Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which computer for me

• 12-10-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Been cycling regularly for about 3 months now. Was saving for a new bike however have developed the opinion that its not the bike rather the person cycling it that matters. So now im trying to up my training. Ive successfully gone from 105 kg down to 91.5kg so far in a short time and really improved my fitness levels on my current bike. So im going to spend some of the money i have save on a cycling computer that hopefully I will be able to carry over tom my next bike whenever that is.

My question to all here is, which computer is right for me. I plan on doing 60k routes hopefully twice a week and want to compete in a triathlon this summer. I was thinking the edge 500 would be a solid investment. Especially for those of us who love data. I want to try build on each cycle so maybe the standard 30 euro computer may not provide me with the information im looking for

Is the any better options out there (not 705, no really interest in the maps).

Also if anyone knows of any good deals please let me know

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

macken04 wrote: »
    I want to try build on each cycle so maybe the standard 30 euro computer may not provide me with the information im looking for
    What information are you looking for? :)

There is always the risk of information overload when you go spending 300 or 400 euro on a fancy sat nav, which means that any training can become unfocussed or overreaching.

I'd be of the opinion that you'd be better off spending the €50 on a decent functionality computer and then upgrading to the top-level gear later on when you have a better grip on your training and you're doing 150km+ rides.

I've a cateye strada cadence, which is €42. It's wired, so it's a tad messy, but I've found cadence to be ridiculously useful in getting more efficient at riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Thanks for the reply

im looking for hart rate and cadence. Im into planning my training so i can get the most out of the little time i currently have. I suppose the rational behind my current choice is its a long-term investment. The product is quite new and updateable, I would see it as something i could keep for a long period of time.

Im currently just using my iphone as a gps computer, but its very limited in the information it can tell me. I would like to be able to look @ a breakdown of my cycle and go this is where i can improve. Then go out next time with a goal in mind.

Would you know of any other products that would provide me with that level of information. I do see the price as a serious barrier to me purchasing the product, however i can clearly see the benefits of it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you are doing Tris would a computer you can use both on and off the bike not be more useful? You can mount the Garmin Edge 500 on a 310XT wriststrap, albeit awkwardly, but I think all you need is this:

Polar CS100 with HR/Cadence

If you are training along the same routes then avg/max HR along with speed and an assessment of the weather conditions should give you some idea of how you are progressing, good use of the lap function will let you break it down further.

thanks for the recommendation, yes it looks like a great option actually. Would there be much of a difference between this and a gps device?? Im going to look into the polar brand some more. Have you used ider this or the garmin voodoo??

thanks for the recommendation, yes it looks like a great option actually. Would there be much of a difference between this and a gps device?? Im going to look into the polar brand some more. Have you used ider this or the garmin voodoo??

I moved from the Polar to the 500. The 500 has lots more data: GPS, temperature, gradient, etc. but this doesn't sound like it would be much use to you really. The polar was a great computer, I actually preferred the screen on it, much easier to read. If it comes down to price versus function, then I think it's probably what you are looking for. Yes, Garmin training centre is a neat piece of software but I don't find it an amazing leap in analysing performance. You can obviously measure data versus time, which you can't on the polar unless, like I said, you are diligent in your lapping (hit the base of a hill, lap it, over the top, lap it, etc.).

For your triathlon it sounds like you really just want to do intervals (lap, lap, lap) and steady TT efforts, which are far easier to map on a simple tool like the polar. You just need to find your threshold heart rate and then train around that, I don't think a 500 will add anything more useful.

• Advertisement

ive seen to wrist band for the 500 online. i would expect that for the 179.00 pounds sterling they would include it. I currently have not been running though. so i could hold off on a wrist strap. Im no trawling other forums for some more info on both products

Thanks
    Dave

ive seen to wrist band for the 500 online. i would expect that for the 179.00 pounds sterling they would include it. I currently have not been running though. so i could hold off on a wrist strap. Im no trawling other forums for some more info on both products

Thanks
    Dave

I stuck it in a back pocket and held it in my hand on a run, a bit annoying but not a major thing. It's not included because it's not really made for it, it just happens the 310XT and the 500 use the same mounting.

yea dont know how much id trust a 20 euro strap with an expensive piece like the edge. the edge 500 looks like it provides the best long term investment. Id possibly never need anything more than what it offers.

For the last few weekends ive been doing mountain climbs just as a change from my more flat road cycles and have really enjoyed them. So im going to keep looking for other possibilities.

if anyone else has any more input id really appreciate the help

Thanks
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Or get a 310xt

yea dont know how much id trust a 20 euro strap with an expensive piece like the edge. the edge 500 looks like it provides the best long term investment. Id possibly never need anything more than what it offers.

Well, like I said it's the same mount as the bike so if you are happy keeping it secure at 70 km/hr over rough roads with a pair of rubber bands, then I don't think the wrist strap presents much of an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

For the last few weekends ive been doing mountain climbs just as a change from my more flat road cycles and have really enjoyed them. So im going to keep looking for other possibilities.

if anyone else has any more input id really appreciate the help

Thanks
    Dave

I wouldn't underestimate the 705 mapping feature. The fact that you can create your own routes, download them to the 705 and then use that to navigate your way around is very handy . I used it during our club sportive. came in handy when i arrived at a junction where the direction arrow had been worn out by traffic. I also used it when cycling in Spain. I plotted the route i intended to cycle before i left Ireland, and the Garmin guided me around the route.

And Finally, Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

07Lapierre wrote: »
    And Finally, Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
    Any chance my wife will accept that excuse when I tell her that I've spent €300 on a sat nav for the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

seamus wrote: »
    Any chance my wife will accept that excuse when I tell her that I've spent €300 on a sat nav for the bike?

Mine Did! :D

good point raised about the sat nav features. I took the plunge and read about 10 reviews of the 500. I did it, cost me about 220 euro. I do agree mapping would be a very handy extra, i do have my iphone 4 though which is handy for that. I always take it with me on a ride in case of emergency.

Im going to write a review of the 500 from the perspective of a novice getting into some more serious cycling.

Thanks for all the advice
    Dave

good point raised about the sat nav features. I took the plunge and read about 10 reviews of the 500. I did it, cost me about 220 euro. I do agree mapping would be a very handy extra, i do have my iphone 4 though which is handy for that. I always take it with me on a ride in case of emergency.

Im going to write a review of the 500 from the perspective of a novice getting into some more serious cycling.

Thanks for all the advice
    Dave

Good deal on the 500, is that for the whole bundle?

Yea brand new from handtec. Think it was 190 sterling including shipping. paypal converted it to around 220 euro. I was never gona buy it at current prices. Over 300 euro in my LBS and about 260 from crc. So i though i had a good deal on a long-term investment.

Hopefully it arrives before the weekend.

Advertisement