Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating outside of school: science experiments.

• 12-10-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm about to drop out of an Applied Biosciences curse [too microbiological. I was hoping to do something like Wildlife Biology] and have another go at my Leaving Cert in order to attain better points and a second HC3. I want to repeat Biology [Got a C1 the last time] and do Physics&Chemistry [joint] and Agricultural Science as well [plus some other ones to pad out the points].

I've done all the Biology experiments, but how on earth would I do the lab practicals for PhysChem and AgriSci [hurray for abbrevs..]. I'm not going back to school, so..Could I ask a secondary school to let me in for the labs?
    Has anybody tried this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

I think, but don't quote me on this, some universities do lc practicals days and do them all in one day. Look into that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

niamhallen wrote: »
    I think, but don't quote me on this, some universities do lc practicals days and do them all in one day. Look into that:)

NUI Maynooth do LC practical days for biology, chemistry and physics. DCU and UL also do LC practical days but I'm not sure if they do all three subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You don't necessarily HAVE to do them yourself. None of the chemistry experiments (On the single Chemistry course) are that difficult that you need to do it yourself to understand. It would probably suffice to watch the experiment on youtube and perhaps read the marking scheme to get some key points like proper technique for filling a burette e.t.c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There are no mandatory experiments in phys-chem, yeh just have to know them for the lc.
    Although it probably would help doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Have you done Ag science before? Do you know about the project that has to be supervised and signed off by a registered ag science teacher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Have you done Ag science before? Do you know about the project that has to be supervised and signed off by a registered ag science teacher?
    If other schools are as helpful as mine, that shouldn't be a problem. We had a mature student in 6th year biology in my school last year for the experiments and ecology fieldwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

You don't necessarily HAVE to do them yourself. None of the chemistry experiments (On the single Chemistry course) are that difficult that you need to do it yourself to understand. It would probably suffice to watch the experiment on youtube and perhaps read the marking scheme to get some key points like proper technique for filling a burette e.t.c.

Comprehending the experiments isn't a problem, I just thought you need to have done them under supervision to be able to pass the subject.
    Probably not that difficult to do yourself, substituting household analogues of the proper chemicals.

I haven't. But I was aware of the fact. I was hoping that I could get someone in my old school to sign it. What does the project entail, exactly? I'm fairly familiar with the course material, but no idea about the project.
    THFC wrote: »
    There are no mandatory experiments in phys-chem, yeh just have to know them for the lc.
    Although it probably would help doing them.

Excellent. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Comprehending the experiments isn't a problem, I just thought you need to have done them under supervision to be able to pass the subject.
    Probably not that difficult to do yourself, substituting household analogues of the proper chemicals.
    Then you're fine. But tbh you couldn't really do any of the experiments by yourself with household substitutes. You need precise measurements for one. It'd be a nightmare for example to make a 1M solution of pure HCL and pure NaOH let alone acquiring the indicators, burette, pipette and conical flask that you'd need for a simple Acid-Base titration.

Just understand the experiments and you'll be doing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

What does the project entail, exactly? I'm fairly familiar with the course material, but no idea about the project.

A little information here on 2010 projects but not much

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_07_10_Agricultural_Science_Practical_Coursework.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I haven't. But I was aware of the fact. I was hoping that I could get someone in my old school to sign it. What does the project entail, exactly? I'm fairly familiar with the course material, but no idea about the project.

It's not just about signing off, that person has to grade your project. Have a read of this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467114

• Advertisement
Advertisement