Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need New Bank Account - Which Bank??

Options
  • 12-10-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I've recently returned from abroad and need to open a new Bank Account. Does anyone know which is the best one to open up a personal account with? Any Special offers etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lainey_b01

Recently had to change bank account as Halifax exited from Irish retail banking. My top two preferences were Ulster & Permanent TSB.

-Both of them now have a Visa debit card which you can use internationally which means the evil credit card does not see much light of day.
    -Transaction free day to day banking on most transactions*
    -Both have good regular and fixed term saving rates
    -Internet banking is good
    -Ulster has recently announced that it's opening some of it's branches on a Saturday between 10-1.

Went with Ulster in the end as Permanent TSB only had Visa Debit in pipeline at that stage.

*may require a minimum amount of money to be lodged into the bank account each month to qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I agree - Ulster offer free banking with no silly conditions , longer openings and Visa Debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

Thanks Guys, I think I'll go with Ulster.

Do you know can I use other banks ATMs (BofI, AIB) without been charged a fee with my Ulster bank ATM card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

yeah, no charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Ive been with ulsterbank for a long time with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm thinking of switching from AIB to Ulster Bank myself.

I have a Practice account with BoI (Four Courts Branch) and a separate VAT account with BoI as well.

Essentially all my income and expenditures go into my Practice account, minus 21% into the VAT account and then I pay myself into a personal account in AIB.
    The thing is that with AIB to BoI the transfer doesn't happen immediately. It seems to take between 24 and 48 hours to lodge in the account.

If I switch to Ulster Bank do you think I will have the same issues, or could transfers take even longer?

I'm fed up with AIB tbh and I'm debating whether I should just open a personal account with BoI as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Same issue - between different banks is never instant. If you do the transaction before 1pm, it's normally in the recipient account the next working day however IIRC.

Be thankful - it used to take 3-4 days for interbank transfers..

Advertisement