Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with PSU

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:52pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My psu just blew, well comp overheated and nothing happens when I press the switch after cooldown) and I need a new one. Never replaced one before, what do i have to look out for? Some have 20 or 24 pin connections? and what about connectors for video cards and motherboards? It's for gaming so I want a good one, I'll be upgrading etc. Something that is a lot of watts I guess.

I have:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (4MB L2 Cache)
    Patriot 2GB PC6400 (800MHz) (I should prob get 4gb of something, suggestions? :-P)
    ATI HD 4870 1GB
    motherboard is nForce 650i Ultra
    The PSU was some sumvision 500w one. I imagine that was pretty crappy. (model: KY3000ATX 500w p4)

Any suggestions on replacement? Any places in dublin selling decent ones and not riping ye off too bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

Go to Cases > PSU

The 550w ATX should do you but if you're planning on upgrading you can go with the 750w

If the 550w doesnt have enought SATA connections etc you can get splitter's or IDE > SATA connections etc.

They're based in Fairview, great guys to deal with!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am not too far from fairview, looking at that rasurbo 750w one, might be grand, I don't know what quality is like between different manufacturers. Like what would be the difference in quality between antec and rasurbo ones there?

Oh can you jut walk in and buy it, they say cash can be paid on collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

Yeah you can just call into them, they're just behind Kavanagh's pub at the bottom of the Malahide Rd. They have a map on the Contact Us page.

As for the difference you'd be paying for a better known brand with more connectors and a bigger / quieter fan etc. As for individual performance etc you'd have to google it or talk to someone who has one.

- Ciarán

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cheers, I'll look up some reviews and price comparisons with other places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That Rasurbo is just like all Rasurbos, and all PSUs on marx other than the Antec - utter trash :mad:

I would have specced the Corsair CX400 but its now out of production, and in this cruel post-Corsairgate world you're back to paying €70+ on a decent low-mid-range PSU :( Which the hilariously overpriced Rasubo most certainly isn't :mad:

You need a minimum of a good 400W PSU (360W 12V output) and preferably a good 450-500W model (to give 400W+ of clean 12V power) to run that rig. Maybe a 550W model if your rig is heavily overclocked, but no higher.

And userfriendly - please keep that sig out of this forum. For starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Corsair VX450
    €65 at
    elara and komplett.

Unfortunately, kompett have started charging for delivery again, but you can collect from either of them for free or pay their not-too-outrageous postage. You should get by with that but expect to pay at least €20 more for the next step up.

Edit: Actually, how many connectors are there from the PSU to the 4870, is it two 6-pins?
    Edit 2: Only one 12V rail, just use an adapter.

Solitaire wrote: »
    That Rasurbo is just like all Rasurbos, and all PSUs on marx other than the Antec - utter trash :mad:

I would have specced the Corsair CX400 but its now out of production, and in this cruel post-Corsairgate world you're back to paying €70+ on a decent low-mid-range PSU :( Which the hilariously overpriced Rasubo most certainly isn't :mad:

You need a minimum of a good 400W PSU (360W 12V output) and preferably a good 450-500W model (to give 400W+ of clean 12V power) to run that rig. Maybe a 550W model if your rig is heavily overclocked, but no higher.

And userfriendly - please keep that sig out of this forum. For starters.
    The prices are indeed high from my comparing etc. Can you recommend a good 500/550 one? What kind of rig would justify higher, as I would like to know more about PSU's etc because I will be upgrading now that I have a chance to. Just want to future proof it a bit. 500/550 probably do yeah?
    Monotype wrote: »
    Corsair VX450
    €65 at
    elara and komplett.

Unfortunately, kompett have started charging for delivery again, but you can collect from either of them for free or pay their not-too-outrageous postage. You should get by with that but expect to pay at least €20 more for the next step up.

Edit: Actually, how many connectors are there from the PSU to the 4870, is it two 6-pins?
    Edit 2: Only one 12V rail, just use an adapter.

Thanks, I'll have a look at them now, think it was two six pins yeah.

also what was corsairgate out of interest, what happened with them?

The prices are indeed high from my comparing etc. Can you recommend a good 500/550 one? What kind of rig would justify higher, as I would like to know more about PSU's etc because I will be upgrading now that I have a chance to. Just want to future proof it a bit. 500/550 probably do yeah?

