Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C-Section What to expect?

• 12-10-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Due my second baby in three weeks and baby has just been confirmed that he is in the breech postion with no or little chance of turning. So will have to have a section this time round. just wondering what to expect with regards to the procedure, recovery etc, so nervous now!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Due my second baby in three weeks and baby has just been confirmed that he is in the breech postion with no or little chance of turning. So will have to have a section this time round. just wondering what to expect with regards to the procedure, recovery etc, so nervous now!!
    I had a c-section in early April (my son needed it) - I have never experienced any other type of birth - I found the spinal block to be unpleasant but it was wonderful to see my son for the first time (he was crying as he was being taken out) and I did not see as much of my son for the first day (a lot of that is to do with the fact that he was very underweight). It does take a while to recover but I did not feel that it was a big deal. Hope that this reassures you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It's major surgery but if it is scheduled rather than emergency it's much easier to deal with. There will be about 16 people in the room with you, you'll have a gown and surgical socks on (v sexy), will most likely have a spinal block and catheter put in. Your doctor/midwife will go through the procedure with you to make it less scary.

Recoverywise, it can be tough, especially if you already have another child who will be demanding of your time, so get help with babysitting & dinners if you can. You will be kept in hospital for 3 days normally and will be shown how to care for your wound. It usually takes about 4 weeks to heal. You have to be very careful not to put pressure on the wound in the first two weeks - difficult when you have to lift a newborn and maybe a toddler too. You can get a c-section support belt (from Mothercare etc) to help you be more mobile.

If you're planning to breastfeed, make that clear before the baby is born and make sure you arrange to have a nurse come and show you how to feed the baby in a side-lying position. Be aware too that after a c-section, your milk may take a little longer to come in than if it had been a normal birth, and that your baby may be a little more lethargic and slow to latch on. Again, this is normal, so if you have concerns make sure you ask the nursing staff as you don't want to be going home stressed when your milk still hasn't arrived.

You may also be more prone to thrush after a c-section as antibiotics are routinely given. Stock up on Daktarin and Canesten just in case.

You can do certain exercises over the next three weeks to encourage the baby to turn. There's a lot of happy-clappy stuff on the website below, but the exercises are sound. A friend of mine was still breach at 39 weeks and swears that doing the inversion exercises on the stairs got her girl to turn. Pregnancy yoga does many of the same positions: http://www.spinningbabies.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

Thank you for the replies and advice. Will the OH be allowed in for the delivery in the case of a section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thank you for the replies and advice. Will the OH be allowed in for the delivery in the case of a section?
    My husband was sitting beside me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I was put under general for mine. Missed the whole thing. Morphine is nice. Not being able to move and the catheter stunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I loved my elective section as the birth is easy peasy and surprisingly quick. Being paralyzed from the waist down for hours afterwards was annoying but the catheter was great as not having to get up to go to the toilet after months of peeing constantly is great :)

There is no drama or pain :) I was off the strong pain killers ( take them as often as they allow for the first 2 days) and felt fine and on paracetomol by day 3.

Healing was rapid for me, it seems to depend on the person. Best of luck.

ps. You're a CBAV :D

Advertisement