Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Arts Festival posters thread

Options
  • 03-12-2009 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Can anyone hook me up with a JPEG of that year's poster. It's the one with the dark side of the moon embracing the cresent moon over a body of water.

The GAF website only has a flash image of it, which cannot be downloaded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Do you know who the artist was? If it was Ted Turton he's at the Black Cat Gallery in town. I think Joe Boske is around too as there's some of his work in an exhibition in Sheridans. Or ask in the Arts Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I know a long shot, but doesn't Tigh Neachtain have all the old pictures of the Arts Festival Posters up on the walls?

Worst came to worst, you could always take a pic with digi camera in daylight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Col200sx wrote: »
    I know a long shot, but doesn't Tigh Neachtain have all the old pictures of the Arts Festival Posters up on the walls?

Worst came to worst, you could always take a pic with digi camera in daylight:)
    This is what I was thinking. Or they might let you scan it.
    A high-res picture could work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

Would a screenshot suffice? Are you planning to print it, or is a low-res version good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

BJohnson wrote: »
    Would a screenshot suffice? Are you planning to print it, or is a low-res version good enough?

Anything would be a great help at the moment>

• Advertisement

Dunno if they still have any knocking about, but Charilie Byrne's used to have a few cards of all the posters, way after they were in stock in the GAF office. They may have one lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Can't you just do a print screen of the Flash one that's on the website (assuming it's an okay size for you)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

My Father used to Print them.. I'll see if we have any of them still in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

Anything would be a great help at the moment>

If you'd like a screen grab, PM me your email address and I'll send it over to you.

Brian

My Father used to Print them.. I'll see if we have any of them still in the house.

Sent you a pm, could take extra or different one off your hands :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Please contact the artist first if you can, otherwise you may be infringing on their copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Well here's a screenshot of what they have on their website...quality isn't great.

gafqy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Please contact the artist first if you can, otherwise you may be infringing on their copyright.

Yeah you should do that if you're going to use it in any official capacity or going to make money from it in any way!

Please do.

Pope, it is not for reproduction. A friend is going on tour and is getting a tattoo to remind him of home. But can't get a decent picture for the artist.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So the tattoo is going to look like an exerpt from the poster? That sounds mighty like a reproduction to me!

Best we say nothing more about this, methinks.

JustMary wrote: »
    So the tattoo is going to look like an exerpt from the poster? That sounds mighty like a reproduction to me!

Best we say nothing more about this, methinks.

"Like" being the key word. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Why doesn't your friend get a tattoo of a Buckfast bottle? That would remind him of Galway :).

Malice_ wrote: »
    Why doesn't your friend get a tattoo of a Buckfast bottle? That would remind him of Galway :).

Funny you mention it. He has a few of the venues outside of the country alerted to the fact that he wouldn't mind a bottle of B waiting for him backstage post show. (Diva :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭micko123

Hi guys, can anyone help me find this poster? I have tried the Arts Festival Office and Kenny's. Any ideas? Thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Best I could do...

m-gafposter1996.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Hey Micko123, have you found anywhere that has the old posters? I'd love to get a hold of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think the Advertiser had a pullout a few years back of poster pictures from different years, maybe they could help you. Probably not if you want the full size real thing. Or find what the festival organizers do for the rest of the year ?

[edit: read OP again]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

They should release them as a collection for sale. I'd love to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's this really cool link called Images in Google search (imagine that, a tool to help you search for stuff!)

http://www.google.ie/images?q=galway+arts+festival+1996&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zK6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=iv&source=lnms&tbs=isch:1&ei=FL20TNrwPMqo4Aayi4WhDQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&ved=0CAoQ_AU&biw=1045&bih=496

</sarcasmMode>

... fourth in the list, hosted by the GAF site. Kinda small, but you get the idea.

Remember that the image will be copyright still, so you probably need permission to reproduce it.

Perhaps I should have been more specific, I am looking for a copy of the actual poster not a thumbnail in google images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Naughtons pub on Quay Street has them all, perhaps they may sell them?

Steyr wrote: »
    Naughtons pub on Quay Street has them all, perhaps they may sell them?

Nah, they just have them on the walls, they have postcards with images, but not AF posters. Try Charlie Byrne's - they had a few misc ones floating around last year, and some post cards too. Who's the artist on that one? You could try them directly too.

That is a great help guys thanks. Yeah, neachtains has the full collection but I wouldn't say they'd part with one. I had not thought of trying the artist though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Who's the artist? Looks like Ted Turton's style

• Advertisement

Yes, it is Ted Turton. Painted in Santa Cruz, California.

Advertisement