cats starts carrying on like a two bob watch and refuses to come back indoors after a runabout.

We leave the radio on while we're away too - the background noise helps to eradicate the tension of odd noises scaring the cats in the silence of the deserted house.

Generally they're happy to see us when we get home, but not as content as they are on a day to day basis when we're here all the time. I also run a Feliway diffuser in their room while we're away, helps mitigate the stress.

I wouldn't leave for a week, just leaving a huge bowl of dry food for them - that stuff does have a shelf life, it's not nuclear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Milly33

JKM wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for the replys. Just in answer to one posters question, the cat is apparently a totally indoor cat and was locked in for the 5 days (actually 7 by today) and had no access to outdoors. The cat is in good health and unbelievably friendly. The situation they are in at the moment is awful (won't go into details) and can't be helped. But it was the fact that they had planned initially to leave it for 5 days without company that really annoyed me.

Anyway, I told my mam (who is acquainted with the couple) if she was talking to them to let them know that we would take it in for a while if needs be. I just didn't think calling in for 5 minutes a day was going to be adequate company for the little one. Anyway long story short she is now snuggled up nice and comfy in our spare bedroom, she's been out half the day with my OH in his office as well. The owner was absolutely thrilled with the idea, couldn't believe someone would offer! One of them will be home at the weekend so we'll see what happens then. At least they'll know who to come to in the future should the need arise.

The couple's situation may actually require their relocation to England so I'm going to find out what their plans are and figure out what to do after that.

Glad to see that all worked out well and the cat is happy...

I am very surprised by a lot of people jumping straight in the gun to say report them, first without knowing the suituation.. You need a little more information before doing stuff like this, you would never know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Milly33 wrote: »
    Glad to see that all worked out well and the cat is happy...

I am very surprised by a lot of people jumping straight in the gun to say report them, first without knowing the suituation.. You need a little more information before doing stuff like this, you would never know

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Perhaps the owner was just ignorant and has learned from this that you don't have to be afraid to ask for help, great things have worked out. The owner of the cat is very lucky to have such a good neighbour which can be hard to come by these days.
    Good on yah!

Doubt much would be done if you did report her anyway, best thing it just to offer to cat sit if they have to go anywhere for more than 24 hours that the cat loves company and you don't mind.

It's good the cat is indoors though litter tray could of ponged though, at least the cat had access to water and was save from cars etc.

To be honest, reporting them would have been our last resort. If they had of refused to let me take care of it or something then it would have been a different story.

I don't think they actually know many people in the area so probably thought they'd look weird for asking or something?!
    Anyway i'll be sure to let them know that i'm more than willing to help out.
    As it stands she's explored the whole place. She's not exactly making friends with my lot but they don't seem to mind her too much.

I seem to be attracting feline problems these days. My brother rang me this evening to let me know there was a tiny kitten in our back yard! It followed its stray mother here. I had a look at our cameras after and saw her arrive, kitten in tow around 3 this afternoon. She'd been hanging around and we knew she was pregnant and had had a litter somewhere. We were waiting until she finished nursing to capture her and get her spayed and released.

In the process of trying to trap it now. It's tiny though and I don't know if it'll even set the trap off.
    Our work is never done eh.:rolleyes:

You may have discovered reporting the owner to be pointless.

They're required by law to provide adequate food, water and shelter for their animal, along with veterinary care when required, which basically they were doing. It's not part of the law to also provide entertainment or company for the animal. When they thought they weren't going to be home on time, they DID contact you to feed their animal.

Their cat may be human-friendly but aggressive to other cats or dogs, and it's not feasible for them to get another pet to keep it company.

Plenty of cats function happily as the reigning resident of a single-pet household. Yes, it was probably pretty bored without its human companions for a few days, but I can't see what you'd hope to achieve by reporting them. Cats aren't dogs - they aren't necessarily better off in a kennel environment when their owner is away. The change of environment can be very stressful, especially for an indoor-only cat.

Yes, the situation wasn't ideal, and it's nice that the cat's now with you, but this doesn't strike me as either cruelty or neglect. The animal isn't wanting for food, water, light, shelter, or warmth; it isn't wanting for veterinary care, and the situation is neither long-term or a regular occurence (e.g. the cat is not being kept in an abandoned house, and I assume the owners aren't travelling six months of the year).

I don't think it was cruelty or negelt either, just a little unwise. I never said in any of my posts that I was thinking of reporting them, they obviously cared enough to ring when they knew they wern't going to make it back. All the same, I did think it was a bit much to leave it on it's own for so long. And the food was obviously gone stale as well after being out so long.
    Anyway, I just wanted to see what others thought. I personally wouldn't leave my ones for even a day without someone at least calling in to check on them, clean litter trays etc. I would be concerned about one of them falling ill and noone knowing for days.
    Anyway, like I said earlier, they were genuinly amazed that someone would offer to mind the cat, they just didn't realise that was something people offered to do I suppose.
    All's well that ends well and all that!:)

That's true, all's well that ends well. I agree, I couldn't leave mine longer than 36 hours (e.g. I go out Saturday morning and come home Sunday night) without someone to call in - knowing my lot, one of them would manage to hang themselves on a blind cord, or get a paw caught in something, or something random like that.

