Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice: Taking an insightful Portraiture...

• 12-10-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am trying to take a portraiture of someone, which in its self is actually not that complicated. However, this is a college project so my subject has been chosen for. For 2 weeks or more I have been trying to get to know said person to try and gain some insight so I can capture something where there will be a connection between the Photo and the person who is the subject. Problem is that this subject, while a lovely guy, not a very open and expressive person. Actually quite the opposite. tbh I know about as much about this person as I did 2-3 weeks ago.
    Today I have decided to try another rout and I was hoping to read up on advice (books, web pages, videos... does not matter actually) on how to take a meaningful portrait photograph and actually surprised to find this area quite thin on documentation.

What I am hoping is that someone will be able to point me at a good book or website that looks at portraiture. Specifically not the technical stuff (ie lighting, lenses, exposure, etc) as I am not struggling there. More about how to make a connection with the subject, advice on how to portray a thought about someone into a portrait photo

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You need books on social skills rather than photographic skills then. Books like 'How to win friends and influence people' are going to be far for useful here than '101 guide to lighting like I do'. Also, Roland Barthes and Susan Sontag both writings on portraits and a connection between photographer and photographee.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Pipe smokers always look insightful. Give'm a pipe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

humberklog wrote: »
    Pipe smokers always look insightful. Give'm a pipe?
    lol Can you bveleive we have already taken a few like that :D

Fajitas, not sure the 'How to win friends and influence people' is what I am looking for. Although... maybe thinking on it. But later, I think Roland Barthes and Susan Sontag might be more along what I am looking for. Anything specific in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

lol Can you bveleive we have already taken a few like that :D

Fajitas, not sure the 'How to win friends and influence people' is what I am looking for. Although... maybe thinking on it. But later, I think Roland Barthes and Susan Sontag might be more along what I am looking for. Anything specific in mind?

I think Dale Carnegie classic release will go a long way in helping you to achieve your adjective. :) Here's a tip for nothing.... Just act like a dog ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

A huge part of being a photographer, especially portraiture, is your ability to be able to portray your subject in a manner which those viewing your images can learn something about them.

You've already figured out that your subject is a fairly quiet, introverted person....you know what to do.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Tell him you have feelings for him, you want to be more than just friends, that you want to take the relationship to the next level...

Then get it out... the camera that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Fajitas, not sure the 'How to win friends and influence people' is what I am
    looking for. Although... maybe thinking on it.

I'd disagree...

The principles of the book, courtesy of Wikipedia;
      Fundamental Techniques in Handling People 1. Don't criticize, condemn, or complain. 2. Give honest and sincere appreciation. 3. Arouse in the other person an eager want. Six Ways to Make People Like You 1. Become genuinely interested in other people. 2. Smile. 3. Remember that a person's name is, to him or her, the sweetest and most important sound in any language. 4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves. 5. Talk in the terms of the other person's interest. 6. Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely. Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking 1. Avoid arguments. 2. Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never tell someone that he or she is wrong. 3. If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically. 4. Begin in a friendly way. 5. Start with questions to which the other person will answer yes. 6. Let the other person do the talking. 7. Let the other person feel the idea is his/hers. 8. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view. 9. Sympathize with the other person. 10. Appeal to noble motives. 11. Dramatize your ideas. 12. Throw down a challenge; don't talk negatively when a person is absent; talk only about the positive. Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment 1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation. 2. Call attention to other people's mistakes indirectly. 3. Talk about your own mistakes first. 4. Ask questions instead of directly giving orders. 5. Let the other person save face. 6. Praise every improvement. 7. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to. 8. Encourage them by making their faults seem easy to correct. 9. Make the other person happy about doing what you suggest.

If you're not convincing him to do what you want him to, it looks like the perfect book for you.
    But later, I think Roland Barthes and Susan Sontag might be more along what I am looking for. Anything specific in mind?

'Camera Lucida' and 'On Photography' respectively. Although I'm not sure it's exactly what you want out of it. Maybe, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

When you mentioned those two I looked up books in the library and 'Camera Lucida' and 'On Photography' were the two I ended up looking through. Will take them out and go through them more, thanks

As for not getting him to do what I want... Its not about that, its about not being able to figure out how to portray him correctly. However, I have been giving all this a lot of thought and had a brain wave and I am going to try another approach and I feel confident this one will work.
    I will say that 'How to win friends and influence people' looks like a good book so I will be getting it when I am not as swamped.

Thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

"Problem is that this subject, while a lovely guy, not a very open and expressive person. Actually quite the opposite. tbh I know about as much about this person as I did 2-3 weeks ago."

Not sure what the problem is. You have formed the opinion that this person is
    - nice
    - but not expressive

A good portrait would therefore convey an image of a person who is perhaps an introvert, perhaps shy,perhaps vulnerable, but also kind/friendly.

How do you convey that?
    - What would you like your subject to wear?
    - What should he context/background of the photo be?
    - How do you want the subject to appear ( ie lighting, pose)
    then
    - where do you want to take the portrait?
    - when? ( morning/noon/night)
    - in what location/milieu?
    - head/hands/both?

Enjoy!
    - FoxT

Advertisement