Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacre Coeur Hotel

Options
  • 12-10-2010 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Does anyone know what is happening with the Sacre Coeur Hotel in Salthill?
    Or how long its been closed?
    It seems such a waste of a good building, just lying there empty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In the early 1990s the Mayos in Galway were getting so uppity that it was decided that action would be taken. It is believed that Seamus Keating, the legendary Galway city and county manager, and a Tipperary man to boot, was never slow in taking the hard decision. Exasperated by the controls exerted by the Mayos, their prestigious positions in all walks of life in the city, their swagger about the place, and the whingeing by the few Galwegians left on his staff at the unfairness of it all, one day he pressed the red button on his desk.

The Mayos, also known by their clandestine name Muintir Mhuigheo Gaillimh, were meeting in the basement of their HQ, The Sacre Coeur Hotel, Salthill. Suddenly the room was plunged into darkness, the door was kicked down. It is understood that a force of Irish Army Rangers, stationed at Dun Ui Mhaoiliosa at the time, burst into the room. In the confusion that followed no one was hurt, but it marked the beginning of the end of the influential Mayos; and as we all know, the Sacre Coeur hotel was closed never to reopen.

Most Galwegians forgive the generous Dunleavy family for their Aghamore, Co Mayo, roots. Three generations of Dunleavys, beginning with James and Agnes, then came Sean and his wife Vera Jennings. Her brothers played on the Mayo team in the 1960s. Their son Sean Óg continued the family football tradition by winning an All-Ireland minor title, this time for Galway in 1986. Sean Óg and his wife Aileen (nee Moran) continued the family tradition. The ‘Sac’ was the venue for most of our returning teams from Dublin. Win or lose, there was always a slap up dinner available. If it was an All-Ireland victory the team might not get through the crowds, from Ballinasloe to Eyre Square, till the early hours of the following day. Amazingly, no matter what time, or how many, or how chaotic, an abundance of food was always served. Seconds always offered. The ‘Sac’ was a by-word for warm and lavish hospitable destination in the West of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

A bit more info would have been nice Biko... jeez. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

biko wrote: »
    In the early 1990s the Mayos in Galway were getting so uppity that it was decided that action would be taken. It is believed that Seamus Keating, the legendary Galway city and county manager, and a Tipperary man to boot, was never slow in taking the hard decision. Exasperated by the controls exerted by the Mayos, their prestigious positions in all walks of life in the city, their swagger about the place, and the whingeing by the few Galwegians left on his staff at the unfairness of it all, one day he pressed the red button on his desk.

The Mayos, also known by their clandestine name Muintir Mhuigheo Gaillimh, were meeting in the basement of their HQ, The Sacre Coeur Hotel, Salthill. Suddenly the room was plunged into darkness, the door was kicked down. It is understood that a force of Irish Army Rangers, stationed at Dun Ui Mhaoiliosa at the time, burst into the room. In the confusion that followed no one was hurt, but it marked the beginning of the end of the influential Mayos; and as we all know, the Sacre Coeur hotel was closed never to reopen.

Most Galwegians forgive the generous Dunleavy family for their Aghamore, Co Mayo, roots. Three generations of Dunleavys, beginning with James and Agnes, then came Sean and his wife Vera Jennings. Her brothers played on the Mayo team in the 1960s. Their son Sean Óg continued the family football tradition by winning an All-Ireland minor title, this time for Galway in 1986. Sean Óg and his wife Aileen (nee Moran) continued the family tradition. The ‘Sac’ was the venue for most of our returning teams from Dublin. Win or lose, there was always a slap up dinner available. If it was an All-Ireland victory the team might not get through the crowds, from Ballinasloe to Eyre Square, till the early hours of the following day. Amazingly, no matter what time, or how many, or how chaotic, an abundance of food was always served. Seconds always offered. The ‘Sac’ was a by-word for warm and lavish hospitable destination in the West of Ireland.

I read that in the Galway Advertiser too.
    Who owns it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Dr McManus wrote: »
    I read that in the Galway Advertiser too.
    Who owns it now?

Bernard Duffy. It has P.P. for office suites as far as I recall. They won't be built any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

SAC was a great hotel, run by a great and hardworking Dunleavy family. I was at school and college with some of them fadó fadó.

It was one more example of the Mayos building up Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

hotel may be gone but if it's the same people that own the bit of gravel at front they're making a mint...anytime I pass the clampers van is there and he's hovering over the cars like a vulcher!!!

was at table quiz there years ago apparently twas pretty popular in it's day.

my my Dr.McManus you are a curious cat

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ger8

It says sale agreed on it now. Any ideas who bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Caesars Palace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Shanley wrote: »
    Caesars Palace

Really?!! Do you have any links to prove that they did? I work there and i haven't heard anything about them buying it. I'll ask later on when i venture in.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Conversation overheard on the prom sometime back between middle aged divorced/single local man and glamorous Dublin woman just moved to Galway while their canine friends automatically stopped to smell each other ;

him: Hello,nice evening

her: yes!

him: do you walk here most days?

her: I just moved here,getting to know the place like my terrier..

him: (unaware she wasn't already familiar with the hotel) Ahaa..maybe we'll meet some night in the SAC(K)!

l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Owldshtok wrote: »
    Conversation overheard on the prom sometime back between middle aged divorced/single local man and glamorous Dublin woman just moved to Galway while their canine friends automatically stopped to smell each other ;

him: Hello,nice evening

her: yes!

him: do you walk here most days?

her: I just moved here,getting to know the place like my terrier..

him: (unaware she wasn't already familiar with the hotel) Ahaa..maybe we'll meet some night in the SAC(K)!

l

I just got a little sick there.

Advertisement