Most gaming rigs will live happily off a 550W PSU so long as they're not too heavily overclocked. A 95W CPU and something like a GTX460 will result in a system that draws 200-250W while gaming flat out at stock speeds. A very heavily OCd system or one with thirstier components - OCd 130W CPUs such as AMD's higher-end X4 and X6 and Intel's LGA1366 range spring to mind - happily heading toward or even over 300W while gaming and thus needing a 650W PSU.

also what was corsairgate out of interest, what happened with them?

They did the unthinkable - started selling poorer-quality low-end PSUs, which has royally fecked up the lower end of the market now that they're no longer there to make the grotty firms play fair :( They're still well-established in the mid- and high-end but aside from getting a lot of stick in some places for their recent behaviour (replacing a model with a worse model then claiming its bigger and better is a move you'd never expect from them of all people! :() there is now a real fear that they've severed ties with Seasonic and are giving Channel Well less money for the next gen of PSUs, which results in many corners being cut :mad:

• Advertisement

Thinking of getting http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/674941/art/corsair/cmpsu-650txeu-pc-power-un.html on mr sols recommendation.

Is it possible to collect the goods from pixmania and avoid paying 17e delivery for one part? :S

No.

And I recommended this PSU actually :p

Oh i must check where they are, to collect, thanks!

I was so confused cos we were talking about pixmania and teh shipping was 17e there as you said :p

Yeah I'm awesome, I deleted the Komplett bit, then forgot to put it back in the right place :o

And its in the Blanchardstown Business Place of Many Names (Northwest, Blanch Corporate Park, Rosemount... for starters! :pac: ) Googlemap "komplett Blanchardstown" and you'll find it ;)

Thanks mate, will pick that up. Although delivery is only 2e more than me travelling there so I'll be lazy :D

might get 2gb ram and laptop hdd while I'm at it, hmm. ram suggestions people? :D
    I have 2x1gb stick. Might get 2x1gb more.

Just checked, allegedly orders over €75 (i.e. that PSU) still have free shipping :)

What RAM are you talking about? DDR2? DDR3? Laptop? :confused:

Just saw that at checkout, legend!
    In my desktop I have Patriot 2 x 1GB PC6400 (800MHz) ram, just wondering what would be the best type if I was getting 2x1 more or should I try to keep it all the same etc.
    My laptop has twice the ram of my desktop so I feel bad. :p

as for the hdds, they seem expensive on there. there is an external 1 terrabyte 2.5 on sale here for 95e (wouldn't fit in the mac it was bought for) and i might slip that out of the case into my laptop

Hmm... don't suppose you know what timings that Patriot runs on? I doubt you'd find the same set again, best bet is to get another 2x1GB with identical speed/latency/voltage!

Nope, no idea, any way to check?

better to keep 2x1 of same or two different sets of 2x1? Matter much?

Always better to match sets exactly but if you can't then you're most likely to have the least issues with a set that's as similar to your current one as possible ;)

And IIRC you can check your current RAM settings with CPU-z! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It just may work out cheaper to buy a 4Gb kit and hop the original sticks up on adverts. Ddr2 is getting very pricey now the demand is gone and supplies have dropped. Boards handle 2x 2Gb sticks better than 4x 1Gb

Ah I suppose I'll wait to upgrade motherboard etc and get 4 ddr3, thanks

You'd also have to get a new CPU for that new mobo of course! :o:p

I most certainly would, I'd take the hit ;) Be back for more advice :D

No.

And I recommended this PSU actually :p
    2.10 cheaper today, yes!

In the list, yeah, but not in Product View! :p

Which price are they charging then...? :confused: Silly Catface Komplett! :p

In the list, yeah, but not in Product View! :p

Which price are they charging then...? :confused: Silly Catface Komplett! :p
    79.90, it was 82 yesterday though.

Due to this price change I was able to get the 650 watt PSU, 8GB USB stick and a laptop hard drive for 145.30, I had 145.31 on my 3v voucher. YES

I love it when a plan 3V voucher comes together! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

... 145.30, I had 145.31 on my 3v voucher.

WIN!

• Advertisement

shoulda heard me 20 minutes ago shouting about stupid 3v vouchers and then ordering and being like OHHH YEAH 3V OH YEAHHHH :D

what can I do with 1 cent? ha! Have 2e on my other one too. it didn't work out as well :P

Advertisement