Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x03 "Awakening" *Spoilers*

Options
  • 12-10-2010 5:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Poll added :p

Aftermath - your thoughts? 53 votes

Woo!!
    0% 0 votes
    Boo!
    64% 34 votes
    Meh!
    13% 7 votes
    Eh?...SG-1 was better
    22% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Why do people do this before its even aired yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Its aired in the states tonight and someone people live there or do something illegal :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

It's unfair to have a poll option as 'SG1 was better', as I'm gonna have to click that one regardless of how good sgu is this week.
    ...I just can't see how anyone can ignore that as an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Its aired in the states tonight and someone people live there or do something illegal :p
    is there anywhere i can watch it as its being aired like some sort of streaming site? or am i gonna have to wait till 5 or 6 again this week?

scrap this, got it, just watched it there, good episode but left me wanting more! oh well, next week i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

great episode. Love Rush. Crazy baxtard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

GarethWA wrote: »
    It's unfair to have a poll option as 'SG1 was better', as I'm gonna have to click that one regardless of how good sgu is this week.
    ...I just can't see how anyone can ignore that as an option!

I don't know, latest episode was brilliant [obligatory still not as good as SG-1 though comment]

Can't believe they left the Indian behind but since we didn't see him die I'm guessing he'll show up again at some stage. I thought maybe they'd get some more shuttles this episode as well since they've none left but obviously not. Still no big deal over miraculous healing girls miraculous healing even though she told the fricking doctor about it.

Is it my imagination or has token black guy's role really been reduced so far this season, he barely has any screen time which is a shame as I thought his character had improved a lot since the pilot episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Feck sake, Rush really really needs to let people know what he's up to. Pure insanity acting how he is. Then again we all knew the earth dialing attempt would fail.. success would mean the show would no longer have a reason to exist..

Good episode overall, pity they had to leave the seed ship behind so soon.Then again I guess if the seed ship is stranded Rush could probably go back to it.. as soon as he reveals his control anyhow. Those aliens may not be all that hostile though, they only used stun guns after all and didn't appear to be trying to harm Telford at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Urgh, another meh episode. Seems like this season is going to stick to the whole format of 1 good paced episode with lots of developments for every 3/4 filler episodes, this was def filler. Cant even say leaving Telford stranded was a development cause its clear as day he will be back (along with some friendly alien buddies). Found nothing of interest from the seed ship although its clear that the next episodes starting point will be "Oh we found this in the data transmission". One thing I usually like are to montages at the end (I'm a sucker like that) but this one felt dull and unemotional kinda like a roll call and summery of "and this is what is happening with person a, person b and person c"....yeah ... we know, we've been actually watching the show. :rolleyes:

I agree with an earlier post alright more of Greer would be much welcome, he's class. Manages some really funny lines and can still hold some intense moments too. Liked the idea of Young and Telford working together , seems like that could be a good writing mechanic.

This by the numbers writing WILL be sgu's undoing and by this rate I predict the next episode that will get a majority 90%or higher poll here will be in 3 episodes time.....wait and see.

If the writers dont pick up the pace this show will not make it past season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Good episode and i'd imagine we'll see the mexican again alright. Would have liked to see a bit more work done on the other story lines such as Chloe's magic leg. Also i guess they're putting the prisoner story line ticking over for another episode or two until they will need them. I can see one or two more main characters getting a bad case of dead as the prisoners are developed into the show.

Music was Sort of Revolution by Fink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vinny_963

yea i completely agree the episode was complete filler, really needs to liven things up to keep me watching

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Genius renegade scientist taking advice from a hallucination of his ex... Hmm... in what other space based sci-fi show have I seen this

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I liked it a lot. Got suckered in to the suspense while they searched the seeder ship and even found myself wondering if they were going to get stranded there. And for a moment it looked like Rush would have surely had to reveal he has control of the Ship. How are these people this daft? Put 2 and 2 together please.

Started to really like Telford and now he's gone. Sure to see him later down the road. It looks like those Aliens were in Stasis. Strange though. Would they have gone in stasis because they didnt have the power to jump? But then how did they have the power to Augment the Gate. Or did they know full well what they were up to, springing a trap for Destiny, hoping to Strand it.

I agree you can't give them the ability to Dial Earth. It's basically what killed Atlantis, and everytime they walked into that mistake (ZPMs, "Space Bridges") They quickly wrote a way to un-do it.

A more interesting question is begot by more answers: The Seeder ships have life support, and controls. Does each have a Gate room? Can Destiny Gate to the Seeder Ships?

More of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

only one i can think of is farscape, but i wouldnt call scorpius krytons ex!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Not seen it yet...watch it tonight, ratings:

Stargate Universe (9pm)
    - 1.222 million viewers
    - 0.8/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

madrab wrote: »
    only one i can think of is farscape, but i wouldnt call scorpius krytons ex!

