Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back to Education Allowance/€500 grant

• 12-10-2010 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Just a query

I was under the impression that once approved for BTEA (which I have, and commenced receiving it 2 weeks ago) under this scheme is there not a grant of 500 euro?

I was told that those approved would get it in October?

Thanks in advance for any info :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

I'm still waiting aswell, I was under the impression that it gets paid to you're account sometime in October but no sign of it yet. I'm going to give it another week or two then I'm going down to the welfare office to find out whats the story. I need to buy books for my course. I wouldnt hold my breath on it & with the Govt facing bankruptcy, all things like this are under review...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I'm still waiting and got approved 5 weeks ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

They say this week or next. Last year it came through on 15th Oct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Generation Terrorist

It's not this week because if it's true that it gets paid into your post office along with your regular payment, I was in my local post office earlier and they said there was my normal 196 there for me on thursday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

It's not this week because if it's true that it gets paid into your post office along with your regular payment, I was in my local post office earlier and they said there was my normal 196 there for me on thursday :(
    Mine not there this week also :(
    Did you not get them to pay the money direct to your bank instead of picking it up in the post office? Initially i got it in the post office but got it switched to the bank as getting to pick it up with the amount of lectures/classes I have was nearly impossible.

• Advertisement

zeds alive wrote: »
    Mine not there this week also :(
    Did you not get them to pay the money direct to your bank instead of picking it up in the post office? Initially i got it in the post office but got it switched to the bank as getting to pick it up with the amount of lectures/classes I have was nearly impossible.

I didn't get a choice to be honest - I just got a letter saying I had been approived for BTEA. No mention of post offices/banks/500 quid grants

C*nts the lot of em

I've already had to borrow nearly 170 quid for books

C*nts better hurry up and get it lodged next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

The reason why the Book Allowance can't be paid any sooner is that a certain percentage of people sign up for BTEA, and as soon as they get the book allowance either switch to a VTOS place or drop out of college. Unfortunately this means that the genuine people have to wait until all VTOS places are allocated before the BTEA allowance can be paid.

By the way your language is disgusting and un necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

That kind of language is unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

I was told because of the amount of people who, in previous years, dropped out as soon as they got the 500, it wont be paid until November. I don't see why they dont make them pay back the 500 out of their next job seekers claim or other SW claim, even if its a tenner a week or something. Typical Irish goverment just letting them away with it while the rest of us honest people have to go in debt to buy our books and supplies. Ive had to borrow around 350 already.

• Advertisement

Smarmy wrote: »
    I don't see why they dont make them pay back the 500 out of their next job seekers claim or other SW claim, even if its a tenner a week or something. Typical Irish goverment just letting them away with it while the rest of us honest people have to go in debt to buy our books and supplies. Ive had to borrow around 350 already.

You are mistaken. Nobody gets away with stealing €500. They are assessed with an overpayment and are made pay it back, it's either deducted from their weekly welfare payment or requested in full. But because of this fraud, it diverts precious time and resources away from working on the mountains of backlog. Don't be angry with Social Protection, be angry with the morans who think it's okay to steal.

uoluol wrote: »

By the way your language is disgusting and un necessary.

F*ck off

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

uoluol wrote: »
    You are mistaken. Nobody gets away with stealing €500. They are assessed with an overpayment and are made pay it back, it's either deducted from their weekly welfare payment or requested in full. But because of this fraud, it diverts precious time and resources away from working on the mountains of backlog. Don't be angry with Social Protection, be angry with the morans who think it's okay to steal.

Well if they do make them pay it back then fair play and I take it back. And I am angry at these morons because there are many of us who genuinely do want an education and do need the book allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Generation Terrorist banned for 7 days for language and poor behaviour to other users.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Anyone get the allowance yet? Checked again this week no joy!!

As far as I am aware, all the VTOS places have been confirmed and filled, so book allowance payments should be currently be processing. Most payments for third level courses have already been paid, so once these have been fully completed, the payments for the FETAC level 4 and level 5 second level courses are made.

