Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants you might always see, but never go into, which turned out to be great

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the restaurants you might always see , but never go into , which turn out to be great thread.

Born and Breed Galway man , Moved to Dublin two weeks ago and have to book a place to eat for the Grads, where is good. I am thinking Mac Swigginses or perhaps the Park House. However I wanna see if people think there are more options !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Lol. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

so youv'e been here all your life except for the last two weeks. and you have already forgotten where to go to eat in Galway? hilarious :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

No if you care to read the name of the thread which is " Restaurants you might always see , but never go into , which turn out to be great thread "

So I know places to eat I am just wondering if people know any other hidden gems or nice places, as I have only eaten in the more well known places in galway !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Abalon/Cava but if you're going with a big group then McSwiggans, or maybe the new McNamara's is something to head for. Or Mustard.
    Also check out the "Reviews" thread.

Title amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

McSwiggans is terrible.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    McSwiggans is terrible.

Thats not a very helpful comment now is it ? :P

Well, I don't know what to suggest if you like McSwiggans.

Well, I don't know what to suggest if you like McSwiggans.

I like all food, just cause I had a few steaks in MacSwiggans and liked it does not mean I am exclusively a fan of terrible food

Try me you might be surprised :P

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Wierdly named thread, only reason I am responding

Come on, McSwiggans is not WOW but it's not bad either. I think that is a bit unfair. I think most people would come out of there relatively satisfied, most people are not gourmet diners. It is just oldskool.

You could try Tamarind, it is Asian sort of food but nice & fresh and think they do traditional foods as well.

What to recommend depends completely on how many people, what time of day, what sort of crowd, and what weekday. A lot of places don't allow large groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mc Swiggans isn't great for the price charged tbh.

Can't beat Tulsi :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

McSwiggans is terrible.
    I would prefer it if you could be more precise when putting a business down, since that type of comments aren't allowed by charter.
    Have eaten there myself several times and like it.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Can't beat Tulsi :cool:
    swe_fi wrote: »
    You could try Tamarind, it is Asian sort of food but nice & fresh and think they do traditional foods as well.

What to recommend depends completely on how many people, what time of day, what sort of crowd, and what weekday. A lot of places don't allow large groups.

Cheers guys , I will look into them ,

Aye it will only be for around 4-6 people on a Thursday afternoon. So hopefully one of the good places can accommodate !

I have my own to add , The Twelve Pins in Barna , (I know its a bit out) , does fantastic food.
    (awaiting whine that the pins is not what it used to be! I agree but the food is atleast good now :P)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

McSwiggins do two things well.

1. Restaurant upstairs doing traditional sitdown meal tack very well, beef lamb pork chicken etc, great for bringing yer oul dear and granny to. Good portions and plenty of space.

2. Finger food for groups downstairs, great spread of finger food with spare ribs and lots of different whatnots.

If I want foreign tack or vegetarian tack I don't go near the place. It ain't a vegan sushi bar or anything :)

And I never had a bad experience there knowing that. €3 a pint with soakage on hand appeals muchly to Sponge Bob and keeps him outta the greasy spoon after the pub.

biko can you rename my thread;

"The Great MacSwiggans Debate"

xD

While the food isn't bad in McSwiggans there are a lot of things I don't like about it

- Pay sperately for your veg (wtf??)
    - Those stupidly annoying sizzling dishes that stink out the whole place an interupt every conversation in the place
    - While quaint and rustic, the old floors that shift under your weight are a bit unsettling after a few drinks, especially the bit where you come down 2-3 steps on to the floor where there is a dresser full of glasses. the whole thing shakes everytime someone walks down those few steps. I kept expecting to have my meal distrubed by crashing glass
    - Lastly, for the price, there is nothing "wow" about the food. Paying those prices, I'd expect a lot more

The above are why I havent been back there for 2+ years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 12 in Barna also has two different food experiences, the bar food downstairs which is OK ( sometimes great) and the restaurant upstairs ( "West" ) which is very good in the evenings and does a great 'a la carte' 3 course €25 meal. They will even open West at 5 or so if you have a group booking ...at least 12.

But it is very different and not as central as McSwiggins so we are comparing apples and hand grenades to a certain degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you might like to give us an idea of what you consider to be great.

Personally, I'd put Supermacs into the "Restaurants you might always see, but never go into, which turned out to be great", category. At least it was while they were doing cod-and-chips. (Yes, I know some would consider it a bit of a stretch of the word "restaurant" - but others wouldn't!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »

Personally, I'd put Supermacs into the "Restaurants you might always see, but never go into, which turned out to be great", category. At least it was while they were doing cod-and-chips. (Yes, I know some would consider it a bit of a stretch of the word "restaurant" - but others wouldn't!)

Oh they are dead to me since they axed the codburger! :p

Mc Swiggans was grand for a multigenerational soup and lunch type thing, not gone at all on evening or mains, and thought the pricing was odd too.

Kings Head have great pizza that I had once! Don't eat in there hardly at all tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

McSwiggans is graaaand. Never had any problems there.

Tulsi is class. Amazing Indian nyoms.
    One of the best Chinese resteraunts ever is the Royal Villa on top of the Aquarium in Salthill. Amazing food and a spectacular view.
    McDonaghs of course, best chipper in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

How many of these places do lunch? Gotta bring the 'rents somewhere after my graduation in November and want to go for something good.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I would prefer it if you could be more precise when putting a business down, since that type of comments aren't allowed by charter.
    Have eaten there myself several times and like it.

Fine, but I doubt you'll find my review an improvement:

I find McSwiggans to be tasteless slop doled out to a horde of masses who've had the place talked up to them for so long they don't even realise that it tastes like sh!t.

They don't season the food properly, they overcook things, meals and chips arrive cold, service is woeful and arrogant, and on top of that you're paying too much for all of the above.

One of the best Chinese resteraunts ever is the Royal Villa on top of the Aquarium in Salthill.

Now that is interesting , I passed by it every weekend on the way to work ! ,

Would it be a sitdowny kinda place for people in suits.

Yes , my words arn't so great, but I have the flu

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Fine, but I doubt you'll find my review an improvement:

I find McSwiggans to be tasteless slop doled out to a horde of masses who've had the place talked up to them for so long they don't even realise that it tastes like sh!t.

They don't season the food properly, they overcook things, meals and chips arrive cold, service is woeful and arrogant, and on top of that you're paying too much for all of the above.

+1

I can never understand why people think so much of it. Asked for a rare steak there once and it came out like a board. Sent it back and the one I got was medium at best.

As for the party / finger food, I was there for a 70th birthday earlier in the year and there was food to come. The first sandwiches arrived at 11.30pm. The guest of honour and her mates had all gone home and they were eaten by randomers just passing through. The warm stuff never came as "fryer is broke".

If I was organising it I would have said FU, go up to Supermacs and get something. It was all paid for in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Now that is interesting , I passed by it every weekend on the way to work ! ,

Would it be a sitdowny kinda place for people in suits.

Yes , my words arn't so great, but I have the flu
    Nah. It's a classy joint but I've turned up in my leather jacket and jeans and got on grand.

Really recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I like all food, just cause I had a few steaks in MacSwiggans and liked it does not mean I am exclusively a fan of terrible food

Try me you might be surprised :P

Why do you even need a thread if you already know you like MacSwiggens (which was the only resturant you mentioned I think)?

Why do you even need a thread if you already know you like MacSwiggens (which was the only resturant you mentioned I think)?

Because I would like to try someplace else , and I was hoping for suggestions but I found the mentioning of the MacSwigg word brought on a cosmic battle between Good and Evil

Cheers guys , I will look into them ,

Aye it will only be for around 4-6 people on a Thursday afternoon. So hopefully one of the good places can accommodate !

I have my own to add , The Twelve Pins in Barna , (I know its a bit out) , does fantastic food.
    (awaiting whine that the pins is not what it used to be! I agree but the food is atleast good now :P)

agree with you on that but only for the downstairs pub grub area. The upstairs is like eating a meal in a cold cave with no atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭39steps

Hi there,
    Highly recommend all of the following:

- White Gables in Moycullen
    - Donnellys in Barna

In town:

- Oscars on Dominic Street
    - Malt House (off High Street and/or Middle Street)
    - Vina Mara on Middle Street

All of these are ideal for a multi-generational group that will attend a conferring graduation meal.

Best wishes,
    39steps

39steps wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Highly recommend all of the following:

- White Gables in Moycullen
    - Donnellys in Barna

In town:

- Oscars on Dominic Street
    - Malt House (off High Street and/or Middle Street)
    - Vina Mara on Middle Street

All of these are ideal for a multi-generational group that will attend a conferring graduation meal.

Best wishes,
    39steps

Awesome cheers :D ,

I am from Barna , so I agree with the Donnelys and White Gables ( very very nice food )

As for the three in town I can honestly say I have never eaten there haha , I have always walked by them tho :P

I will look into them thank you for the suggestions !

The time is nearly upon me so I should really books soon :E

• Advertisement

go to Oscars. Its the best of all of them.

Advertisement