I can't leave my animals that long now anyway - with the addition of a dog to the mix, it certainly ties me to the house more. If I were to go away for a long weekend, e.g. leave Friday night, back Sunday night, the dog would go to a kennel for the two nights and the cats would have a caller on Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Am I the odd one out then? :D
    I feel horrible & guilty & stressed when I have to leave our kitty alone on the occassional day trip that I do to Dublin (gone from 9am-9pm)
    First thing i normally do when i get home is sit on the floor and play with him for 10 minutes before i even take off my coat sometimes! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Am I the odd one out then? :D
    I feel horrible & guilty & stressed when I have to leave our kitty alone on the occassional day trip that I do to Dublin (gone from 9am-9pm)
    First thing i normally do when i get home is sit on the floor and play with him for 10 minutes before i even take off my coat sometimes! :rolleyes:

Don't worry, you're not the only one. We feel guilty leaving ours at home during the day but they're always delighted to see us when we get home.

The worst bit is our male has adopted an annoying habit of charging into the hall when I start to set the alarm and jumps up on the hall table beside me and head-butts my arm to look for attetion.
    He then puts on this awful "woe-is-me" look when I leave the house and he stares through the glass panels looking distraught as I get into the car.
    Proper emotional blackmail!!!!

Heroditas wrote: »
    Don't worry, you're not the only one. We feel guilty leaving ours at home during the day but they're always delighted to see us when we get home.

The worst bit is our male has adopted an annoying habit of charging into the hall when I start to set the alarm and jumps up on the hall table beside me and head-butts my arm to look for attetion.
    He then puts on this awful "woe-is-me" look when I leave the house and he stares through the glass panels looking distraught as I get into the car.
    Proper emotional blackmail!!!!

Our guy sits on the front window sill when we are leaving and is invariably sitting right at the front door when we open it on our return with a sad face and a few pathetic miaows to make me feel even worse! :o

You guys are definately not alone. A lot of the reason I got upset about the cat being on its own is because of the total opposite environment our lot is in.
    I work downstairs from where I live, i'm constantly up and down the stairs to pop in and say hello. In fact i'm working a lot from the apartment at the moment. And my OH works from home so between us our cats are virtually NEVER alone (and vice versa). In fact our youngest one has developed a habit of pushing our front door open, running down the stairs, and waiting to run into the office just as I open the door. Cheeky fecker! I wouldn't have it any other way though. Love all of them to death.
    Those anyone else agree that cats are just the best, most rewarding pets ever!?

By the way, in case anyone is interested, we managed to catch that little kitten I mentioned earlier. It's just about 8 weeks i'd say. It's tucked away in our bathroom with a nice comfy bed, litter tray and water. And so begins the long arduous task of socialisation. Should be fun!
    That's a total of 7 cats/kittens in house tonight.

Getting a bit worried now. One of the owners was supposed to be back at the weekend but we havn't heard a word from them all week or this weekend. :confused: We don't really know what to do. We have a severly overcrowded house at the moment. 4 of our own, my parents cat (who has adopted us of late) this cat and a little kitten, that's seven! And our place is not that big. :(
    We're happy to help of course, but we kind of were expecting some word this weekend.

Any update JKM??

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

we havn't heard a word from them all week or this weekend.
    They left in a hurry without their cellphone chargers, are now out of battery and that's their only record of your number? :confused:

The update is this; still haven't heard any word. My mam has been trying to contact them, but to no avail. We had to put the cat back up to the house because it was getting very distressed around our lot (even though ours were not too bothered). We've been going up a few times a day to feed her and spend some time with her. She is such a gorgeuos cat, extremely friendly. She definately loves our company but was not used to feline company so it seemed unfair to subject her to it at our place.
    Every time we go up she's waiting at the door for us. We try to spend as much time with her as we can. Even put on 'the late late show' this evening and sat with her for a while. It broke our hearts to leave her again. The house is very cold (big old farmhouse) and she seems to have a bit of a cold now.
    We're totally at a loss of what to do. I can't fathom why they havn't called. They know our number and havn't tried to contact once since the initial phonecall. We really don't know what to do next. :confused:
    My mam is going to try and get one of the owners mothers number. It's like they've just dropped everything and p***ed off. I wish if they don't intend on coming back that they would at least have the manners to let us know that so we could make alternative arrangements, but nothing. Even if they do intend on returning, do they not care to know how their cat is doing?!
    Personally we couldn't leave our lot for a day without checking on them or making appropriate arrangements.
    We're thouroughly confused and worried. :( It's been almost 3 weeks now since they left for their '5 day' trip. Just to point out, according to the information we have received, the situation they are going through is extremely difficult and could not really have been anticipated. However, even though it does allow a certain amount of leniency toward the situation, it certainly doesn't absolve them of any responbibility for the wellbeing of their pet (in our opinion anyway).
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks for your concern.

Royan, just to answer your question specifically, our number if widely available to the general public as we run a local business. They are customers of ours and that is the reason why they chose us to contact us initially.
    As I said (I think?) in a previous post, she was aware I had cats due to a conversation we had when her girl went missing and she came to us inquiring if we had seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Cats are good at curling up so don't worry about the cold house.

I'm assuming it is some kind of family emergency? Do they have any friends/relatives nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

The house is very cold (big old farmhouse) and she seems to have a bit of a cold now.

If the cold is looking like it's an actual problem (I know, "cats have fur, they're OK") for her, maybe something like this SnuggleSafe heatpad would be a help? We use one for our elder statesman, who's getting a bit stiff in the joints these days and likes to stay close to the radiator when it's on. Six minutes microwaving will give maybe ten hours of gentle heating if under a pad or blanket in a cat bed. If she's distressed I expect she'll be more susceptible to a touch of illness.

Advertisement