If you are able to, you could drop into your local social protection office, and enquire. There are massive increases in numbers on BTEA this year, and if you call in person, your claim could be pulled from the pile and your payment processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I phoned my local SW office today and was told my grant will be paid into my b/a next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Im in a 3rd level course myself and still havent been paid either. And I was told October and either last Thurs or this one at the latest. But as usual they got it wrong and still havent been paid. Its kind of a pain too as I need it asap for books. Six weeks needing them and haven't been given the money :(
    Anybody got an idea of how it's paid? I'm getting paid directly into the bank and not sure if i'll get it that way or by cheque?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Im in a 3rd level course myself and still havent been paid either. And I was told October and either last Thurs or this one at the latest. But as usual they got it wrong and still havent been paid. Its kind of a pain too as I need it asap for books. Six weeks needing them and haven't been given the money :(
    Anybody got an idea of how it's paid? I'm getting paid directly into the bank and not sure if i'll get it that way or by cheque?
    I get the weekly payment's paid into my bank account and was told my grant would be paid into my bank account.

I don't know if it is the same for everyone though, sorry.

• Advertisement

I get the weekly payment's paid into my bank account and was told my grant would be paid into my bank account.

I don't know if it is the same for everyone though, sorry.

Thanks for the info. Are you in the Kings street office or a different one?

Thanks for the info. Are you in the Kings street office or a different one?
    No problem, no I am in the Mullingar office.

I phoned them and they told me, so maybe you could phone your local office (if it is possible) and they might be able to tell you?

No problem, no I am in the Mullingar office.

I phoned them and they told me, so maybe you could phone your local office (if it is possible) and they might be able to tell you?

Thanks for the help man. Na unfortunately my office is, lets just say, less than productive when it comes to giving ou answers to problems your having. Haha. Thanks for the advice all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 726courtown

Just checking that you have all sent in your letters of attendance from your depts. This is how they know you are attending college. They are not very clear on this matter at the start. I thought my proof of registration was all I needed to send in but they also wanted a letter from dept (Business) I was studying under.

Thanks for the help man. Na unfortunately my office is, lets just say, less than productive when it comes to giving ou answers to problems your having. Haha. Thanks for the advice all the same.
    No worries, hope you get sorted soon.

It is a nightmare trying to deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Procrastinator

Um has there been any updates on the book allowance for €500?:confused:

Um has there been any updates on the book allowance for €500?:confused:

Most have been paid it but still a few waiting. Try calling your local SW office and asking about it, sometimes they can put your application at the top of the pile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Procrastinator

Sounds cool!!!:) Thanks Dub, you rock!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

anyone else not get this yet? Im still waiting! I was on the phone to Kings Inn st 3 weeks ago and they said 7-10 days, I rang them again last week and they said I should get it this week. Just seeing if anyone else is getting this?
    I think they are trying to hold off until the budget when it may be chopped?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Still waiting, I have been on this for weeks now. What a complete joke and then I go to ring my local office and the phone rings out, morons. I hope I get it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

Got it today!
    Really needed it- under pressure to pay materials nearly a month and a half now

Delighted

DConway wrote: »
    Got it today!
    Really needed it- under pressure to pay materials nearly a month and a half now

Delighted

Ugh! :mad:

I am happy for yo but I check 365 there and no still nothing, I have been on this since the start of my course, what is taking so long? Can I ask you where are you from? I am from Limerick and still nothing. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MarcHilton

I got mine 2 weeks ago, my girlfriend, who's in the EXACT same SWO, is STILL waiting on hers. Nothing tonight either. Stunningly ridiculous.. she is struggling unbelievably with art supplies.

