Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calling Atheists Pagans

• 12-10-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I should apologise in advance for a dumb thread.

Something caught my attention in the hilarious Tesco thread. Someone referred to atheists as "pagans". This is something that has bugged me since I was a child.

When I was a boy I was in a table quiz. I had always enjoyed entering table quizes but had never won one. I was on a team with three other kids, and at the end of the quiz, we were joint top, and so it came down to a tie breaker. The tension was high. The room was silent. My heart was beating in my little chest. The question:

A person who doesn't believe in God is called what?

Pagan!

No.

Pagan.

I'm sorry that's not right.

Not right?

Atheist.

What?

An atheist.

My heart broke loose and sank like a stone. I lost because of that answer and that was as close as I ever came to winning. I had always heard of people who didn't believe in God as pagans. I had never heard the word atheist. So, please refer to atheists as atheists, and pagans as pagans. Spare a thought for the poor child who summoned up all his strength to avoid crying on the long drive home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

i think pagans believe in sun gods and the hole winter/summer solstice thing, so in fact you could probably say pagans don't believe in god (at least the god christens believe in).

(q) what do you call a person who doesn't believe in god? answer: a person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pagans by my understanding are still Theists, they just don't believe in Jesus, The Father, Holy Ghost etc. version held by faithful Christians. I've even heard other religions referred to as Pagans, such as Hindu and Bhuddism. But yes Etymologically it started with references to worshippers of "Old Gods" such as Sun Gods, and I believe it was a popular term while Christianity was spreading across Ireland to refer to the religious beliefs held on to by many Celts at the time. Incidentally, I don't believe I have ever heard of Native Americans being referred to as such, despite worshiping spirits found in nature. though they wouldn't call it worshiping: more communing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Historically, all non-Christians have been called Pagan (by Christians).
    These days Pagan (especially if someone calls it himself) means a believer in one of the New religious movements (e.g. Wicca, Hellenic Polytheistic Reconstructionism, or something similar).

An Atheist on the other hand is someone who doesn't believe in any higher power at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

mdebets wrote: »
    Historically, all non-Christians have been called Pagan (by Christians).
    These days Pagan (especially if someone calls it himself) means a believer in one of the New religious movements (e.g. Wicca, Hellenic Polytheistic Reconstructionism, or something similar).

And in a further historical note to make things even less clear, during the polytheistic Roman empire Christians were regarded as Atheists up until Constantine, a charge then reversed by the Christians in retaliation.

So we had (1) Pagans describing Christians as Atheists, (2) Christians describing Pagans as Atheists and now (3) Christians descibing Atheists as Pagans.

Get it right people!

Advertisement