Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win an iPhone4 thanks to 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lorna Benson

I woke up one morning with loads of text messages replying to texts i had sent while i was asleep.. appartently i had sleep texted the majority of people in my phonebook and had managed for the most of the texts to make sense, addicted or what? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 luciusesox

About 5 or 6 years ago I had a new small Motorola clam shell phone and bought the little belt holster for it. I had been showing it off to my brother-in-law, a van driver, and winding him up about his clunky beat-up Nokia. One day he popped around for a coffee and chat while doing his rounds. While I was making the coffee, he asked to see my phone which I gave him. When I turned around with the coffees he had it open and was bending the clam shell back under pressure. I hardly have time to yell at him before it snapped into two pieces and he looked up at me with a half smile on his face.
    For the sake of decency I won't repeat what I said but I am sure you can guess. After a minute of this tirade he calmly reached into his pocket and with a huge grin on his face handed me my phone back.
    He'd been delivering to a mobile phone shop and seen a store dummy of my exact phone and persuaded them to let him have it.
    The sod still tells every one about the time I called him all the names under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 biggie_p

This one day me and friends went out for a gome of football, our ball burst and the only other item the could be kicked was well me old brick of a phone,
    turns out our team won and the phone still works.icon7.gificon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I have the single worst luck of any person on this island with phones.

When I was about 12, I had a brand new Nokia 3310. Saved up for ages for it, and loved the thing. Anyway, not long after I bought it, it fell in the sink. Tried everything, hot press, etc, btu no joy. So I suffered for a month or two before a well-meaning relative bought me a 3330 for my birthday.

Within a day, I joke you not, it had fallen into the jacks. Cost me the rest of my birthday money to replace again!

Fast forward about ten year to my N95 I had last year. Got frustrated, tossed it onto my bed. It managed to bounce off the bed onto the floor, and even though it had been dropped about 50 times from much higher, this tiome it flew into about 6 pieces and presto, €300 gone.

And just last month, an iPhone - got out of the car, put my jacket on the roof and then the phone on top. Locked the car, grabbed the jacket off the roof...you can imagine the rest.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I was talking on the phone to a girl in my school. When I hung up I started talking about her. However my cousins baby rang her back. She heard nearly everything that I said about her.
    But I didnt know and she didnt tell me until she asked my about what I was saying (but as if she didnt know what I said) Was devastated. STUPID PHONE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The funniest thing to happen to me and my iPhone 3GS on VF is that I could actually make a call!!!!! I near peed myself when instead of no bars or crap signal I could actually hear the person and them me ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Actually thought of one time there (not in band camp), about 3 years ago walking into a corpse house, I was with my Dad, walked into the bedroom where the coffin was, nodded to the people as I approached the coffin to pay my respects and the phone rings.

The ringtone was "Who let the dog out"... not funny for me one bit.

But it was for my mate who spotted me going in and for the crack decided to see was my phone on me!!

The mans family, good friends of mine, saw the funny side!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

A couple of years ago I got a got a shiney new w880i. I charged it up and went to work.
    I came home from work and put the phone down and had a bite to eat, When I went to find my phone I couldn't find it anywhere, searched high and low. I searched literally everywhere in the house from top to bottom,tried calling my number but the phone was off.
    On day 2 of my search I was sitting down and my young one went flying by me in her walker with the remote in her hand, I jump up to see where she was going, she was heading straight to the mop and bucket sitting at the back door. I watch as she deposited the remote into the bucket of water.
    Instantly I knew, I know where my phone is. I went to the bucket and put my hand straight in and there it was, my new phone and sky remote. I was sickened, thankfully I managed to get a replacement refurb but it still cost me another €50, wasn't happy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

After getting my fancy new HTC desire I was trying to see the Google maps function while walking as it tracked my walk. I somehow managed to let the phone slip...que a juggling effort to keep the phone in my hands...I eventually dropped it and caught it with my foot. The whole action managed to place my head under a concrete windowsill so when I saw my lovely phone still in one piece i was delighted and arose to a loud and painful thud. I was out cold .
    A few minutes later a passer bye helped me up but no sign of my phone :mad:
    Someone stole a phone from an unconscious man !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Walked into the Swimming pool with my Nokia E71 in my pocket..!!

All I heard was a frying noise..!!
    Miss it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Slightly different but the funniest thing involving my phone recently was a text.

My mother thinks "LOL" means "Lots of love". She sent me a text last week saying-
    "The cat's missing. We think he's dead. LOL"

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

@ Oxegen '08 on the Saturday I lost my nokia n73 - and I hadn't the slightest idea as to how or where. Much to my despair, even after tracing back to all the places I had been, there was no sign of it. And with 80,000 ppl or so, i pretty much gave up hope straight away.

Fast forward lik about 15 hours: We're all incredibly hung over and just chillin outside our tents at about 8 in the morning. (its pretty much the first time the campsite has actually been quiet since the night before) - Out of the blue, we just hear *ever so faintly* the chorus to The Beach Boys 'I Get Around' - emanating from a portaloo across the way. Everybody just looks at me and bursts out into hysterical laughter. We went over and rang the number on the side and explained the situation. 20 minutes l8r a bloke arrives armed with only a long sleeve glove and dettol - and Vóila!! - in less than an hour I'm in possession of my new - yet ever so tarnished n73 again! :)

P.S. Still using my it to this day! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Knobs

Was in school at the time, had bought a 2nd hand Nokia 6310 off i guy in my class. Loved the phone and this was before the time of coloured screens and pictures messaging on camera phones, It had snake 2!!! :)

Anyway had it one day up my sleeve of my school jumper, tucked in nicely between the cuff of the jumper and the inside. I went to throw up a hurling ball and hit it with a hurl but missed the hurling ball, phone falls out of sleeve and i drive phone through 3 corridors in my school, the battery cracking a window in the 2nd year area and corpse of my nokia landing in the first year area much to joy of all the students. Screen was shattered and i was devastated. Had to pay £85 for new screen for phone and jus shy of £100 to replace window

Had another phone robbed on me in dublin years ago, got my girlfriends phone and texted my phone asking who ever had took it to drop the sim card into a shop nearby as i had numbers on it i would find hard to get again, told em i didnt care about the phone but i needed the sim.....Whoever robbed it texted back ''Ill drop sim into Tesco's if you leave the charger into Dunnes across the road'' :( :L

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Knobs

I have loads of these

Bought a 8210 nokia one time of a guy in dublin through the internet, Got phone and it had terrible reception, rang him and he told me it could be a little damp to put it in Hotpress, i said yeah no prob. I was around 14 at the time, i thought wouldnt it be quicker to dry the dampness out of it by putting it in microwave?:rolleyes:

Put phone in microwave- mini lightning storm commenced

Needless to say phone never worked again

Another time i was going to see a DJ in dublin, had just started going out with a girl at the time and she wasnt happy me and my mate were going to do dublin without her, Stopped of just outside portlaoise on motorway to go to toilet, done my business and off we went. Realised around new bridge that i had lost my fone. It was a deadly little siemens flip fone, i loved it. Had a great night up in dublin but ended up at a house party back in tallaght, stayed up till 5am, woke on a couch at 6am didnt know where i was. Found my mate, had to pay £50 to get a taxi to other side off dublin to get his van. he was very sick driving home could wait to get to bed. Had to come down onside of motorway and drive 15miles back up other side to find see if my phone was where i had stopped to go toilet. Found it with 23missed calls from my girlfriend and one message informing me i was dumped! Still have the fone at home, legend, last a whole night out on the n7 on its own through the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭sue97

Spent a morning looking for it only to find that my son had given it a bath in the toilet :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ChainWhip

[First entry with pictures, w00t!]

So there I was on holiday in Sydney, taking a picture of:

71887_443442699131_621604131_5399800_35273_n.jpg

by doing the following: Standing on the roof of my hostel, balancing my camera on my phone on the top of a hollow telescope pole, a bit like this:

40124_443442749131_621604131_5399802_4492484_n.jpg

And then, as Murphy's law predicts, my phone proceeds to fall into the hollow telescope pole. Queue lots of frantic head-scratching and wishing my arms were half a foot longer.

Eventually (circa 45mins) we decided to turn the REALLY heavy telescope pole on it's side; get a coat hanger from our room and untwist it to use as a fishing rod, and voila:

67572_443442514131_621604131_5399799_8152366_n.jpg

Phone retrieved!!!
    (and lesson learnt: Always use my girlfriends phone for such a job.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

00112984 wrote: »
    Slightly different but the funniest thing involving my phone recently was a text.

My mother thinks "LOL" means "Lots of love". She sent me a text last week saying-
    "The cat's missing. We think he's dead. LOL"

56314a62-3275-45d9-a8ab-13b8fa7cb136.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

An incident which occured a couple of months ago, and shall forever be known as the 'Catsick Disaster'...

I was heading to bed, so I left my mobile phone on my bedside table as usual. My cat had happily installed himself on my bed, so off I went to turn off my main bedroom light when I heard splurting and coughing from my cat.

The scene I turned around to was horrific. He had vomited up the contents of his last meal (and he eats a heck of a lot!), and he had managed to position himself in such a way that my whole phone resembled a dodgy Indian takeaway. I was absolutely furious (as anyone would be...!), and had to pick up and clean the offending scene with the best pair of Marigold gloves I could get.

I promptly dunked my the outer parts of my mobile phone into the kitchen sink, after I had managed to dismantle it. Cat sick is hard to get to grips with... Plenty of Fairy Liquid was used, seeing as it claims to kill most bacteria. Miraculously, my mobile phone still worked after being vigorously cleaned. It is certainly not an incident I would ever like to witness again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I was with my friend the other day up a local hill near the house, he's fairly good at mountain biking so I decided to strap my phone to the handle bars to record him flying along - that's where I went wrong from the start!
    The professional cameras are so expensive that do the same job so I reckoned, ey why not!

The tape I was using wasn't particularly strong but I made sure I used a good bit of it (a full roll) to secure it to the bike (then again, a roll of tape is cheaper than a broken phone).
    All was set, and he went flying off - with my phone attached.

The video pretty much explains itself, and why I was stupid to attach a phone to his bike lol.

It starts to unravel itself fairly close to the beginning of the video, and falls off eventually at 0:30.

He came back up to me at the top of the hill in a frantic state, not sure where my phone was (I was equally distressed when he explained this to me)
    We went looking around for it and eventually we came in contact with the heroes featured at the end of this video.

When I found the phone, I was in stitches watching the video. When it fell off the bike - it did not stop recording but captured the people who found the phone (and a dog who was also looking for it at 0:57 - 1:00)

The people who found it were at 1:18 to the end, and the doggie is found sniffing it out at 0:57.

This only happened about a week ago, and I thought it would be absolutely perfect for the competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

It was a cold christmas day, it started off in the usual fashion. I woke up and opened my presents and to my surprise my parents had gotten me and brother a sony ericsson k800i. It was lovely and top of the range for it's time. That day I took excellent care of it, even in mass I slowly pressed and held down "*" to put it on silent in the hopes of someone texting me on christmas day. Later on I finally received my first text after eating an medevil style feast with the family. My mate's dad was having a lock in down in the local pub. I decided why not go to show off the new phone and generally boast about christmas pressies. After a few pints, beer turned to hot whiskeys as it was freezing outside. The craic was mighty at this point and I started talking pictures with the amazing camera. Towards the 2am point I was feeling worse for ware. I needed to get home badly, I could feel vomit lingering at the back of my throat. I grabbed a pint of water, a towel and I think I brushed my teeth. I was ready for bed in any case. I climb into a cold bed and I could feel my stomach slowly rupturing. At this point I didn't care, and fell in and out of consciousness projectile vomiting everywhere. I wake up to a distraught mother and a disappointed father and then I noticed the shiny glimour of the screen protector of my phone tucked beneath two vomit drenched-pillows. Me in my confused state in the presence of my parents run into the bathroom to clean off my phone, thinking "yeah this will do the job and it'll look spotless too". Not even the hotpress could fix her. Needless to say the phone's life was only 20 hours. Only now can we laugh about it. LoL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I made the extremely bad mistake of letting a girl I know borrow my phone for while. She gave it back to me a little later, and all seemed well...
    Later that day I went out for a meal with my family and just as I started eating I hear, very loudly... 'Message you dirty boy!'
    Needless to day I went bright red, and everyone in the place was looking at me fumbling in my pocket as my new ringtone played over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So I was in college the other day on my laptop, in the library, studying away. I had to watch a video tutorial on YouTube so I popped in the earphones and pressed play. The sound was about halfway up but didnt seem that loud, so I turned it up all the way. Still wasnt too loud for having earphones in but I could here it anyway so not too bad.

The guy talking on the tutorial was an American with one of those real nasal accents. After about a minute someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to turn down the laptop. I looked up and everybody in the library was throwing over dirty looks. As it happened, it turned out my earphones were plugged into my mobile (I had been listening to the radio on my mobile before but took the earphones out because they were hurting my ears). So the whole library got an earfull, at full volume, of how to put a Print button on VB.net!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Stumbled into the toilet for a wee after a night out once, unknown to me as I was fidgeting in my pocket to take out my keys the phone flopped into the toilet but it must have been cushioned by a layer of tissue in the bowel of the toilet. Luckily I didn't flush (saving water and all that jazz), but my friend also needed to use the toilet. Was lying in bed when a friend came in and said "I think I pooed on your phone." I was shocked but couldn't rule it out so I checked my pockets and when it wasn't there made my way to the toilet where I saw a firm brown log covering my phone on a nice base of tissue. He insisted on taking it out. A few anti bacterial wipes and 3 days drying out in rice and it was good as new. I on the other hand, insisted that he keeps the "poo" phone, which he was all to happy to do because he still used a 3310 at the time. To this day, he still uses the Samsung SGH J700 or the "poo phone" that dropped in the toilet that faithful night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I was trying to call my mate while walking down the street, it kept ringing and no answer, as I turned the corner I seen him ahead of me, but he still wasnt answering the phone, he turned to check for traffic while crossing the road, as i threw my hand in the air to wave, my phone flew from my hand and it landed on his dogs head... phone still worked, but he thought i was being a jerk and trying to hit him (or his dog) with my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

i had been texting one of my friends about how i was going to break up with my boyfriend that evening, i sent her a text like "ya i'm ending it tonight, i'm calling over to his house, i'm just hoping he doesn't cry when i break up with him! he cried watching the lion king so i'll have the tissues just in case!". 2 minutes later i got a reply from him saying "thanks for the warning, i'll have my own tissues ready... rip our relationship and mufasa"

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

My OH is a complete technophobe! No matter what type or length of text that's sent to him he always replies. OK.

One evening while out for a stroll with the OH and the dog he gets a text from our young fella. He duly reads the text and starts to reply with his usual OK but just before he gets to hit the send button he walked clean into a signpost. I nearly wet myself laughing unfortunately he didn't see the funny side as he had a fair sized lump.:D

He's also a biker and once texted his best mate (a bloke) "Do you want to go for a ride?":eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I bought a phone second hand , it seemed in perfect condition , a few days later I noticed that the last owner hadn't deleted his messages . While deleting them one caught my attention ..... in the sent folder " can't believe phone still working " the msg before it read " fell into the toilet " .

I sold it on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 skydroid

Bought a fairly expensive phone,
    Next day I dropped it into the sea after a few beers.
    Put it in the hotpress for a few day worked a charm then as I took it out of the hotpress I was walkin away all happy next thing I tripped and it fell down the fxxkin toilet....
    Lucky man

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

sent a saucy text to my girlfriends dad......... I will never live it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Since my phone was touchscreen, it was an accident waiting to happen. When I turn off my alarm, i always fall back to sleep. Unfortunately, I usually lie on my phone without knowing. So it rings my football trainer every once in a while at 6am. Luckily he never rings back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement