Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win an iPhone4 thanks to 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

A few years back a very dear friend recorded (without my knowledge) "Answer your phone you mother****er" on my phone. She then set this as the tone which rang whenever she called me. About a week later I forgot to leave my phone on silent while at the office and my friend called. I had to run the whole way across the open plan office from the photocopier to my desk and phone with everyone laughing at me as the phrase repeated itself extremely loudly (she knew very well that my ring setting is on the highest setting so it can be heard from the old handbag).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I was getting out of a car & my phone fell down a drain. It was full of water. My friend car it after a minute & all bubbles came up. We all fell around. It didn't get my phone back but have nice laugh any time I think of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I headed to a friend’s flat one night to drop something off. She was there with a few friends having pre-drinks before heading out so I had a drink or two and just start chatting away to everyone. There was one particular girl who was verging on drunk and very flirty. They headed to town and I headed home. I left my phone in this friend’s flat. Damnit. I knew this girl would go through my texts and phonebook. A curious girl

Knowing this I rang my mobile using my house phone so if I didn’t see “1 missed called” on the screen id know she went through the phone. I went to pick up the phone the next day and of course the “1missed call” wasn’t there. Ffs, here we go. I asked her did she go through my messages. She started apologizing, more than she should of. I said it was fine. “Oh I just don’t like that girl”… What ?

Turns out flirty girl asked for my number which my friend gave her. She texted me during the night and of course I don’t see this because the mobile was in the flat. However the friend does, gets jealous and deletes the text! I wonder if I didn’t leave that miss call would I ever found out…

Funny now. Kind of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

My son spent 300 euro on a phone one Friday, and went out on the lash that night to show it off.
    We woke at about 3am and he was in the jacks getting sick and ended up dropping it down the toilet.
    Took it out of said bowl and wiped the sick off it.
    He chanced his arm next day and tried to return it saying it didnt work ( not to a 3 store I might add ;) )
    Chap said there was nothing he could do that it seems to have been dropped in some sort of jam as he tried to scrape said " jam " off the buttons. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I remember in 1998, just when mobiles were out and you actually got embarrassed when yours would ring in public and you'd try whisper to stay innocuous.

Anyhow, me and my two mates all got mobiles for xmas and whilst out in Spar in Glenageary the lads rang me while being served and I got all red and couldnt wait for it to stop ringing.

So we went from there to Chinese in Sallynoggin and my mate Glen went in for a curry. Sensing revenge I thought I'd ring him while at the counter but he had switched his off.

What he hadnt banked on was that the delivery number was emblazoned across the front of the " China Star " so I called that and conversation went like this -

China Star Service Girl ( CSSG ) - " Hello, China Star "
    Me - " Hi, is Glen there "
    CSSG - " I think you have wrong number "
    Me - " No, he's standing in front of you "
    CSSG [ confused ] to Glen " I think this is for you ? "

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was in Nairobi walking down the street talking to my boss on the phone. Due to the heat, my hands where clammier than normal. Phone slips from hand mid scentence while rummaging for something in my pocket with the other hand.

Instict is to try grab the phone mid fall with the hand that was rummaging and the aforementioned sweaty hand. Let me just remind you that this was the streets of Nairobi which are busy as hells gates. I let out some sort of yelp, tried to catch the phone with both hands, missed with both hands which resulted in me clapping. While removing my hand from my pocket some change slipped out and hit the ground.
    For some reason, instinct then dictated that i try to catch the phone with my foot mid stride. Due to the awkward body popping and loosing my balance while trying to catch the phone, I ended up punting the phone up the street . Seen some lad picking up the phone after it hit his leg and hotstepping it in up the street into the crowd. He left the battery and the back behind in his speedy departure.

So in summary; Phone Slip, Yelp, Clap, Change drops, Punted phone. Some very strange looks from the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Some years ago I was in Angola working as a mercenary when I was captured by an enemy patrol. I swallowed my phone to stop it being found. Having gone to the loo I was able to retrieve the phone and call 3 customer service, who were really brilliant. They sent Chuck Norris to rescue me. When he arrived he took the phone apart and reassembled it as a Carl Gustav 22mm rocket launcher and we were able to fight our way out.

I'm still with 3 today, because of the exemplary customer service.

True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

well this is a true story,,, I used to work selling phones. We had a lady come in one day and purchase a phone,,,, she dropped her old one in a toilet 9 shes a janitor). so we sold her one, next day shes back. i ask her whats up she looks me straight in the eye and says, i dropped my phone in the toilet again. im think ok, no warranty but ill see what i can do right. she says, oh it worked for a bit and well i was trying to let it dry ( which according to her boyfriend works) but i got bored of waiting. So i put it in the microwave, but dont worry, I took the battery off,. So im trying to leep a straight face, and I tell her, I dont think that was a very good thing to do. She says , again TOTAL serious face,
    " But it dries out my socks?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wasnt me but my dad this happened to and it was a long time ago.

My dad had gotten his first phone for work. Probably very early 90s.

