Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants you might always see, but never go into, which turned out to be great

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

go to Oscars. Its the best of all of them.

I'd Second/Third that, lovely food there. Vina Mara is nice too and it may be better suited for a crowd as Oscars is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Hey I forgot to say try Kirbys also (upstairs/beside in Busker Brownes). Consistently good when I went there 2 weeks in a row. Good value, really good food.

This would for me at least really qualify as a place you'd pass but really liked actually, 3 years since I ate there before last time...Free drink after your meal also.

Agree with the above as well Vina Mara and Oscars is also nice. Oscars would be more of a "impress a date" kind of place, Vina Mara is more "posh henparty"

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

swe_fi wrote: »
    Hey I forgot to say try Kirbys also (upstairs/beside in Busker Brownes). Consistently good when I went there 2 weeks in a row. Good value, really good food.

This would for me at least really qualify as a place you'd pass but really liked actually, 3 years since I ate there before last time...Free drink after your meal also.

Agree with the above as well Vina Mara and Oscars is also nice. Oscars would be more of a "impress a date" kind of place, Vina Mara is more "posh henparty"

+1
    All great ideas guys cheers,

I thin I have narrowed it down to Oscars, Kirbys or the Chinese in Salthill ( but it is a bit out )

most likely something in town and skeff adjacent ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Park House have lovely food and pretty formal restaurant if that's what you're looking for but dear god it is expensive!
    2min walk to skeff then

I'll second Tamarind at Spanish Arch beautiful food and fairly reasonable
    I like the interior too it's a bit more interesting than most places

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Oscars in dominick street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 tuckmill

Went into Maxwells today and although the interior has been changed :( the food is still fantastic - Wild mushroom starter and Steak Sandwich for main,and i am still stuffed :D Very polite/friendly service, no hanging around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ignore everything people have already said and go to Bar8 on the Docks.
    Head and shoulders above everywhere else in town and only a 5 minute walk from the skeff.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The Artisan above neachtains is a gem of a place.

i brought my family there for an earlybird meal once and have been back a few times since.

the food was fantastic, and beautifully presented, service was warm and friendly, and very helpful, but not in your face. pricing as far as i can remember, was in line with most other restaurants.

but it has been about a year since i was there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Neyite wrote: »
    The Artisan a

Would be my second choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ignore everything people have already said and go to Bar8 on the Docks.
    Head and shoulders above everywhere else in town and only a 5 minute walk from the skeff.

have to disagree its ok bar food that's more expensive than say cava which does way better similiar dishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Recommend these:
    Da Tang Noodle House (across the road from Charlie Byrnes)
    Padraigeens(sp?) in Furbo

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I love the Noodle House but I think it may be a bit casual for a grad dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Xiney wrote: »

I find McSwiggans to be tasteless slop doled out to a horde of masses who've had the place talked up to them for so long they don't even realise that it tastes like sh!t.

They don't season the food properly, they overcook things, meals and chips arrive cold, service is woeful and arrogant, and on top of that you're paying too much for all of the above.

I haven't eaten there in about 10 years. Interesting to see that it hasn't changed!

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Awesome cheers :D ,

I am from Barna , so I agree with the Donnelys and White Gables ( very very nice food )

As for the three in town I can honestly say I have never eaten there haha , I have always walked by them tho :P

I will look into them thank you for the suggestions !

The time is nearly upon me so I should really books soon :E

Can't believe you're from Barna and you're even asking this question! The only place for you to consider is O'Gradys. That's it.

Haha , I am well aware of O Gradys, I used to work with the head chef long ago . as a waiter.

But was looking for suggestions in town , and not too far from the skeffington arms where unfortunately the graduation classes seem to congregate

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Haha , I am well aware of O Gradys, I used to work with the head chef long ago . as a waiter.

But was looking for suggestions in town , and not too far from the skeffington arms where unfortunately the graduation classes seem to congregate

Fair enough, but being a lazy fecker I always think of the trip home afterwards. My tack would be to eat in O'Gradys, drink in Donnellys, drink in the 12 and then crawl home to recover for a few days :D

churchview wrote: »
    Fair enough, but being a lazy fecker I always think of the trip home afterwards. My tack would be to eat in O'Gradys, drink in Donnellys, drink in the 12 and then crawl home to recover for a few days :D

Haha hopefully one of my class mates will sweep me off the floor and take me home after I have drank myself into a rug like state in the corner !

Sounds like a solid plan but I would be the only one from my class celebrating in Barna haha xD , and my fathers entertainment wears thin after the first hour

Advertisement