Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My HD is failing/dying

• 12-10-2010 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

Sony Vaio FW11E, I have turned it off and not used it since I got the warning, I'm borrowing an external HD to back up.

Where do I go from here? Repair/Replacement? Where do I get the best deal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

all depends really, have you the restore disks? can you boot the system to burn restore disks? what os is it? Hard drives can be gotten from any computer part site or shop. Either get equivalent or bigger in disk size. There are guides on how to change laptop hard drives online, simple google will show them.

If you're not confident doing it yourself, bring it to someone that does know how. Done professionally can cost anything between 50-100 euro excluding parts. If getting it done by a business, ring round and get different quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    all depends really, have you the restore disks? can you boot the system to burn restore disks? what os is it? Hard drives can be gotten from any computer part site or shop. Either get equivalent or bigger in disk size. There are guides on how to change laptop hard drives online, simple google will show them.

If you're not confident doing it yourself, bring it to someone that does know how. Done professionally can cost anything between 50-100 euro excluding parts. If getting it done by a business, ring round and get different quotes.

Windows 7 Ultimate.

I don't need a restore disk as I don't have many files that need saving. I would have no problem, just backing up my music and a few other files. Then doing a clean install.

Also, how do I know what HD to get?

Pretty sure mine is: 250 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Should I stay clear of buying a second hand, off adverts?

if you have the install disks (restore disks) then you're fine. What you're looking for is a sata 2.5 inch hard disk, again you could go for bigger if you think you'd use it. Most laptop disks are 5400 rpm, 7200 can be a bit thicker so avoid them.
    Personally, I'd never buy second hand hard drives. They may become faulty and you have no comeback on that (could be a month or two down the line). At least with a drive in warranty you're covered.

Also, something I just overlooked. You say you got a warning, what was the warning?

So a 3.5 inch won't work? (FUUUUU-)
    When I booted up:

"Immediately backup your data and replace hard drive. A failure may be imminent." You could press F1 to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Did the machine originally come with W7 pre-installed? if so the drive will probably still be under warranty!

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Did the machine originally come with W7 pre-installed? if so the drive will probably still be under warranty!

Originally Vista. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

SeanKev wrote: »
    Originally Vista. :(

Well you did the right thing in getting shot of that!

My advise would be to stop using the machine until you've had the HDD replaced. You are only increasing the risk of it failing totally and that can mean data-recovery will be more difficult!

Feel free to PM me if you need any advice!

Good luck!!

Papa

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Well you did the right thing in getting shot of that!

My advise would be to stop using the machine until you've had the HDD replaced. You are only increasing the risk of it failing totally and that can mean data-recovery will be more difficult!

Feel free to PM me if you need any advice!

Good luck!!

Papa

Amen!

I haven't used it since, turned it off as soon as I got the message.
    Thank you.

By the sounds of it, you have a S.M.A.R.T. failure. You may get a few more boots out of it, but as mentioned, it's best not too. What'd I'd do is, take out the hard drive, put it in a caddy and copy the content to another drive while it's still functioning. Once you have the new drive in you should be set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement