Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Sky and Eircom to UPC

• 12-10-2010 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Howdy ho people.

Sky got the cold shoulder there this morning (yes they tried "we'll give you 25% off for a year or 50% for 6 months" i said no)

Eircom also got kicked out of the sack. rang them said cancel it all (except what upc need) but they also used quite a few tactics to stop me from moving to upc claiming that its a cable company that when one thing goes it all goes, that the broadband is congested and will slow down at peak times and its unreliable.

can anyone give me some feed back on this ?

the package i've gone with was the boards deal €70 a month for phone, TV and Broadband (15mb) and get the installation and modem and all that jazz for free.

is it reliable ? does the speed keep up ? (i dont care for tv tbh i never watch it but others do)

cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Just on a side note i also use my ps3 and can get NAT type 1 with eircom by signing into PPPoe and that and it works wonderfully.

whats it like with UPC ? can i do this and get NAT 1 ?

cheers again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Made a similar move during the summer, couldn't be happier.

On the broadband front, moved from Eircom's "NGB" to 15MB with UPC. Consistently hit those speeds even at peak according to speedtest, only the odd case of slow down. Xbox live gaming is much improved though. Our max possible speed with eircom was around the 4MB mark based on line attenuation figures.

Left Sky, they tried to hit us with stealth charges at the end. As usual their customer support is absolutely awful. I do miss the interactive features for sports, plus the UPC menu software is awful, some channels are transmitted at a lower resolution than on Sky, some of the MTVs and Comedy (might be E4, not sure) actually look very blocky and like I'm streaming them over the internet. The boxes (think they are thompson) are also quite noisy and sometimes there are audio/visual hiccups with recordings. However I've had to deal with customer support twice and each time they have been very helpful. Most of these things are minor quibbles, I liked Sky but they were pretty pricey and customer service was bordering on abusive at times (I think they accused us of lying at one point, or taking our box at home away with us despite having two separate accounts).

Overall, very happy, saving money (phone has gone up because we were on a phone/internet package, once UPC get phones out here it will be bye-bye eircom).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

I'd be interested in feedback on this also

I'm actually holding out for UPC they only have Basic TV down our way at the moment, and nobody their knows when or if it will be upgrading

On the Sky front - if you’re out of your 12-month contract Sky can't hit you with jack-s**t, so tell them where to go.

Sky are getting more wise to it now, I tried calling their bluff last week saying I’m leaving, and saying it’s ridiculous that new customers get better deals than existing customers anyway I got some idiot at customer service saying.. blah blah UPC is not that good blah blah and wouldn't give any offer. :mad:

Advertisement