He was at a meeting and felt the room get very warm. Then some one mentioned they could smell burning plastic. All of a sudden my dads jacket goes on fire. The battery cause an arc between the phone and its contact. This lit up the polyester jacket (the fashion back then!) in seconds. Battery and phone were both melted in parts. That would have been a good conversation to have with - "so you are telling me that your phone went on fire and some used a hose on you and thats how you got the water damage!"

He lost his jacket, phone and a bit of him self that day. Has never kept his phone in his jacket pocket since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I got a call from my girlfriend telling me to come home quickly its urgent,So i jump on my bike and peddle as fast as my little legs could go,just coming into the estate I misjudge the curb and hit it hard,I dont fall off but my phone flies from my pocket and is sliced in two perfect halves in the spokes of the wheel..........I get in the door and ask her whats wrong? and Im told "I need your phone for work I cant find my charger,quick I'm late":mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Friend set my alarm for 4 in the morning. Wrapped my phone in shrink wrap & cling film. Put it into a jug of water, put the jug in the freezer, took out my phone, put it back beside my bed.

I couldn't switch the alarm off 'cause it was encased in ice. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

After waking to the sound of my iPhone alarm, I tried my best to shut the bloody thing off with ninja-like precision from my locker.

Although I knocked the phone, it took me about 4 seconds to realize that the normal thud of phone hitting carpet was replaced by a splash. My brain refused to understand what happened. After all, the only thing on the ground was a narrow glass of water, but the odds of the phone falling from a height, correct itself to fall perfectly with base parallel to floor so it goes into the glass, with about 3 mm of room for error were astronomical.

Looked down. There was the iPhone in the glass. Didn't even knock the glass over.

So the chances of winning a new iPhone are far better than that ever happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

many of my messy 1st year nites ended up using my fone as a football either doing soccer or gaelic solos on the way home. basket-fone(basketball)was also played...although i went threw 4 phones in the one year they did me well. thank god for carphonewarehouse insurance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

My phone fell out of my pocket on a rollercoaster and nearly hit someone else on the head.....lucky fellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

A few days before Christmas last year I was washing the bathroom floor. I was anxiously waiting for a phone call from a gentleman to confirm a first date so had my phone in my pocket. I turned around to rinse my mop in the bucket when I noticed the water in the bucket was glowing. I hadn’t used any mad chemicals so didn’t understand what was happening. After a closer look I discovered my phone illuminated in the bottom of the bucket!! I rescued it from the hot soapy water and almost a year later it is still working perfectly. Gentleman in question is long since kicked into touch though!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mack81

I was looking frantically for my phone one night and wasn't to be found anywhere. asked my mate where it was cos he looked guilty as. 20 minutes later still no phone.

THEN, up gets my mate and proceeds to moon as he leaves the room and what is stuck in between his cheeks. Needless to say the phone was never used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Clearly i should win as i take care of my phones, one of these will have that iphone in sh1te within 10 mins :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have only ever owned one phone, for 8/9 years now. Nokia 3510i. First phone I ever saw in colour and was amazed. It has survived EVERYTHING. It fell off the blue tornado rollercoaster in garda land theme park in italy, and is still perfectly fine. :) Somebody picked it up and we became friends, thanks phone!
    Not only that, it's been in puddles, the first time it went off, now it stays on in them, it adapted! It's been in in the toilet, thrown etc. Indestructible.
    I might be due an upgrade though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I had this wonderful unbreakable famous JCB phone. Was in work texting and what happens but it falls out of my hand. Smashes to pieces. Was funny for my workmates but not for me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

A friend was using my phone and walked into the toilets in Durty Nellie's, where he dropped the phone and it slid across the wet floor and into the trough. Being a quick thinker he immediately picked up the 3 parts (phone, back cover and battery) and rinsed them under the running water in the sink. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

One of my friends took my phone when I wasn't looking (it was a crap one anyway), attached it to a screamer firework, called my housephone so when I picked up all I heard was them laughing, then sssscccccccccccrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaammmmmmmm BANG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Was out teaching my girlfriend to drive got a phone call answered the phone she was driving away fine I'm just chatting away then i see the garda me so used to driving think oh better get rid of the phone while driving not even thinking just throw my phone it hit the dash board and bounced up and cracked the windscreen now Ive got a big crack in my windscreen :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mashyling

My friend rang me once and we had a conversation. Then I thought I had hung up the phone. But no.......she was on the other end shouting at me as she wanted to talk to me some more. In the meantime I was pottering around and I had this stupid song in my head. I was singing at the top of my voice (Shirley Bassey style) Giving it welly, thinking no one could hear me, well she did, recoreded it and tortured me with it for ages after. Oh the shame!! Love it though, you have to laugh at these things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 yipyip

On about my second date with my new boyfriend. I was admiring his fancy new i-phone while tasting the new Bulmers berry. However I managed it, I dropped his lovely i-phone into my full pint glass of Bulmers...he had to laugh unwillingly but don't think he was that impressed!! Still makes me giggle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

