Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Skate Park Greenlit

Options
  • 12-10-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

It's just been announced that the skate park for Kilkenny has finally got the green light and will be going ahead.

It's confirmed that it's going to be located in the Closh, which is an absolutely perfect area for a skate park in my opinion.

Fair play to everyone who's been campaigning and working towards this for the past couple of years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yey! Brilliant news :D I know a few people who will be delighted with the news :D It's about time they sorted it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This is fantastic news, fair play to them for sticking with their campaign.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

I was just about to come on to announce the news.

We finally got that major step that we needed to push the skatepark to completion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Congratulations and fair play for all your work, it's certainly paid off.

It's going to be a fantastic coup for the city and it's in an area that has an awful lot of potential and could certainly use a bit more development. It's good for employment, it's good for skaters and it's good for the community. Great news for the city all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

Mick Greene deserves the recognition, if it wasn't for him this wouldn't have happened any time soon.

Yeah, there have been some residents who are not pleased with the decision, however USK will be working towards changing their outlook on the skating community.

Happy skating! Woo.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Mick Greene by any means but considering all the work he did for this, it's a shame he's not on the council when you look at some of the useless bastards that got voted in.

The residents of that area are old, they like to complain and they're using anti social behaviour as an excuse not to put it in. The area is notorious for anti social behaviour as it is so i can only see the skatepark work towards improving the area somewhat.

It's not as if they currently attract anti-social behaviour down the Canal or on the Parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Great, that's brilliant. congrats to all involved. I'm sure there will be further battles ahead but this is a huge advance. Given how bad youth unemployment is then there hopefully won't be the kind of resistance to this as there would have been a few years ago when all the property zombies cared about was the impact it had on the price of their investments!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fair fecks to the people that put in the work, you clearly must have made a good case for the whole idea.

Where will it be, any show on google maps?

It's going to be built in the Closh, directly across from the cinema. It's a place where skangers sometimes loiter and people sometimes walk their dogs.

In my lifetime, the place has been a prime spot that's completely useless so this marks a welcome development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

They should pay architects who know nothing about skate parks loads of money to design it all out of stainless steel so it matches the rest of the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Rumour has it that the Skate Park will have a Dunnes Stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Good stuff... Now they'll just have to wait another 5 years until its built..!

And then when it opens, it'll have to be closed down and rebuilt with different stone because skaters keep slipping on it. Apparently the stonework will be the kind where you can get busted on it and people will be threatening to sue. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I, for one, am really happy about this and hope that it gets off the ground sooner rather than later. I have three boys who can't wait to get going.

By the way, is a skate park specifically for skateboards or will roller blades be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I, for one, am really happy about this and hope that it gets off the ground sooner rather than later. I have three boys who can't wait to get going.

By the way, is a skate park specifically for skateboards or will roller blades be allowed?
    I suppose the whole lot, bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, wheelchairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

On my sterling reputation, I will donate 50 ducats to the first person to capture an action shot of Tootsie in the middle of a Misty 540.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinkiejinkie

Im not old and im not happy about the location, do we not need a bigger area so that it can be improved and expanded in years to come
    Threadhead wrote: »
    The residents of that area are old, they like to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

It is great that those who are involved in skating will have an amenity to use free of charge.

I wonder about the design though, if it is to match most of the generic modular skate parks seen in Dublin I would not be getting my hopes up too much. They are generally small and limited in the features contained within.

Still great to see progress on this after so many years.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

It will probably be fairly similar to the other ones throughout the country,
    list here don't know how complete it is

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

Did this go ahead in the end? Does it exist? I googled and didn't have any luck... TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The green light went red.

The latest plan is to have a skate park as part of the mart site development.

https://kclr96fm.com/skate-park-kilkenny-city-another-step-closer/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hi5 wrote: »
    The green light went red.

The latest plan is to have a skate park as part of the mart site development.

https://kclr96fm.com/skate-park-kilkenny-city-another-step-closer/

So that won't be happening then....

Advertisement