Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x03 "Awakening" *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Frankly that's like watching the Band of Brothers Bastogne episode and complaining that it was filler because all they did was fight and that's what you expect from a WWII series. As I recall this is only the second time in the entire series that an alien race has been introduced, unless you count the mystic gas or the Lucian Alliance, so I'd say it is quite a significant plot movement.

That doesn't make the episode filler. Predictable, regurgitated maybe, but it isn't filler. Filler is when the writers/producers find themselves with a blank space where an episode should be so they do a standalone story. An episode that has absolutely no relevance to the overall pervading story and effectively 'resets' at the end.

Clearly this doesn't fall into that category. If you skipped it, you'd probably be complaining how quickly they got pally with their 'Maquis', you'd be wondering where Telford went to, who these new alien guys are, what's this ship they're on, where'd all this data come from and so on. Not to mention you'd have missed some nice bits of character drama, the name of the game in a character driven show, which is what Universe is.

Aside from completely ignoring my point that it could have been based on anything rather than an ancient ship and was simply there for plot convenience and not story reasons you are missing the point and specific word I underlined previously... new

That doesn't make the episode filler. Predictable, regurgitated maybe, but it isn't filler. Filler is when the writers/producers find themselves with a blank space where an episode should be so they do a standalone story. An episode that has absolutely no relevance to the overall pervading story and effectively 'resets' at the end..

it didnt need to reset at the end simply because it did next to nothing to drive the main plot along. in fact the one story that fits your description is the one where they found a keno by the gate sent from apparently the future? That was a brilliant story IMO becuase it showed so much of what the characters are like deep down because while the story itself was played out in the future it showed up how they would react in a life or death situation. We saw Greer would become the shepard of the flock and go down fighting and how he would give his life to protect the weaker ones, how scott would break down at being left as the last one standing and how in the end Rush would do the right thing for everyone. The whole story reset in the end but that didnt matter because it added to our understanding of the people and core belifes hence moving the story of SGU along in terms of the extremes of the cast. It showed us new sides of them.

Clearly this doesn't fall into that category. If you skipped it, you'd probably be complaining how quickly they got pally with their 'Maquis', you'd be wondering where Telford went to, who these new alien guys are, what's this ship they're on, where'd all this data come from and so on. Not to mention you'd have missed some nice bits of character drama, the name of the game in a character driven show, which is what Universe is.

I'm sorry but pally with the aliance prisioners? What exactly in this ep made them "pally" with them?
    I'd be wondering where telford went to... if I tuned back in 3 ep's time he will be back and I wouldnt know he was gone in the first place.
    All the data... what the data that bear in mind IN THIS EPISODE we heeard nothing about? This isnt a discusssion on the serise being filer but this episode specifically.
    nice bits of character drama... like what exactly? What new character key points did we see that was new?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JohnK wrote: »
    I'd say your right there and they could gate back to the ship in a future episode. It seems as logical to have a gate room on that ship as on Destiny and if it was never meant to have a crew on board then why the control room and life support? If nothing else the ancients would have wanted a way to send repair crews on board.
    Right. And like everything else the Ancients seemed to do, there would be redundant systems. Its unlikely that docking to a Seed Ship is the only way to board one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Solid ep. - best one this season so far. No Lt. Boobs = fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

All this nonsense talk of "plot" and "filler". What is the plot??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Good episode. I was actually hoping they'd connect back to Earth. They could have off-loaded most of the nobodies and then when the connection failed they'd have been forced to get the LA out to bolster their numbers.

As pointed out, why have they not followed Rush? If they don't find out about the bridge by next episode it'll have gone beyond a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

so chloe's involvement was "look doc, my leg is healed" and then showing off her fantastic legs at the end.

this show is starting to annoy me now. it's so very very slow and when each mini-story reaches it's climax it's such a feckin anti-climax and all tidied up neatly in a couple of mins :(

somuj wrote: »
    All this nonsense talk of "plot" and "filler". What is the plot??