One Halloween a few years back after a night out I noticed my phone was missing, no luck after another check of all my pockets and asking my friends if they have it.
    So there I am head to toe in fancy dress ringing my phone off someone elses and I see a light in the middle of the road (that I did not cross!) and a soft noise coming from it. Grand, there it is! Along comes a taxi at a crawl speed, the only car on the road in the last 10 minutes, looking for fare and has the perfect line to roll over my phone crushing before I had the chance to get it!
    Needless to say the phone was unfixable but it did still switch on for a few seconds!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

When I was younger I was cycling home with my friends and my phone (Motorola V220 :cool:) fell out of my pocket onto the road.
    The back and battery came flying off it but the actual phone positioned itself exactly where 2 cars would conveniently drive over it :o
    I tried to stop cars with my outrageous hand waving but all I got was one wave back as my phone was driven over for the second time.
    Then I had to put up with my friends laughing at me the rest of the way home

To this day (4 years on) the phone works exactly as it should, besides the scratches and missing buttons(which also still work:D)

Thinking back to this made me laugh at myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10 benryan

I was a long time Gerry Ryan show listener, and take full responsibility for my actions. I was listening in to the Gerry Ryan Show one morning on the way to work, he was having a discussion about old microwave ovens and how radiation can escape their seals and cause harm to people in the immediate surrounding rooms.
    One caller rang in and said that if you put your phone into a microwave oven and tried to call it from another outside line it would only ring if your microwaves seals had broken down, therefore letting a phone signal in, and letting radiation escape. Over the next 15 minutes callers were ringing in verifying what this man said was true.
    On arrival at work I headed straight for the canteen, I opened the microwave, flung my phone in, slammed the door and put it on max power for one minute. I ran out to the sales desk, lifted a phone and called my number. Alas, to my surprise, my phone didn't ring, it went straight to my message minder.
    I arrived back in the canteen just to hear the ping of the microwave, I opened the door and was greeted by my handset, melting and sizzling away in the corner of the small but lethal oven. By now a crowd was gathering around, wondering what was causing the foul burning smell. It was just force of habit that led me to turn on the power to the microwave after I closed its door. But let it be known that I learned a very valuable lesson that day. Also my work colleagues still remind me of it to this day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It was a cold winters day and I was playing snake on my dad's nokia 5110. I was standing on the hearth of the fireplace with my back to the fire and leaning against the mantle place. I eventually managed to beat my highscore and in the excitement of it all I dropped the phone. It bounced off the hearth of the fireplace and bounced right into the fire. Luckily we managed to get it out quite quickly. It had a few burn marks on it but it still worked fine, those phones were pretty invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭25

I work in a bar and i was working for a function in my bar,
    I badly needed to go to the toilet so the second it got quiet i headed straight for the toilet as fast as i could before anyone else came up to the bar.
    While i was taking a much needed no.1 i pulled out my (brand new €300) phone to see if i had any messages as i was pulling it out of my pocket someone was ringing me and the phone started to vibrate and it slipped out of my hand and was falling towards the toilet,

I went to grab it in mid air but i missed and it fell into the toilet as i screamed NOOOOOO!!!!! It went straight into the toilet and sunk the the very end of it
    I was staring at it for a few seconds thinking about what to do.
    Then i thought i have to get it out of there before the water wreaks the phone.
    So i got on my knees and pulled back my sleeves and plunged my hand straight down into the yellow colored water and reached for my phone just as i did that the cubical door slowly opened and i turned around and it was my manager with a look of disgust on his face.

He had just passed the bar and was wondering why i wasn't behind it and when he came into the toilet he heard someone scream in the cubicals so he opened it to see what was going on.

So picture me with my hand down a public toilet with my manager staring at me and a few drunken locals walking in with pints in their hands stopping mid conversation saying...."DEAR GOD!!!" then looking at their pints with their jaws on the floor.

Anyways my manger just said " I know know what the F**K your doing but get your hand out of that toilet and back behind that bar now!!!!" so at this point i had my phone in my hand so i pulled my hand and i joked "i thought i saw a penny haha" My managers face didn't change at all so out i walked to the tap did a quick rinse and walked out towards the bar, as i was walking i could hear someone say i think im gonna be sick.

When i got behind the bar i washed my hands throughly with soap and water
    and served the ten or so people at the bar,
    After i had served them i didn't served anyone else for the rest of the night.
    The the two locals in the toilets had told everyone they had seen me with my hand down the toilet and not to go near the bar.
    It was a horrible night, I lost my brand new phone and the respect of the locals :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Around two years ago i had 2 of the girls back at the house on a sunny sunday. we had a blanket laid out at the end of the garden. We went to sit at the decking to get some more drinks and munchies. My phone at the time was a Nokia 7373 and i had some charms hanging from the phone. Next think we look over to see a crow flying off with my phone. I actually spat my drink out with laughter. The bird flew off with the phone and i spent a few hours calling my phone to see if we could hear it but i never got it back!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement