Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest Banoffee pie in Dublin

Options
  • 12-10-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭

Where (restaurant or Cafe/bar etc) can you get the nicest Banoffee Pie in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I find home made is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I have to agree, home-made wins each time! It's so simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mardi confectionery in deansgrange sell to the pubic from their factory, their banoffee is amazing
    i used them years ago in bewleys and dropped up the odd time to the factory to buy one for myself

sell to the pubic from their factory,

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

lol.

Ahem, ok well I'd agree the best one is the one you make yourself.
    I find that ones you get from a lot of cafes can have been sitting there too long and the banana goes off very quickly so it can ruin it a bit.

If you use unsalted butter with the crushed digestives (or crushed ginger nut biccys can be nice) it helps, some shop bought ones are too salty.
    I find the caramel you make yourself is the best but the Carnation tinned stuff is almost as nice. Very fresh whipped double cream for the top with a ton of sliced bananas mixed it and eating it within an hour of making it makes it the best tasting imo.

• Advertisement

lol.

Ahem, ok well I'd agree the best one is the one you make yourself.
    I find that ones you get from a lot of cafes can have been sitting there too long and the banana goes off very quickly so it can ruin it a bit.

Defo, I also find that if you keep it in a fridge that is too cold, the banana can harden which is equally bad.

It has to be just right.....

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Banana should only be added when serving !

Also - the carnation caramel is better if you pour into a saucepan and heat gently, and add a little cream (or butter....).

Agree muckety but oftens the case that when you order from a cafe they've had it sitting a while and the bananas go all yukky and brown n slimy bleah.

Love the idea of adding more butter to the caramel..it's heart attack on a plate anyway might as well go whole hog, might try that sounds yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

can anyone post the recipe? I would love to try at making a banoffee pie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

This is the recipe I always use. It's beautiful!!
    Such a pity about the fat content!

For the base:
    350g Digestive biscuits
    150g butter, melted

For the caramel:
    1 can of condensed milk
    125g butter
    2 tbsp golden syrup
    75g golden brown sugar

3 bananas
    Double cream
    Chocolate flakes

Method:
    1. Crush the digestive biscuits.
    2. Melt the butter. Add to the crushed digestives. Place into greased dish and press in firmly with the wooden spoon. Make sure to smooth over the layer with the back of the spoon so that you have an even layer.
    3. Put into the fridge to set.
    4. Over a medium hear, melt the butter in a saucepan.
    5. Add the condensed milk, golden syrup and sugar. Turn the heat to low and stir continuously for 12 to 15 mins until it reaches a dark golden colour. Be careful here because it can burn. Remove from the heat and pour over the biscuit layer.
    6. Then when it comes to serving, slice about 3 large bananas and add a layer of them over the caramel and then some whipped double cream over the bananas.
    7. To finish and to make it look amazing, grate some chocolate flakes over it!!

This recipe is so yum and is such a crowd pleaser all the time!!

• Advertisement

I just use the recipe on the Carnation tin, making the caramel from scratch using the Carnation condensed milk is nicest but 2nd best option is the ready made Carnation caramel. Some tins have millionaire slice recipe on it and some have the banoffee pie one.
    You can adjust it then to your liking, eg more bananas, chocolate flake or shavings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I made the banoffee recipe a while ago that's on the carnation website, except I used chocolate digestives and added 200g chocolate. It was delicious.

I saw a recipe on the bbc site that had pieces of a crushed up crunchie bar on it.
    Not sure I liked the sound of that.

I think milk chocolate is nice on the top so a regular flake crumbled on it is nice. Ginger nut biscuits can be nice as well as a base or choc. hob nobs, unsalted butter for sure though.

Passed by Lemon Cafe in Dublin the other day had already eaten so was too stuffed to go in but have heard they are good for their desserts op, might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Ok, I'll let the secret out,

I helped develop this fab dessert many, many years ago in a well know Bar Restaurant in Clonskeagh. (Anyone who can guess the establishment will know the recipe), which i have yet to find matched or equaled.

I have been checking out various recopies over the years and sadly a lot of places either use bought in variety or use the dreadful boiling of carnation milk in a tin for hours method to achieve a sticky and unpleasant substance they call toffee. I know the Mardi variety and sadly it too is not as good as the one i have (this said, they have other excellent cakes)

Firstly the only milk that should be used in the toffee recipe is EVAPORATED MILK. Once Quite difficult to find but now easily got in Lidl or Aldi. Secondly only REAL BUTTER should be used, not unsalted or cheap spread. Castor sugar is best along with golden syrup. Its the carmalisation of these ingredients that achieves an excellent toffee.

The Base is best made with Digestive biscuits and a 3/1 mix of Real butter and Margarine, this allows the biscuit base to set but not to an extent it is too hard.

For best results, the toffee mix, (which if made correctly will last for months in a sealed container refrigerated) is placed on the biscuit base soon after preparation of the base. Bananas obviously should only be put onto the toffee mix when cold and prior to use, they will go black after an extended period.

The Cream should be whipped with some vanilla essence and to finish, sprinkle flaked chocolate.

Now, the Toffee recipe. I will give this out to anyone who Pm's me only. Its a commercial recipe requiring a reasonably large sauce pan but as explained the toffee mix lasts a long time, it can also be used as a sauce or accompaniment with ice cream, steamed puddings and fillings etc. It is a cost effective recipe. The recipe must be followed exactly and it can not be deviated in anyway (Trust me, it took a long time to perfect). Finally the mix sets after cooling, this is when it can be stored. To portion for general use, take the amount required out and soften using a Microwave and pour.

OK, anyone wanting the recipe, PM me,

Happy Baking!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Thanks for that! I will give it a go for xmas when the large quantity will come in useful.

What other uses would you put it to? Its the same as dolche de leche (sp?) right? so could be used for chocolate caramel shortbread I hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

muckety wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I will give it a go for xmas when the large quantity will come in useful.

What other uses would you put it to? Its the same as dolche de leche (sp?) right? so could be used for chocolate caramel shortbread I hope?

Your Welcome. The mix could be best described as a Toffee fondant and is suitable for a number of applications such as steam puddings, fillings for Gateaux, served as a sauce with Ice Creams and as a filling with Paris Breast (Large Choux Buns). Unfortunately the mix does soften at room temperature over time so keep this mind. I'm not sure about caramel shortbread but might be worth a try.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

My OH makes the best Banoffee in Dublin - or anywhere!

But Yamamori on the quays do a really good one too :D

Advertisement