Well if you read up on SGU you would see the season one plot was survival whilst season two is destinys mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

solid episode, will be interesting to see what exactly those aliens want, id say they want destiny, they only stunned the crew instead of killing them and then tried to drain destinys power preventing it from going anywhere, and the seeder ship seemed to be in working order, it only seemed to be parked up waiting for destiny to arrive,

its hard to say what will happen telford, they could be a firendly species, or they might torture telford for information, id say theyll be following destiny for the next few episodes,

id say maybe another few episodes till the LA are released, i cant see young just letting them roam around freely, afterall the crew are his responsability and earth dont give a toss about destinys crew, there more worried about there own asses to care, at least young has the balls to stand up to them unlike wray,

chloes seems to be staying in the background a lot for a main carcater, it will be interesting to see what happens to her, she obviously has been genetically modified, but to what extent, im kinda dissapionted as to how she has progressed, i was expecting her to have a bit of a spine by now, not running around the ship barking orders, but at least making sure her input is being taken in by the hirearchy,

i think we need young to just go back to earth and have it out with homeworld command and the IOA, this sh1t with wray trying to call the shots is retarded, young is in command, not wray or rush and that should be made abundantly clear to the whole crew, its kinda annoying me at this stage,

i concur more greer and james:D

SG-1 Spent at least a season, if not two, building up to Atlantis, an Ancient weapon, the lost city, etc. And I dont remember complaints about filler or plot development.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lol @ the discussion about it being a filler

Good episode, Rush keeping secrets is starting to get stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

hightower1 wrote: »
    ... whilst season two is destinys mission.
    Says who? Destiny's mission has been mentioned since the start, why is it only now decided that it is the plot for this season? I would have thought that would be the general overall series arc, not just a season plot. I'd much prefer the two alien species to be the main plot for this season, and given that Earth is fighting the LA and will (likely) have less to do with Destiny once they get the info they need, that could lead to a very interesting plot with Destiny being left alone and caught in between two species of Alien who both seem to want the Ancient technology, but can't access it without the crews "help".

Johnmb wrote: »
    Says who? Destiny's mission has been mentioned since the start, why is it only now decided that it is the plot for this season?.

Eh? I cant see how you think the mission was the theme of season one seeing as nearly that entire season was the crew trying to breath, eat and drink hence the EP titles like "air" and "water"???

Says who? ...... lol, Brad Wright the co-creator of the show!

Brad Wright: I think season 2 is going to be answering a lot of questions that were building up and that people may have been wanting to know the answers to all through season 1, the biggest of which is “What is this mission all about?” and “What was this ship launched for to begin with?”
    If season 1 was “We’re stuck on a runaway train and we don’t even know where it’s going,” then in season 2 we figure out how to steer the train and drive the train, and, of course, the question still remains whether or not we should, but also what the mission is, what The Destiny was launched for, and with that, our characters begin to understand that this isn’t all about getting home anymore.

Source: http://tvdeathray.com/2010/09/27/interview-stargate-universe-co-creator-brad-wright-previews-season-2/

Eh? I cant see how you think the mission was the theme of season one seeing as nearly that entire season was the crew trying to breath, eat and drink hence the EP titles like "air" and "water"???
    I don't think it was the plot of season 1, just as I don't think it'll be the plot of season 2.
    Says who? ...... lol, Brad Wright the co-creator of the show!

Brad Wright: I think season 2 is going to be answering a lot of questions that were building up and that people may have been wanting to know the answers to all through season 1, the biggest of which is “What is this mission all about?” and “What was this ship launched for to begin with?”
    If season 1 was “We’re stuck on a runaway train and we don’t even know where it’s going,” then in season 2 we figure out how to steer the train and drive the train, and, of course, the question still remains whether or not we should, but also what the mission is, what The Destiny was launched for, and with that, our characters begin to understand that this isn’t all about getting home anymore.

Source: http://tvdeathray.com/2010/09/27/interview-stargate-universe-co-creator-brad-wright-previews-season-2/
    That isn't actually a plot. That is some questions that he reckons may be answered this season, but the plot, i.e. the story being told, isn't necessarily about answering those questions, it would be a very short, or very boring, season if that's all the plot was. We learned a lot about Atlantis, by way of answering some very similar questions to those above, but I don't recall any season plot that was dedicated to answering them. They were picked up during other plots such as dealing with the Wraith, Replicators, etc.

Well if you read up on SGU you would see the season one plot was survival whilst season two is destinys mission.

And since Rush only mentioned the mission to his imaginary friends briefly on the bridge in the second epiosde I would hardly call it a plot yet.

If you read any amount of info on SGU you would uncover any amount of information clearly stated by the writers , cast and creators saying that the main theme of season 1 is survival and the main theme of season 2 is the mission.... its not personal opinion.... its fact.

In an interview with Gateworld...

GW: If Season One’s theme was the loss of everything that’s been in their lives before and learning to live in this new microcosm for the foreseeable future, what would you say are the major themes that are going to be coming in Season Two?
    LF: I think deeper relationships that arise from the very thing you just said, that camaraderie you would have with people over time. It’s not unlike a new civilization that’s built from the ground up. I mean, we started from the ground up — we needed air, we needed water. I think, eventually, it’ll delve deeper into everyone’s individual stories.
    And I think also a big part of that is the sci-fi element, which always puts out the bigger questions out there: Who are we? What are we here for? What is the purpose? And there’s something very interesting about the ship itself, Destiny, and what it represents and what that has to offer.
    I can’t give away much, obviously, but I can tell you that’s a very, very, big, big part of Season Two — the Destiny itself.

Source: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/09/young-at-heart/3/

In another interview ....

(Carlyle)

“But, not only that. There is, in fact, a mission. There has always been a mission. It has never been about going home. It’s a game-changer, as they like to say around here. Everything changes in that moment.
    “So Young, instead of wanting to kill [Rush], says, ‘What is it?’ [Rush] tells him, and it’s so mind-boggling he actually manages to get Young on [his] side. The dynamic changes between Rush and Young in that moment. They decide to come together and move forward. Don’t start looking behind. Stop saying we don’t belong on this ship. Embrace it, and move forward.”

Source : http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/08/rush-and-young-headed-for-new-revelations/

In an interview with SCI FI PI, Brad Wright again explains....

SCI FI PI reports that “the Destiny has a destination of cosmic importance,” according to an upcoming interview with executive producer Brad Wright — “so important that it overshadows the desire for the crew to get home, and that by fulfilling this new mission, it may in fact allow them to get home.”

Source: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/06/sgu-season-two-reveals-destinys-mission/

And the statements go on and on just do a search and you will see. So I dont need to add "imo" , its not my opinion.... its indeed fact... season 2 is about destinys mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i thought it was a pretty good episode. not outright "filler" like some episodes in Season 1 (the hallucinations one comes to mind) but still a pretty solid episode.

interesting about the seed ship and i'm wondering whether the aliens on it are related to the blue ones from season 1...? also curious as to whether they damaged the seed ship to trap destiny or discovered it like that, and studied it.

i'm not liking the way the LA story is playing out. hope they have an episode where they're dealt with fully and something comes of them. don't like the fact that it's just ticking along..."oh we're prisoners for another week. let's just take this on the chin". something needs to happen with them and the sooner, the better.

why has no one noticed about chloe's leg healing? :mad: hope they discover she has some sort of virus and to save everyone, they flush her out an airlock. i kinda liked her in season 1 but she's just getting really annoying now.

season 2 is a bit weaker than season 1. the episodes are divided a bit too much and everything gets developed a little bit each episode. i'd much prefer that each story gets a decent chunk of an episode rather than the little bits they're getting now. but the episodes are still interesting but it could be better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I actually thought it was a pretty good episode. I mean, technically it's filler because nothing actually happened... but in a way, it's setting up something to come. I mean obviously we haven't seen the end of Telford.

If you read any amount of info on SGU you would uncover any amount of information clearly stated by the writers , cast and creators saying that the main theme of season 1 is survival and the main theme of season 2 is the mission.... its not personal opinion.... its fact.
    Okay, I'll accept the above, but that is not what you originally claimed. While finding out more about the mission the Ancients planned may be a theme running through the season (and the next few assuming it is renewed), a theme is not a plot.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    interesting about the seed ship and i'm wondering whether the aliens on it are related to the blue ones from season 1...? also curious as to whether they damaged the seed ship to trap destiny or discovered it like that, and studied it.
    I'd say theres a modest chance of a relation. As for a trap I very much think so, given the stasis pods that they were "Awakened" from, and the fact that the ship had more than enough power but was shut down. No mention of any damaged systems; if there was visible dereliction to the engines, etc. they would have seen it on approach. In my opinion their mission was to instigate an encounter with destiny and disable it with a power tap. And the majority of whatever information was downloaded to destiny was likely diagnostic and automatic. I dont think Rush did or had to do anything on the bridge: Destiny picked up the beacon and navigated to dock with the Seeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Are the aliens from the seed ship Ancients? Sorry I'm a Stargate noob.