It happened in that rubbishy Battlestar Galactica remake with Gaius Balthar talking to the Lady in Red Cylon.
    Peace wrote: »
    Good episode and i'd imagine we'll see the mexican again alright..

Is he a Red Indian (Native American) or a Mexican? Have I been calling him by the wrong name all along :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How about just calling him a good actor? Racists :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm well happy with SGU at the moment. I'm delighted every week to watch an episode. Its kinda funny how excited I was for Caprica and barely cared about SGU but here I am feeling the total reverse since both shows started.

Rush is starting to wreck my head with his secrets but SGU has a way of explaining weird behaviour extremely well. In fairness to Rush, he has shown proper leadership material up to now with his decisions. He always seems to have the balls to make the right decision.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Watched it yesterday, thought it was pretty decent but in all honesty how have they not figured out about the Bridge and where Rush keeps disappearing off to!

The alien(s) seem benevolent enough, but will be interesting to learn more about them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Very good episode. Quite how anyone can consider an episode 'filler' - a pet hate term of mine incidentally - when it advances several plots along, is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Overheal wrote: »
    A more interesting question is begot by more answers: The Seeder ships have life support, and controls. Does each have a Gate room? Can Destiny Gate to the Seeder Ships?
    I'd say your right there and they could gate back to the ship in a future episode. It seems as logical to have a gate room on that ship as on Destiny and if it was never meant to have a crew on board then why the control room and life support? If nothing else the ancients would have wanted a way to send repair crews on board.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so they found 12 pods.. so they can assume more than likely less than 50 aliens

how many people with guns do they have on destiny? how many lucian alliance prisoners with fists and something to prove? how muchdo they need that ****ing power?

jesus christ

go onto the seed ship with a ****load of guns and hunt the aliens down

send the kinos through the walls to look for them, scan for lifesigns , use the ****ing robot they found in season 1. do something other than run back to destiny.

mother of god

I don't know his name so I'm simply calling him by his defining feature :o

In fact, the only names I do know are Rush and Eli, everyone else gets a nickname.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

speaking of nicknames, where the **** is lt boobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I find that using his name works just find; Telford. For the confused, Lou Diamond Phillips is American, but his mother is Filipino.
    Very good episode. Quite how anyone can consider an episode 'filler' - a pet hate term of mine incidentally - when it advances several plots along, is beyond me.

Indeed. Anything that doesn't have a big explosion tends to get called filler these days. Go back to the early days of SG1, and you'd find that about three quarters of episodes could be described as filler. It's only in the last few years that I've noticed people get increasingly frustrated with any episode of any show that doesn't concentrate on the main story line. SG1 used to be filled with side-story episodes, many of which were the best episodes in it.
    so they found 12 pods.. so they can assume more than likely less than 50 aliens

send the kinos through the walls to look for them, scan for lifesigns , use the ****ing robot they found in season 1. do something other than run back to destiny.

The pods even looked quite small, single occupancy style, so they could have easily assumed there were only 12 aliens. Luckily enough they didn't decide to stay and fight though, as Rush would have disconnected and left anyway. I guess this is the reason the writers did it this way.

How long till Young gets Eli to use a Kino to follow Rush to his new hidey-hole? He's obviously suspicious of something, and rightly so. Chloe's magic leg barely raises an eyebrow. A little surprising, but I was glad of not having an episode about her. What is Rush's wife? An ascended being, the ship, Dr. Franklin, or just a manifestation of Rush's psychosis?

Good episode again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

speaking of nicknames, where the **** is lt boobs?

I haven't seen her in any episodes this season and I am very disappointed. We got a nice shot of Chloe's legs but c'mon, giz us Lt. Boobs back!

I thought this was a very good episode and best this season. It had nice pacing and suspense and I am all for introducing aliens! Perhaps these guys are at war with the blue dudes in last season.

Its filler because yes it advances a few SIDE plots but only at a snails pace. Not the main plot but the freakin SIDE plots!

What more did we find out about Youngs mindset... that he was run down and hitting the booze... knew that already from the last EP.

What more did we find out about Chloes healing... that its healed and she doesnt know why?... knew that too from the last EP.

What more did we find out about Rushs discovery of the bridge... that he is willing to put people in harms way to protect the fact he found it?... we also knew that from the last EP too, in fact it indirectly killed someone there.

So yes it is filler if A. it doesnt advance the main plot in any meaningful way other than predictable endings (Telford being laft behind, I mean come on that was done already only a half season back and we know how that tune goes) and B. doesnt advance the side plots in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

hightower1 wrote: »
    Its filler because yes it advances a few SIDE plots but only at a snails pace. Not the main plot but the freakin SIDE plots!

