Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thievin' bastards!!!

• 12-10-2010 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone notice the amount of radio ideas robbed from british radio (mainly BBC Radio 1) by irish presenters?

Lots do it. Dara Quilty off of Spin stole "welcome along" from Greg James and is practically a carbon copy of him, some bloke off 98FM stole Scott Mills' high 5 thing where they ask the called to give them a "High 5" and then they press the 5 button on their phone, and apparantly Ray Foley takes Chris Moyles' ideas all the time but I never noticed :pac: :pac: :pac: - he gets away with it though cause he rocks!

What's the deal?!?! Pure lazy. They could well come up with their own ideas if they put some thought into it, and they'd probably be better than the ideas they steal.

Have you heard stolen radio ideas? I'm sure there are more instances, but my dinner is ready and I can't be arsed finishing thi...........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bandscan

Thats a bit harsh,you'll probably find that the bbc took the idea of some other station themselves, Austrialia & America are the best for coming up with great Radio Competitions and we just follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Never heard of the bbc copying off oz or us radio. I listen to alot of that radio and never came across any similarities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Fago in radio there is little new or original. In fact I'd argue it's the most environmentally friendly medium as it's been recycling for decades. Don't be too sure the Beeb got there first.

What you may not be aware of is there is a large book (honestly) which is distributed to all stations in the UK and Ireland each month which suggests competitions, features etc and this may have some part to play. Sorry I can't remember the name of the publication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Btr wrote: »
    Fago in radio there is little new or original. In fact I'd argue it's the most environmentally friendly medium as it's been recycling for decades. Don't be too sure the Beeb got there first.

What you may not be aware of is there is a large book (honestly) which is distributed to all stations in the UK and Ireland each month which suggests competitions, features etc and this may have some part to play. Sorry I can't remember the name of the publication.

Ha that's brilliant. A feckin book that gives them ideas.

If I was on commercial radio I'd feel dirty copying ideas. Plus it's one thing to take an idea from years ago, these are current ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Btr wrote: »

It used to be X-Trax but it's gone (link to story) since 2008. Unless there is another one in recent years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Nothing has replaced X-Trax (book wise anyway).

It's no big deal, ideas get copied/remade in every sector all the time.

Look at TV alone, Big Brother, Dragons Den, The Apprentice, Millionaire, Countdown, etc. etc.

If an idea's good/funny enough it will be copied. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

More Music wrote: »
    Nothing has replaced X-Trax (book wise anyway).

It's no big deal, ideas get copied/remade in every sector all the time.

Look at TV alone, Big Brother, Dragons Den, The Apprentice, Millionaire, Countdown, etc. etc.

If an idea's good/funny enough it will be copied. Simple as.

there is a world of difference between using an established format, and most likely paying for the rights, and taking ideas from other presenters.

Anyway, back on Topic, G O'C was doing it, must be 20 years ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I thought most British and Irish radio shows just took their ideas from that morning's Hamish and Andy podcast.

Advertisement