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »
    Are the aliens from the seed ship Ancients? Sorry I'm a Stargate noob.
    no the ancients were humans, the majority of them were wiped out by a plague, and we re-evolved from them, basically starting over,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Didn't destiny start the power transfer by tampering with the systems? So the aliens reversed it to save the seeder ship they were on, making the humans the aggressors.

Whatever happens with the aliens themselves
    you see the seeder ship explode in the 2nd season trailer

For all we know the aliens are caretakers on the ships....Furlings!

LoGiE wrote: »
    but theres also an episode titled twin destinys, so it could be another destiny for all we know

don ramo wrote: »
    but theres also an episode titled twin destinys, so it could be another destiny for all we know
    pretty much confirmed at a comic-con interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Didn't destiny start the power transfer by tampering with the systems? So the aliens reversed it to save the seeder ship they were on, making the humans the aggressors.

That's not a seeder ship, it's Destiny (Not our destiny I'm guessing, but a second one or alternate universe one)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

They couldn't possibly have been Furlings, for a start they weren't furry enough :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Did anyone else think that Greer and James's "you gotta see this" to Rush was going to be an observation deck/console/Kino looking at the pop-up bridge on Destiny?

Also, Telford said "I know basic Ancient". The FruitSpitters know Ancient also, so maybe they'll communicate via the seed ship interface and catch up to Destiny. So he'll probably be back.

Or maybe he meant Ancient Basic and he'll spend the rest of his days writing simple programs to make the consoles beep out Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" :pac:

He might also have gotten out of there by grabbing a gate (the one on the end of the production line might be ready to go) and dialling Destiny instead of having a dramatic farewell with Youing. Away teams always seem to know Destiny's position in space, so shouldn't be a problem.

Would walkie talkies work between two ships? Lucky they're not using 3G tech.

aincent lingo

google and wiki

I can read the steps on atlantis

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gulliver wrote: »
    He might also have gotten out of there by grabbing a gate (the one on the end of the production line might be ready to go) and dialling Destiny instead of having a dramatic farewell with Youing.
    I might be wrong, but it appeared that the last gate on the production line was either broken or unfinished. There's an obvious problem here too that destiny may not be able to dial the seed ship even if it knew an address - there are too many gates in close proximity. The seed ship may be able to dial out though.

I reckon Telford might figure out how to dial earth - he has the power for it, but he won't do it while the aliens are still there.

The aliens are undoubtably related to those we saw in season one - maybe a related species. If the seeder ships were sent out thousands of years before destiny, then perhaps these aliens are an earlier evolution of the blue ones, living on the seeder ship for thousands of years, hence why they know its systems so well.

I have a feeling that it's relevant that the initial encounter with the alien was so "docile". Perhaps he's like the sympathetic member of their crew who will help Telford get back to Destiny.

Rush will probably say that Destiny "knew" that they needed the power and automatically disconnected from the seed ship. How long has Rush been doing this and attributing it to some magical powers that the ship has? The time is probably running out for Rush. Obviously he was hoping to gate everyone back to earth then close the gate and take control of destiny.

Overall a good episode..

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but it appeared that the last gate on the production line was either broken or unfinished. There's an obvious problem here too that destiny may not be able to dial the seed ship even if it knew an address - there are too many gates in close proximity. The seed ship may be able to dial out though.
    In the Mily Way network of Stargates, when 2 or more gates are in proximity or share the same address, a DHD-enables gate always takes precedence. A similar setup could handle that interference and it seems reasonable that it would be designed with that in mind.
    I reckon Telford might figure out how to dial earth - he has the power for it, but he won't do it while the aliens are still there.
    I somehow get the feeling that Destiny's stargate may be the only one to dial back to Earth. Similar to the Atlantis Gate. Then again, that could have just been a horrible continuity error.
    The aliens are undoubtably related to those we saw in season one - maybe a related species. If the seeder ships were sent out thousands of years before destiny, then perhaps these aliens are an earlier evolution of the blue ones, living on the seeder ship for thousands of years, hence why they know its systems so well.
    Maybe. Or they are a different Caste within the same race or family of species.

Advertisement