Well for anyone in Limerick still waiting for this, I may have a ray of hope! My friend who has still not sent in his letter got a call today from the office saying if he wants it he has to get it in this week because they are processing. Hopefully mine will come through as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭kukazhina

LIMERICK SOCIAL SERVICE
    THEY TOLD ME TODAY THEY ONLY NOW PROCESSING SO CUD BE AROUND 2-3WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

My husband is Limerick and also still waiting. Was told a few weeks ago that "hopefully" it would be paid before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

i just got mine from limerick city vec on friday. thank god. it says on the website it is usually paid the first week of college:rolleyes:

does anyone know if the budget will affect anyone already on BTEA??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Icky Thump wrote: »
    i just got mine from limerick city vec on friday. thank god. it says on the website it is usually paid the first week of college:rolleyes:

does anyone know if the budget will affect anyone already on BTEA??

A reduction of €8 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nicola123

I've been receiving my BTEA since October but still no sign of the €500 grant. Anyone heard anything about it in Limerick, most of the people on my course have gotten theirs already..

Nicola123 wrote: »
    I've been receiving my BTEA since October but still no sign of the €500 grant. Anyone heard anything about it in Limerick, most of the people on my course have gotten theirs already..

Wow the fact they your still waiting and its now 2011 is a disgrace. If I was you i'd pay your office a visit first thing tomorrow as everything should be reopened by then. And give them hell. By right it should of been paid as soon as they got all the documentation from you. No way it takes 2-3 months to process.

• Advertisement

I know it's a disgrace, i'm broke as a joke over it. But the welfare office in Limerick tends to still be using the Dell closure as a reason for them being backlogged with everything. I'll give it another whack tomorrow and see if they can give me some answers although I'm usually told they only take queries on a Thursday!?! even when there's no queue at the hatch. Grr..
    Thanks anyway!

I know it's a disgrace, i'm broke as a joke over it. But the welfare office in Limerick tends to still be using the Dell closure as a reason for them being backlogged with everything. I'll give it another whack tomorrow and see if they can give me some answers although I'm usually told they only take queries on a Thursday!?! even when there's no queue at the hatch. Grr..
    Thanks anyway!

Behind every social welfare staff member theres always an excuse. I'd think up a good sob story it might help your chances. Bunch of cowboys working in there id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Quick Question

Got granted the Back to Education Allownace in december 2010 and it siad on the conformation letter that i would be payed from 14 sep 2010 (back pay) and i will be issued a cheque but i have received no cheque yet. I made my first collection last week and got my normal rate and E500 with that

Is the E500 all my back pay or is it just some money off it and i will be issued a cheque with the rest of the back pay ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Quick Question

Got granted the Back to Education Allownace in december 2010 and it siad on the conformation letter that i would be payed from 14 sep 2010 (back pay) and i will be issued a cheque but i have received no cheque yet. I made my first collection last week and got my normal rate and E500 with that

Is the E500 all my back pay or is it just some money off it and i will be issued a cheque with the rest of the back pay ??

Think whoever told you that mis-informed you. As far as I know, and i'm not 100%, BTEA isn't backdate the same way Social Welfare is. They usually just start paying you from whatever date your they finish processing your payment. So you got your first week and your BTEA Allowance of €500. But from now on you should just get your weekly amount. I wasn't backdated anyways and it took them a few weeks to sort out my application.
    Also the fact that you signed up in December and they told you they would back date you to before you even applied seems completely farfetched. If you did get anything like that it would be from the time you actually applied.
    Hopefully this helps but I wouldnt get my hopes up for any cheque from them.

I started getting my weekly payment at the end of October and I was backpayed from the 1st week of October when I applied and this was paid into my bank account along with my weekly amount the first week I got anything from them but I didn't get my €500, it seems that different rules apply all over the country as to what way your payment comes through.

I started getting my weekly payment at the end of October and I was backpayed from the 1st week of October when I applied and this was paid into my bank account along with my weekly amount the first week I got anything from them but I didn't get my €500, it seems that different rules apply all over the country as to what way your payment comes through.

Maybe because I applied before college started and I was still receiving my JSA while my application was being processed thats why I received no backdated pay. So maybe I am wrong but they wouldn't back date you to a date before you applied that's for sure.

Advertisement