Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Track?

• 12-10-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Anyone any news on the repairs at sundrive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Nothing on the site or facebook anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Talking to one of those who run the track, it seems it will be repaired fairly soon - though not before Halloween as that would be much too tempting to the local pyromaniacs. They'll have to patch it up and use tar overbanding but he's optimistic enough about the resulting surface.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

niceonetom wrote: »
    Talking to one of those who run the track, it seems it will be repaired fairly soon - though not before Halloween as that would be much too tempting to the local pyromaniacs. They'll have to patch it up and use tar overbanding but he's optimistic enough about the resulting surface.
    I got pretty much the same message at the IVCA championships on Sunday - the Kanturk track is quite rough in places, and it's critical they get the Sundrive surface right to ensure safe racing

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Interesting chat tonight about Kanturk... seems they got the angles wrong on the banking...ride too hard and you're over the top... good for kids to learn but not for racing on for anyone faster......

Still a step in the right direction.... any facility is good here where cycling is concerned..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mtbireland wrote: »
    Interesting chat tonight about Kanturk... seems they got the angles wrong on the banking...ride too hard and you're over the top... good for kids to learn but not for racing on for anyone faster......

Still a step in the right direction.... any facility is good here where cycling is concerned..
    You're absolutely right - the fastest guy hit the fence on Sunday, but even those of us who were a bit slower felt very uncomfortable. I didn't feel I could go full pelt around the corners.

However in the scratch race I found it easier to keep a line, possibly for a couple of reason:
    1. We had to, as there were riders outside us
    2. We were more used to the track by then

Even then I could get up to 50kph in the straights, but typically had to drop down to less than 45kph through the corners

We had 7 riders in our scratch race, and I think that's about the limit - you cannot get more than 2 abreast on the banking (and even then you can easily find yourself forced into the fence)

Maybe as riders get more experience it will improve, but the banking to me is not steep enough, and there is little room on the track if you get it wrong. The track is also slightly uneven in places, with at least one rider finding his rear wheel lifting off the track in one place

It will be a fantastic training facility for kids, or anyone who will be travelling at less than 40 kph. I suspect decent track racers will be too fast for it though.

• Advertisement

What exactly is overbanding?

Are they considering any increases in security?

What exactly is overbanding?

Are they considering any increases in security?

Overbanding.

I don't see how they could increase security without huge spending.

Hmm, that's what I got whne I googled it, but to me that's to fill in gaps, plus it's only tar, which means a change in surface?
    I don't see how they could increase security without huge spending.

Agree, was just wondering if they were thinking of it.

Hmm, that's what I got whne I googled it, but to me that's to fill in gaps, plus it's only tar, which means a change in surface?

If they can do it with lines across the track, it should not be too bad - I presume that's their intention. I'm not sure, but maybe they could use something a bit more porous and grippy than the stuff you normally see on the roads.

I guess they may have to take particular care to ensure the "joins" are dry after rain, maybe towelling them down with something, or perhaps there is some kind of portable heater they could use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hmm, that's what I got whne I googled it, but to me that's to fill in gaps, plus it's only tar, which means a change in surface?.

Presumably the tar could have something grippy mixed in with it so that you don't get a wet-glass surface on the bands...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

what happend to sundrive ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

bytey wrote: »
    what happend to sundrive ?

Vandalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

would the track guys train on the road and if so do they use road bikes with fixed gear or actual track bikes?

would the track guys train on the road and if so do they use road bikes with fixed gear or actual track bikes?

Hoy and Pendleton mention that they do a few geared rides a week in interviews. I've never heard of any pros training for track with a track bike on road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The pros do road rides as part of their training (road bikes) and Sundrive track team organise Sunday club spins in the winter on the road. Some people do mountain biking or cyclocross in the winter too.

I use my track bike for commuting, but the setup is very different to the one I use for racing.

I think it probably varies a lot depending on discipline - trackies tend to be very specific at the top end usually only training for one or two events.

The pursuiters do a lot of work on the road with gears (80 to 90 percent according to Rob Hales anyway) and then just use the track for drills and technique - I'd guess that points and scratch racers are much the same seeing as how many of them race both on the road and the track. Sprinters/Keirin riders/short TTers probably spend a lot more time on the track and a LOT more time in the gym than the rest. It's all skewed by the expense involved in using the track, even for the likes of team GB.

Latest from Hugh on Facebook:

We hope to have the track repaired early November which should coincide with the opening of the new building at the park which will be a shared facility for the track and the football and in which we will have our own dressing rooms, kitchen, work areas etc

and article from Dublin People:

http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/3823/57/

Advertisement