Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Happy with Service from GP

Options
  • 12-10-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a medical emergency when I had to get an issue fixed as soon as possible but money is tight (unemployed) so I was trying to hang on a few days and treat the problem myself with basic 1st aid. I was unable to fix the problem myself because I was waiting on some piece of medical equipment (a syringe) to arrive by post but the problem kept getting worse and so I eventually went to see a GP.

The issue involved draining fluid from a swollen ear. This is normally done using a syringe however when I went to see the GP she used a scalpel to perform the drainage and not a syringe. I had my back to her when she was performing the procedure and so did not see what piece of equipment she was using. I asked her what she was using she told me she was using a scalpel. I inquired to why she was not using a syringe and she said a scalpel would do the same job.

Long story short the problem returned and the ear is now somewhat slightly permanently swollen thanks to her work with the scalpel rather than a syringe. Obviously I am not happy with this. The ear is still slightly sore and tender so I am going to ring up the GP and explain the situation and that I am not happy.

Does anyone feel I am entitled to look for my money back or even some sort of financial renumeration from the GP? Also what are my rights in terms of a customer?

Any advice or experiences on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First thing first, she is the doctor and you are not. We cannot comment on whether or not the scalpel was the better form of treatment.

Also, by leaving the condition deteriorate to the point that you did, how can you be sure that the residual soreness is not a legacy from the untreated condition?

Contact your GP and let her know about the residual soreness. But as for compensation, I don't think you've a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

That's a fair enough point. ASFAIK and from the experiences of other people who have experienced the same problem as I did, common treatment is done using a syringe. Also other people I know who have been treated using a syringe did not experience residual soreness following the procedure as opposed to the scalpel method.

I do accept that the GP in question is a medical professional and would know more on medical matters than me. However the difference in the treatment method I experienced in comparison to the common treatment method people I know experienced leads me to question the GP's treatment method on this specific medical matter.

Also the issue is not cured and in fact visibly worse in my opinion due to the GP's work with the scalpel and not in my opinion leaving the condition to deteriorate (again in all due respect to the medical qualifications of the doctor). In this respect do you still think I don't have a leg to stand on?

I'm not talking a compensation pay out but some sort of money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

If the issue is not cured as you say,then a second visit is called for dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On the one hand I agree that if you get treatment that is not satisfactory you feel like comparing the doctor to another service where if it were not satisfactory you can get your money back.

However in the long term it would probably have the same effect as insurance claims, services get cut back because they can't get insurance.

I think your first recourse is to go back and find out what is causing the pain, as a follow up visit it would be reasonable to expect there would be no charge, or a significantly reduced one.

However if you are unemployed you would have a medical card, wouldn't you? So why wait to get it treated? If you have a spouse working then you are in the same situation as many other one income families, and you have to decide whether you are willing to pay for treatment. Sticking a syringe in your ear doesn't sound like a great idea anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What jumps out at me is that you had to pay the GP in the 1st place, being unemployed shouldn't you have a medical / GP visit card :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Perhaps he is waiting for the card to arrive / application to process. My gf applied for 1 in January and told she wouldn't recieve it at the earliest til July. Finally arrived at end of August.

OP if you are entitled to a medical card, speak with the health centre about getting a confirmation letter. If you get this, the staff at the GP could probably issue you with a temp number each time you need to visit which would cover the gp charges. Look into this for future reference. It all depends on getting a confirmation letter tho!

This is what we did for my gf when she was told it would be months. She was given a temp number each time until her card arrived but she had to have the letter first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Let me get this right, you got an infection, you left it untreated to the point where sepsis or cellulitis may have occurred, without doubt some of the surrounding tissue will be necrotic and the infection deep seated, you were about to syringe this yourself (thank god it didnt arrive) which may have exacerbated the infection and endangered your hearing, and now you are blaming the doctor because it has not healed?, are you mad?.

If an infection is near a vital body part like your ear it must be lanced as soon as possible to relieve pressure and reduce the swelling, lancing with a scalpal when infection is near the surface is the perfect option, it drains the infection quickly and because the incision is longer than the needle prick from a syringe it is less likely to quickly close off and prevent drainage. The lancing of the swelling was to protect surrounding tissues by preventing further expansion, it does not provide an instant cure. No doubt you were prescribed antibiotics which will help clear the infection but thanks to your delay it may take longer.

You tried to self treat and made matters worse, don't dare blame the GP, and expect to pay again if you need further treatment with your GP, this situation is not his/her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their reply's.

Firstly I do not have a medical card because I am unable to claim job seekers allowance because I failed the means test. Because of this I assumed I am unable for a medical card so I did not apply for one.

I went back to the GP today and explained the situation. The GP was more than happy to help me and kindly fixed the problem for me as well as writing me a subscription for additional medicine. Kindly the GP did not charge me for this visit which I appreciated. I suppose the moral of the story is that if you pay for a service and you are not happy with that service received than the providers of this service will do their to make sure the issue is sorted once you explain the situation to them.

Anyway mod's feel free to lock the thread as the initial problem is sorted

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The process is called lancing,

You can do it with either a scalpel or a syringe, although you should never use the syringe to 'suck' out the puss.

Same can happen under a tooth, in this case its called an absess and a hole is drilled to let it drain normally.

Never use a syringe in that way unless directed to do so by a medical professional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement