Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win an iPhone4 thanks to 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A few years ago our dog Mac (a St Bernard) loved playing with my phone as it was rubber-coated. One day I left my phone at home and thought nothing more about it. When I got back from work I found the house empty, no dog, and no phone. A few minutes later my parents came through the door and I asked them where the phone was. They both looked at me oddly, and my dad said 'It's in the dog!' and they both started laughing. Apparently Mac had swallowed the phone and the poor dog had to be rushed for emergency surgery to remove the phone lodged in his stomach. Thankfully, Mac made a complete recovery, but showed no more interest in my phones after that. The vet was kind enough to give me back my phone - still turned on and with 10 missed calls!

Sadly Mac died last year. I'll always have that brilliant story to tell about him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Last year, I got two phones for Christmas, a fairly good one from Parents and a not so good one, but does the job, from Sister, since I wanted one and the sister that got me for Secret Santa didn't have much money due to having a child. Few months into the year (probably mid-term) mum washed my clothes (which I think I didn't even need, due to it being mid-term, probably) and my phone was in the pocket :(.

Didn't get it fixed but since I had the other one it didn't really matter too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

I was driving down the road with my mother trying to find my sister's new house, my mom started to get aggravated and asked me to call my sister. When my sister answered my mom snatched the phone and started screaming. It gets better... So my mom finnished the call and tossed the phone at me, guess where it landed. RIGHT in the glass of water i was holding!!!! I was too busy laughing about where the phone landed to be worried about my phone being broken... Best part was, my mom felt so bad about it she bought me a better phone. ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This happened with me and my flatmate about 3 years ago. We had a few drinks so were not the brightest at the time. I was sat watching TV, when I decided to see what else was on. Unfortunately, in my stupor, I picked up my phone thinking it was the remote. Cue 2 minutes of me shouting at the TV remote as to why it wouldnt change channel or anything. Then after getting fed up, I shouted to my housemate that we needed new batteries for the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kccfc

a few yrs ago mobile phones had just started 2 become popular,we were out 4 a pint on st stephens day me mate says his sister got a lovely phone 4 xmas..i said is it a ready 2 go,he said "no its still in the box"!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

My brand new nokia 3210 fell into the toilet about an hour after I bought it. It was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Je ne sais pas.

My friend left her phone behind and I text her to tell her. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭peckerhead

For a dare, I put mine in a sock and bludgeoned a homeless guy to death with it.

So I really need a new one. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Stopped off for petrol one evening at the petrol station beside the Toyota garage in Tallaght. Driving down the road I realised I hadn't completely shut my door, so I proceeded to open the door then close it with a quick pull while driving, not the wisest of ideas in retrospect, because as I leaned over to shut the door my phone fell out of my pocket and rolled down the road putting a nice crack in the fog light of the car behind me, which happened to be an unmarked squad car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackooooo

Having left my phone in a taxi one night, i didnt fancy my chances getting it back the following day. Never the less i called it until i got an angry taxi driver with very little english. After several conversations it was established that he would not be returning it and if i wanted it i would have to meet him under a bridge in town (i know).. I told him to forget it and that at this stage I no longer even wanted the phone as it was that much hassle to him. Three days passed and I was convinced the battery would have died at this stage and that in fact the taxi driver wasnt going to return the missing phone :( Next thing I know I receive a phonecall from Dun Laoighre garda station asking to speak to me.. ''we have a phone belonging to yourself but can only hold it until the end of the day'( no idea why they set an expiration date!) On hearing this news I drove across the city in a bid to retrieve the missing phone. With just hours to spare we were reunited and i was delighted and was no longer regretting not backing up my sim. I decided that I'd go for a celebratory pint in town on the way home..to cut a long story short, i ended up in coppers, left the phone in another taxi and wasnt so lucky the following morning..battery died..no answer...end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This is a bit of a long one, but bear with me...

I was at Electric Picnic this year, volunteering because I was flat broke. One of the nights my friend and I, full of fesitval-joy, decided it would be a right hoot to skip along the arena. I was due to meet people to see the glory that is Crystal Swing and so reached for my mobile to text them but it was nowhere to be found on my person. I ran back and forth along the path we had skipped frantically looking for it, but because it was so dark and there were so many people about, it was no use. I rang it again and again leaving countless voicemails and texts asking whoever found it to please please please drop it into the lost and found or call the number I had phoned from. Ever-dependent on the kindness of strangers, I spent the night hoping it would be returned over the weekend. No such luck. The following morning the phone had been turned off, meaning whoever found it had seen the texts and missed calls and knew there was someone out there desperately searching for their phone. I spent the rest of the weekend on a wing and a prayer meeting up with friends only by the grace of God.

