Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCAS

• 12-10-2010 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello there fellow Boardies..
    So,I've decided to go to Uni in Scotland or England.The course I'm interested in is Nutrition & Dietetics but my question is on the UCAS application.I need pointers and advice please :) I downloaded the stuff off the website but I would gravely appreciate some experienced advice :) Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Speak to your career guidance teacher, there is a school code and stuff that you'll need for your teacher reference.

They should also help you fill in the form but have a look on the UCAS website, there's a guide//video there somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You're gonna need your school buzzword and help from your guidance counselor. You need predicted grades, a reference and of course your personal statement.

On a side note, who else is applying? I've just finished my application today

Medicine - East Anglia, Bristol and Leicester
    Pharmacy - Medway + Uni Ulster

I'm applying.. Have had the form filled for the past 3 weeks but I keep forgetting to pay... Once I've that done my careers teacher will add his amazing reference for me and hopefully it'll be sent by next week..! :):p

Uni Ulster

Which ones that in? Derry, Coleraine, Jordanstown, The other one..? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

As well as applying to the 'top' universities (Oxford, Cambridge) apply to some in more rural areas too, as it's a lot easier to get accepted there! Good luck. :D

• Advertisement

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Which ones that in? Derry, Coleraine, Jordanstown, The other one..? :p
    Coleraine.

To tell you the truth I haven't visited a single one of those universities or their cities but err... ;)

Coleraine.

To tell you the truth I haven't visited a single one of those universities or their cities but err... ;)

Lived near Coleraine (lovely seaside town - Portstewart) myself till I was 10..

If you end up there do not stay in Coleraine..! Portstewart is famous for being a tourist, student and old foggy town.. Coleraine is known for being very sectarian! Portstewart is lovely though.. Coleraine Uni is very 1960's... Manky building.. Don't want to put you off though..! ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

I started this year in the university of cumbria, doing radiography. Best thing I ever done. I was in engineering in ucd and hated it.

Its been great so far anyway and id recommend anyone to do the same!

Ciaramb92 wrote: »

If you end up there do not stay in Coleraine..! Portstewart is famous for being a tourist, student and old foggy town.. Coleraine is known for being very sectarian! Portstewart is lovely though.. Coleraine Uni is very 1960's... Manky building.. Don't want to put you off though..! ;) :P
    Mmmm vintage lab equipment. I can imagine the rusty steel scalpels and limescaled conical flasks already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Thanks everyone for your suggestions..
    However,my guidance counselor SUCKS..I went to her already...she basically repeated back to me what I said I knew about UCAS..I'm not applying through the school so I won't need a school number right?

Im applying as an independent student,again, because our g.c. can't work a PC,she was typing with one finger when i was in there and then she ''x'' off the page instead of making it fullscreen..and she was going to type my Referee thing...no thanks..I picked a teacher but havent asked him yet..how'd ye get on with the personal statement.Medicine cool!Im applying to RGU,Plymouth,Surrey. RGU really appealing because its beside the ocean,so waves :) wooo Plymouths requirements leave little room for error so RGU looks like my number uno :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

I just finished my application for UCAS there too. Applying to do business and Japanese in Edinburgh, Manchester, Cardiff, Soas. And both the guidance counsellors said I should apply to oxbridge and stuff and a friend of a mine who's applying basically forced me too as well. But I had an extra space so I'm applying to Japanese at oxford too. My hopes are not high but I'm getting more optimistic by the day. Should get in to the other places.... Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

How many colleges can you apply to through Ucas & where do you find out the requirements for the course? Thanks.

NotExactly wrote: »
    How many colleges can you apply to through Ucas & where do you find out the requirements for the course? Thanks.
    Just five (Four if you're choosing medical courses). You can just do a course search on their site and LC requirements (If even acceptable) are available under other tariff qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭osullic

I've finished my UCAS and I've applied to do optometry.

Anyone heard back from any of their Unis?

I've got an acknowledgement off one of them so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Go to the UCAS website,they list all courses,uni's etc on there.
    I still have'nt even begun my UCAS been far too busy,but it's midterm so I'm going to get crackin' with the personal statement. Anyone else apply Solo?Also how did you decide who your Refere would be?Anyone else thinking of going to RGU in Scotland?:)
    Let us know how yer all getting on anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Got my first offer! So happy especially since I only applied like a week ago. Never got an acknowledgement so that obviously doesn't matter at all. Only get acknowledgements from two other places as well

Finally got round to paying for it on Thurs (had my form finished weeks ago but parents don't have a Visa or Mastercard so had to sort that out). My career's teacher and I did the predicted grades yesterday and hopefully he'll have the reference done by the middle of the week (even though it is Mid-Term). He has a list of everything he's going to write about me..

Fingers crossed I get an offer by mid-November.. If I get an offer! :P

ruadhan wrote: »
    Got my first offer! So happy especially since I only applied like a week ago. Never got an acknowledgement so that obviously doesn't matter at all. Only get acknowledgements from two other places as well
    Wow, that's really quite early. Where and what is the course?

All i've gotten so far is the UCAS welcome letter and handbook, three acknowledgements from Leicester, Bristol and East Anglia and a specific "Your application to read Medicine" second acknowledgement off Bristol.

Now it's just the waiting game =/ Apparently most of them get back to you by Mid-November with whether or not you qualified for an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Hey there.

I have been offered an interview for a two year MSc in Occupational Therapy at Uni of Cumbria. I would appreciate ANY info about the uni, the good the bad- what it is like to live there ect... I am from the West of Ireland and while Ive lived abroad alot I am pretty nervous about this move. Any info would be wonderful if you have the time.
    Nollaig Shona!

• Advertisement

Hi there. What is the Uni of Cumbria like?
    I have an interview for a MSc there in January and while Ive lived abroad a fair bit Im nervous about this.
    If you could tell me any of the good and bad related to the uni it would be brillaint!

Louloubella.
    Galway
    cedan wrote: »
    I started this year in the university of cumbria, doing radiography. Best thing I ever done. I was in engineering in ucd and hated it.

Its been great so far anyway and id recommend anyone to do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Hi there. What is the Uni of Cumbria like?
    I have an interview for a MSc there in January and while Ive lived abroad a fair bit Im nervous about this.
    If you could tell me any of the good and bad related to the uni it would be brillaint!

Louloubella.
    Galway

I was pretty nervous about moving too but I am absolutely loving it now after my first term! I found that the people over there are generally more relaxed and helpful than I found in ucd when i studied there. The crime rate in lancaster is practically zero too which is nice. Make sure to apply early for campus accomodation because it makes a difference for settling in and finding your bearings etc.

The bad news is that the uni of cumbria is going through some bad times atm. Money is an issue from what i hear in the outside media and people are questioning how well it is run. From a personal experience studying there I have not noticed anything terrible going on.

As I have said I am delighted with my decision to make the move!

If you have any more specific questions about moving over I am more than happy to help! I may even be able to ask some of the OT's for an email address so you can chat to them!

Cedan.
    I was in Carlisle last week for an interview for a Masters program.
    The town initially looked really grotty and grey...I met some lovely people at the interview and I found the people really friendly.
    What is it like to live there?
    You said you are at the Uni of Cumbria- are you at Carlisle by any chance?!!

Hi Cedan.
    We were in touch a few months back. I was in Carlisle for an interview for OT.
    By any chance would you be able to put me in touch with anyone doing OT there at the moment?

Advertisement