Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy Tournament Edt fight stick?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

I picked up Super Street Fighter IV today for 20 euro for ps3. I had the original game when it came out but traded it in after a few months because I wasn't playing it.
    I was in my local game shop today and they had the Tournament Edition arcade stick for 99 euro. Do you think it would be worth it for me to buy it?
    I would love to get good at the game. Playing against people online I always feel at a disadvantage because im using a controller.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Predator_ wrote: »
    I picked up Super Street Fighter IV today for 20 euro for ps3. I had the original game when it came out but traded it in after a few months because I wasn't playing it.
    I was in my local game shop today and they had the Tournament Edition arcade stick for 99 euro. Do you think it would be worth it for me to buy it?
    I would love to get good at the game. Playing against people online I always feel at a disadvantage because im using a controller.

Arguably the best player in the country uses a standard PS3 controller.

Unless you're using a dance-mat or steering wheel, then your controller of choice shouldn't make too much of a difference.

€99 for a TE is a good price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Character usage is also a factor with controller usage. Some things are near impossible with pads, like storing fireballs with Juri or some of Chuns/Hondas legs/hands combos.
    As stated above though there are several top players who use standard ps3 and 360 pads.

To save some money I recommend simply convincing that store to run a tournament for the stick. PM me the details if they agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

You can be good with a pad with enough practice. You may find yourself a better player with stick...Maybe it just suits you.

For me, I ensured that I played a lot more when I got a stick because I had spent so much on it - had to justify the cost :D Then again, I prefer using it now...

Also, bear in mind that there is another learning curve when you pick up a stick - back to practicing those quarter circles / charge motions.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Ok cheers lads, I think i'll treat myself to it tomorrow. Ive a some extra cash around and I think its a good price for a quality piece of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

you try win the EXPO and get one for free.

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    you try win the EXPO and get one for free.

I'd be lucky to win an online match not alone a tournament Placebo. Ive got to put some time into this game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sairus wrote: »
    Character usage is also a factor with controller usage. Some things are near impossible with pads, like storing fireballs with Juri or some of Chuns/Hondas legs/hands combos.
    As stated above though there are several top players who use standard ps3 and 360 pads.

To save some money I recommend simply convincing that store to run a tournament for the stick. PM me the details if they agree.

Choked on my tea a little. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Sure if your keen to treat yourself you might aswell...

the worst that can happen is you dont like it and sell it on adverts for 70/80 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

xbox or ps3?

meducation wrote: »
    xbox or ps3?

Read the first sentence again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Yeah 99 is a good price. I payed something like 170 for an xbox version not long ago (thought they are always dearer than ps3 versions).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

animaX wrote: »
    Yeah 99 is a good price. I payed something like 170 for an xbox version not long ago (thought they are always dearer than ps3 versions).

that was just STUPID
    u were sporting a semi walking into HMV and just had to get it, didnt ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Placebo wrote: »
    that was just STUPID
    u were sporting a semi walking into HMV and just had to get it, didnt ya?

I paid the premium to avoid waiting for delivery :p

Also, don't get me started on how much you've spent on ONE stick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

As mentioned many times already, a stick wont necessarily make you a better player, alothough some things are alot easier to execute when using one.

I played on a pad since SFII on the SNES and I was pretty good on SF4 using the regular controller. When I bought my stick, it took me a solid 3 months to get to the level I could play on the pad.

So when you get it, don't get frustrated if you are not pulling off all the moves at first. With practice, it will all fall into place.

Good luck!

Advertisement