What more did we find out about Youngs mindset... that he was run down and hitting the booze... knew that already from the last EP.

What more did we find out about Chloes healing... that its healed and she doesnt know why?... knew that too from the last EP.

What more did we find out about Rushs discovery of the bridge... that he is willing to put people in harms way to protect the fact he found it?... we also knew that from the last EP too, in fact it indirectly killed someone there.

So yes it is filler if A. it doesnt advance the main plot in any meaningful way other than predictable endings (Telford being laft behind, I mean come on that was done already only a half season back and we know how that tune goes) and B. doesnt advance the side plots in any meaningful way.

So you don't see boarding a differnt ancient ship meeting a new alien race and abandoning one of the main characters as advancing the plot?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

That seems to have missed some big developments to be honest. Now, admittedly, if we never see Telford or the aliens, or the seeder ship again, it was just filler (Telford hadn't really been a big enough member of the crew for his loss to be much above that of a redshirt), but I seriously doubt we have seen the last of them. In the grand scheme of things, this is the episode that introduces a new alien race that is likely to play a major role in how things turn out, especially if the show ends up having a short run...

Peace wrote: »
    So you don't see boarding a differnt ancient ship meeting a new alien race and abandoning one of the main characters as advancing the plot?

lol

Not really, no.
    Lets break it down...

"Boarding an ancient ship" - The whole show is set on an ancient ship so nothing new there. What did they do of any signifigance on the ship? ... Looked at a gate building room? What did they get from the ancient ship... an undetermined data stream which we heard none of the info actually gotten in the whole episode. So what did they get from being there.. unknown, what did being on the seeder ship add to the plot of SGU... nothing. Put it this way... if destiny had stopped at a planet and the team went down and met the aliens there and uploaded a data stream what difference would that make to the plot of SGU??? Nothing. The only reason they met with a seeder ship was as a plot device for this ep only simply because they needed destiny to be docked with something : a ship , in order to have it in peril , it would make no sense for destiny to auto dock with a non ancient ship so it had to be an ancient ship in the end.

"Meeting an alien race" - Its a sci fi show, this is meant to be a given. What did the race bring to the table... nothing. What did we find out from them... nothing. Why were they there... we have no idea. So we dont know their name, intentions on the seeder ship, intentions in regards to destiny or place in the SGU universe.. nothing.

"Abandoning one of the main characters" - as was said already he has been on destiny a wet week and the loss of telford was nothing major. In fact his loss isnt even a loss considering how obvious it is we will see him again. When Rush was left on the planet we had no idea if we would see him again or get back seeing as it was the first season and had no idea if they were willing to remove a big name from the show so soon. We also had no clue how he would get back seeing as the blue aliens had not been tied into that ep at all. Now we know all that and have seen the formula before whats so revolutionary about doing it again? Nothing.

Now IF they had found out more about destinys mission / secrets of the gate seeding, found out more about their current position / other races and their view of destiny from the aliens AND had Telford die THAT would have made that EP riviting as it would have reaching and impactful conciquences to both the episode itself and the serise as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

"Meeting an alien race" - Its a sci fi show, this is meant to be a given. What did the race bring to the table... nothing. What did we find out from them... nothing. Why were they there... we have no idea. So we dont know their name, intentions on the seeder ship, intentions in regards to destiny or place in the SGU universe.. nothing.
    Frankly that's like watching the Band of Brothers Bastogne episode and complaining that it was filler because all they did was fight and that's what you expect from a WWII series. As I recall this is only the second time in the entire series that an alien race has been introduced, unless you count the mystic gas or the Lucian Alliance, so I'd say it is quite a significant plot movement.
    "Abandoning one of the main characters" - as was said already he has been on destiny a wet week and the loss of telford was nothing major. In fact his loss isnt even a loss considering how obvious it is we will see him again. When Rush was left on the planet we had no idea if we would see him again or get back seeing as it was the first season and had no idea if they were willing to remove a big name from the show so soon. We also had no clue how he would get back seeing as the blue aliens had not been tied into that ep at all. Now we know all that and have seen the formula before whats so revolutionary about doing it again? Nothing.
    That doesn't make the episode filler. Predictable, regurgitated maybe, but it isn't filler. Filler is when the writers/producers find themselves with a blank space where an episode should be so they do a standalone story. An episode that has absolutely no relevance to the overall pervading story and effectively 'resets' at the end.

Clearly this doesn't fall into that category. If you skipped it, you'd probably be complaining how quickly they got pally with their 'Maquis', you'd be wondering where Telford went to, who these new alien guys are, what's this ship they're on, where'd all this data come from and so on. Not to mention you'd have missed some nice bits of character drama, the name of the game in a character driven show, which is what Universe is.

Advertisement