Now unbeknownst to the person who had so cruelly taken my phone from where it had fallen, it had an inbuilt security feature whereby when a new SIM was inserted it would text the phone number of the new SIM to my mum's phone, along with the IMEI of the phone. Bingo! I had something to identify the mystery person who had my phone in their clutches. Predictably, most of the guards I came into contact were utterly useless when faced with this scenario and hadn't a clue how to track down the person using the mobile number I provided. Frustrated and phoneless I decided to channel my inner Nancy Drew and recover the phone myself. I rang the phone number of the new SIM in the phone and tried to muster a chirpy, enthusiastic voice. I got through to a girl on the other end of the line and happily informed her that I was calling her on behalf of Electric Picnic and congratulated her on having won 2 free VIP passes to Electric Picnic 2011. Of course, I needed her full name and address to send on the tickets, which she happily provided. Bazinga, I not only had a name and phone number, but I also had a full address. A cheeky little Facebook search later and I had more than enough identifying information. Lesser people than I would have been tempted to take matters into their own hands: a picture on an "adult entertainment" site? creepy letters? I'm not a malicious person, I just plain wanted my phone back. Besides, I have no way of knowing if is was her that found my phone and refused to return it, only that her SIM was in it. I called the local gardaí in the girl's hometown and they couldn't have been more helpful. A few weeks later I got a call from a garda telling me my phone had been dropped into the station, along with €50 to cover the cost of the SIM and that they would be sending it to me by post (although it hasn't arrived yet). In the meantime I got a new phone which I hate and seems to be determined to commit hari-kiri on me (it has a tendency to jump from heights).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Recently I was spending the day in a German thermal spa and needed to be contactable for work, so I brought in my phone. Being a German spa, the sauna area was nude, which was fine. Just me, my towel and my phone. When I wanted to use the steam room, I left my towel and phone outside, bundled up on a chair.

All was well until late in the day when I came out of the steam room in my buff to discover there had been a theft - and it wasn't my phone! The problem was that the reception area was outside in full view of the neighboring (clothed) salon.

With nothing more than my Blackberry to cover my modesty, I had to brave it and go ask for another towel. Thank goodness it was a Blackberry, not an LG mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kells_bells

I once entered a radio competition to win festival tickets, never expecting to win at all as I normally have no luck with competitions. Anyway I was upstairs, my phone on the hall table downstairs. When it started to ring I raced down the stairs but in my haste I knocked the phone onto the tiled floor before I could answer it. Surprisingly it didn't smash and continued to ring so I answered. I got " Hello, this is **** **** (radio dj), just calling about the competition". I was so excited but next thing the phone went dead!!! It took what seemed like forever to get it back on and I thought all hope was gone. But the phone rang again!! The dj asked me what had happened and I told him i had dropped the phone. He nearly wet himself laughing at me as he thought i'd dropped it in excitement at hearing his voice. I was mortified and it was too hard to explain. Anyway, I won the tickets which included a trip on a party bus to get to the festival. I gave them to my sister and her boyfriend though so surely i deserve an iphone for my kindness???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I attached my phone onto my radio controlled car to take some videos.
    Everything was going good untill the phone rang which sent the car out of control and into a tree.
    Phone still worked and the car had a bit of damage.
    The video sucked though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Last year I was helping my cousin convert his attic floor with chipboard. We had completed about half the floor and then took a half hour for lunch (I vaguely rember using my nokia during lunch which we had in the attic).

We continued on after lunch and had completed about 3/4 of the floor when I heard the faint sound of Arcade Fire Rebellion, my phone's ring tone. It rang out and after getting my cousin to ring it, we soon realised it was somewhere under the boards we'd just put down.

Taking an educated guess at where it was we took off one panel making an absolute mess in the process. Lo and behold my phone was tucked nicely into the attic insulation.

I got a mobile phone holder from my cousin as a present for helping him out with the attic but Xmas last year I managed to lose the phone and phone holder while on a night out in dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

My dog buried one of my phones in my back garden before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I love to take naughty pictures and send them to my husband,

the only thing is, I do forget to delete naughty pictures...

and then I go to show my friends a pic of something and they start to scroll through my pictures..

:o:o:o:o

Funny for them

Mortifying for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Dropped my trusty old SE K800i into a pint and that was the end of it, was a sad day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 f chopin

My Boss was mad furious with me one day when I returned to the office.
    Having left my iphone 3 mobile on my desk while I was away in the gents the Boss rang me to see where I was.

Seems he was extremely impressed with the full 16M colour 320x480 pixels/3.5 inches of screen and the polyphonic ringtone, albeit the appearance a vivid colour close up jpeg of Shreks face, a text caption 'It's the Green Slime Boss himself' and not forgetting a polyphonic ringtone 'Warning, it's the Grenn Slime Boss calling' having rang me........

This was the funniest thing to happen to me and my mobile phone.
    But don't tell the Boss :D!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 paddingghost

I woke up one morning in a terrible mood. I kicked boyfriend out of the bed, complained about how dirty the sheets were and ripped the sheets off the bed and threw them in the washing machine...

Made myself a cup of tea and went to look for my phone. Couldn't find it. Tried to think about where I last had it... Heard a 'clunking' type sound in the washing machine and slowly I realised that I had left the phone under my pillow and that currently my phone was spinning around in the washing machine.

It was a new phone (2 weeks old). It was very clean, but never worked again ovbiously despite various attempts at drying it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My phone was in my pocket when me and my ex started intercourse. The phone dialled mum. I didn't notice for a while. I think I'll just stop right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bik_ireland

I was at a gym a few years ago - in the locker room - when a phone rang. A guy answered it and had it on speaker mode. A woman very clearly said:
    "Hi, hon. It's me - are you at the gym?"
    "yeah"
    "Listen - I'm at the jewellers and they have this BEAUTIFUL diamond ring. You know my birthday is in 2 weeks .... ?"
    "Ok - How much?"
    "€5,350".
    "Hmm .. ok - go ahead"
    "Oh also - you know I was looking at a new car? Well I just saw the exact one I want - for €40,000!"
    "Make sure you get all the extras for that price"

After that he hung up and asked: "Anyone know who owns that phone?" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I only had my lovely N900 a few days when this happened. I was getting out of the car and went to close the door with the same hand I had my n900, que static shock from car door. N900 gets thrown onto road. :o

Thankfully I ran out in front of a car to save it! :D Both the N900 and car were not hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

While changing my wheel at the side of the road at night I was using my iphone as a light source, after finishing changing the wheel I jumped back in the car and drove off, further down the road I realized I had lost my phone, I returned to where I had previously been and found it.

I had driven straight over the iphone but luckily I was parcked on grass on a damp day, the car simply pushed the phone down into the soft soil as I drove over it, and it was still in perfect working order ! ! ! ! How cool ! ! !

I later dropped it down the toilet, nuff said/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Was working late one night, need to get something from the storage room but their was no light there so used the phone as a light as you do. Went in got the stuff came back out, realised I had left my phone in the room, but of course the light had gone off, so I couldn't see it. Had to wait till it got bright out to get my phone back. Worst of all he goes "You know their is a switch for the light right there?" Didn't last too long after that I am ashamed to say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ciarancu

I got my present phone last december. shortly after i got it i started getting loads of calls from "unknown number" and everytime i anwsered there was just silence. I was getting completely freaked out by this for about a month until one day i pressed a button on the side and "fake call activated" came up on the screen followed by the phone ringing. The whole time i thought i was getting freaky calls, I had just been accidentally activating the fake call function while it was in my pocket - doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Driving to work one day on the dual carriageway, I saw a woman doing at least 90 mph, with her face up next to her rear view mirror, putting on her make up. I looked away for a couple seconds and then the next thing I knew was she was swerving all over my lane. It scared me so badly that I dropped my electric shaver into my tea, and it spilled all over my mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

What is the funniest thing to have happened to you and your phone?

is my st. bernard swallowing my tiny nokia 8210 and not knowing at the time, then realising it was him when he walked into the kitchen later that day and hearing the theme tune from M.A.S.H coming from inside him :/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭timshel.

went out to a gig, was raining that night. after a fun night at the gig decided to go to a party afterwards... quick pit stop in the taxi at my house to get booze and a short while later was at the party. Realised then that i had lost my phone (which is the most inconvenient thing ever!) and proceeded to ring it from a friends phone to see if it was still on - which it was so i presumed i had left it at home when i was doing the beer run.
    Later (about 6am or so) I got a cab home, it was still raining so i ran into the house and rang my phone... it wasnt in the house so as a last ditch attempt i went outside while ringing my phone to look in the garden.
    low and behold there it was in the middle of the road. and after two days in the hot press it came out (almost) as good as new despite have suffered 5 hours in the middle of a busy road in the rain. (this is the phone im still using as i cant afford another one, the on button doesnt work properly and the camera gave up on me so an i phone would be much appreciated!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

last year had to go in a shop in town for just a few minutes..couldnt get any parking so i left the car in a not very legal location.. ran to the shop while it was raining heavily..ran back, drove off in a rush..got home and realised my n85 dropped out of my pocket.. never the less learned a valuable lesson, gettin clamped would have been cheaper!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement