Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing dry dog food

Options
  • 12-10-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a 12kg bag of dry dog food rather than the normal 2kg I get as it would save me over a tenner but I don't know how it would stay fresh and where I would store it, normally i just dip the measuring cup into the pack to get the food out but the 12kg bag is so big and sort of flat stored. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Get a big plastic bin, from Woodies etc. They sell loads of types there.

I have a big one but i got it from Royal Canin couple of years ago. Its has a lid that clicks closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah, good idea (doh!) and then just empty the dry food straight into the 'bin' and click the lid shut - right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Ah, good idea (doh!) and then just empty the dry food straight into the 'bin' and click the lid shut - right?

Yep, exactly!! :)

Oh I just copped who you are:D, well from another forum i mean;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a 12kg bag of dry dog food rather than the normal 2kg I get as it would save me over a tenner but I don't know how it would stay fresh and where I would store it, normally i just dip the measuring cup into the pack to get the food out but the 12kg bag is so big and sort of flat stored. Anyone any ideas?

ZooPlus have these food containers on sale (cheapest on their German website):-

http://www.zooplus.de/shop/hunde/fressnapf/futterbehaelter/10561

I have just ordered one. Got good customer reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

andreac wrote: »
    Yep, exactly!! :)

Oh I just copped who you are:D, well from another forum i mean;)

Busted :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

paultf wrote: »
    ZooPlus have these food containers on sale (cheapest on their German website):-

http://www.zooplus.de/shop/hunde/fressnapf/futterbehaelter/10561

I have just ordered one. Got good customer reviews.

I have one - they're not airtight so not sure how fresh they keep the food but the pup hasn't complained yet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Atlantic Homecare sell plastic bins with rubber sealed lids - this is what I use. They are specifically for dog food. I think the size I have is the "large" one and it holds about a 15kg bag (depending on what food you use). The do a bigger one than this. Can't remember price but wasn't too expensive at all.

I know lots of the dog food companies (Royal Canin and JWB come to mind) give free bins to shops to give out when someone buys a big bag of food - might be worth a ring around larger stores to see if there are any at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You can also just put the bag in the bin instead of emptying it in. This is what I do with horse feeds that go off quickly, just as an extra measure for keeping the food fresh. After the first bag compare the last bit of food to the stuff in the new bag and you'll be able to see if it has discoloured or gone soft or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

At the moment royal canin have a promotion coming up for a free big bin this month so just keep your eyes peeled! :)

Advertisement