Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robus 3W (35 watt) LED bulb,good/bad?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 5:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought 3 of these Robus 3W (35watt) LED bulbs from my local electrical wholesalers.I wanted to see what they are like,before I commit to buy more for my kitchen/dining area.

They have 48 LED,s in them,and supposedly last for 20,000 hours( 13 years).I paid 10 euro each per bulb.

I installed them into a bedroom and the light output is quite bright indeed,its a nice warm white.Good spread of light too.

Has anyone else used them and if so,what do you think of them and their light output and reliability??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I have a bout 40 of these in my house.
    Not Robus but another brand, also 3W with the multiple LED's.

I installed a few 50w GU10's beside them and you would struggle to see the lux difference.

Plus I have 20 of these in my kitchen so instead of having 1000W I now have 60w.

To put this in money terms;
    with the GU10 Halogens, it would cost €1.50 to run the kitchen lights for 10 hrs
    with the 3W LED bulbs it costs €0.09 to run the kitchen lights for 10 hrs....
    There has to be a payback there!!

Mine cost €6 each inc VAT.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mike2006 wrote: »

I installed a few 50w GU10's beside them and you would struggle to see the lux difference.

Plus I have 20 of these in my kitchen so instead of having 1000W I now have 60w.

with the GU10 Halogens, it would cost €1.50 to run the kitchen lights for 10 hrs

Mike.

can I ask what brand and where you got them?

Also how reliable are they so far,did you have any fail on you?

I have to agree with you,that you cannot tell the difference in the quality of light when compared to the normal 50w GU10.

I put 1 Robus 3W up in the kitchen beside a standard 50W GU10 bulb,and I struggled to see any difference,just as you say,1 is 50W and hot to touch,but the other 1 is only 3W and nice and cool to the touch.But the 3W is same light colour and light strength as the normal 50W bulb.

happy days.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Don't know the brand off-hand but I have a few spares at home so i will check the name and PM you with it.

They are in a couple of months now and no failures so far.

One thing I did notice was that there was some flicker from them for the first hour of their lifetime but the seem to have 'bedded-in' now and no flicker is present.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Don't know the brand off-hand but I have a few spares at home so i will check the name and PM you with it.

They are in a couple of months now and no failures so far.

One thing I did notice was that there was some flicker from them for the first hour of their lifetime but the seem to have 'bedded-in' now and no flicker is present.

Mike.

Sounds good so.

Please do PM me with the brand make of the LED lights.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Mike.

Certainly looks like a very worthwhile setup, a once off possibly as they probably last as long as yourself or myself. Is there a good light out of them and all you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i fit them all the time for new work

stuck about 100 in the last job

there's damn all difference between halogen and 3w led

ya still need fire-rated spots where appropriate to maintain the fire barrier-led doesn't solve that issue

i hated fitting halogens -they should never have been allowed for domestic

M cebee wrote: »
    i fit them all the time for new work

stuck about 100 in the last job

there's damn all difference between halogen and 3w led

ya still need fire-rated spots where appropriate to maintain the fire barrier-led doesn't solve that issue

i hated fitting halogens -they should never have been allowed for domestic

Yes they are trouble waiting to happen them halogens. I think the fire rating thing is to do with the fittings ability to impede the spread of an existing fire rather than stopping the fitting causing a fire maybe.

yes

it may do both i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I think these are the business, you get pretty much the same light as you would from a 50w.

The downside is you can't use them with a dimmer though, I wonder if this would be possibble in the future somehow?

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I think these are the business, you get pretty much the same light as you would from a 50w.

The downside is you can't use them with a dimmer though, I wonder if this would be possibble in the future somehow?

Im sure it will be possible, i think it may be now, i might put a few of them in by what im hearing on this

• Advertisement

sonic.trip wrote: »

dimmable leds are available -7watt cost about 30euro or more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I filled the kitchen at home with these (3w Robus). The light is not the same as the standard halogen gu10. It's much more focused and does not give the same overall spread across the room, and don't let anyone tell you any different. Yes, you can get the same light output, but only if you are designing from scratch and install a bucket load of them. They will not do as a direct replacement for halogens (without a fair loss of lumens).
    However, they look great and suit the kitchen in question perfectly and I wouldn't go back and change a thing. Complimented with under counter fluorescents, the lighting setup is excellent.
    M cebee wrote: »
    I don't understand this.:confused: Where are fire rated led fittings needed over halogen in a domestic setup? What fire barrier are you referring to?

'if' the ceiling slab is a fire barrier - cutting a hole and using a standard fitting weakens the fire barrier

the fire-rated fitting maintains the barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. But in a domestic setup, are fire rated plasterboard ceilings not very rare?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cfob

I did some modifications to my home (completed Dec/2011) about two years ago. I put 10 of these RGU48LED-WW in my kitchen. Of these, all but one is now (Jan/2013) blown. I also put 9 in an attic conversion that has only been used occasionally since. Two bulbs have blown in the attic. I may be wrong but it appears as if the LEDs are connected in series and if one LED blows the light as a whole fails.
    I have been replacing them with 5W LED bulbs from IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    How much did the IKEA bulbs cost you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cfob

I was in B&Q in Swords today and I noticed that they have 1.3W LED GU10 bulbs similar to the Robus. They have fewer LEDs and may not produce the same amount of light. They do produce a "warm" white light which is similar. These are priced at €12.40 for a pack of three.

With regard to the IKEA LED bulbs, these are listed at €7.00 today. I may have paid a little more.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20220039/

IKEA have changed their bulbs and the newer cheaper use less power. I have a mix as I replaced only when necessary.

Advertisement