Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 points extra for HL Maths in LC 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Does that mean if you get 6 A1s (all higher) in the LC in 2012 including an A1 in maths, you'll get 625 points? Or is 600 the cut off point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

BL1993 wrote: »
    Does that mean if you get 6 A1s (all higher) in the LC in 2012 including an A1 in maths, you'll get 625 points? Or is 600 the cut off point?

presume it wont matter as none of the courses will go over 600 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Honestly can't believe it, and for a completely dumbed-down new maths course (Project Maths, the saviour of Irish numeracy :rolleyes: ).

I wonder if it'll apply to medicine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

BL1993 wrote: »

i was wondering this too, but 600 will probably still be the highest points you can get, the extra 25 points will only apply if you're going to a university.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

This has made my day. A D3 worth 70 points? Incredible!:D And I was aiming for a B2 for 80!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Why wasn't i told this before I dropped to pass ugh :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Why wasn't i told this before I dropped to pass ugh :mad:

because it was just announced yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

because it was just announced yesterday

Oh I heard someone talking about it earlier..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCK

Why not next year? ****ing cúnts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Why, oh why can't they bring it in for us, LCs 2011..! :(

Would love it as I am aiming for the A1 in maths, 125 points would be amazing..! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Um, what's the point in bringing in extra points for HL maths..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Teutorix wrote: »
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCK

Why not next year? ****ing cúnts.
    Whatever year it came in, the previous year(s) would feel hard done by.

Agree with the reservations re: introducing this at the same time as Project Maths.
    Um, what's the point in bringing in extra points for HL maths..?
    To encourage more people to take HL Maths. Many people do drop down because they feel there are easier subjects to pick up points in; that bit of the thinking is valid.

If this goes ahead will UL be dropping their bonus points for HL math?

Teutorix wrote: »
    If this goes ahead will UL be dropping their bonus points for HL math?
    Hard to know ... they may fall into line with the others for simplicity.

They may not though ... their scheme is there a while, they may just decide to stick with it. For those getting lower grades on HL, the new scheme would be better; for those scoring B1 or higher, the existing scheme is preferable.

("The following additional scores are awarded for grades A1 to C3 in the Higher Leaving Certificate paper in Mathematics: A1=40; A2=35; B1=30; B2=25; B3=20; C1=15; C2=10; C3=5." - UL website)

They may not though ... their scheme is there a while, they may just decide to stick with it. For those getting lower grades on HL, the new scheme would be better; for those scoring B1 or higher, the existing scheme is preferable.
    So do you get 25 points instantly now just for passing HL math?

If UL are going to fall in line with that im glad its not next year, i could do with an extra 35/40 points :D

Apparently ...

Someone is confident of their A! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

What's the point?
    It may influence a few people to do HL maths but it's in a way, giving people that have an aptitude in maths, extra points??

And giving extra points to those doing Project Maths, a dumbed down version of the course the current LC crop are doing, whyyyyy?

But then again, I'm just kinda pissed seeing as I had to drop to OL maths this year due to how hard I found the HL course and that I don't get to do Project Maths :/

What's the point?
    It may influence a few people to do HL maths but it's in a way, giving people that have an aptitude in maths, extra points??

And giving extra points to those doing Project Maths, a dumbed down version of the course the current LC crop are doing, whyyyyy?

But then again, I'm just kinda pissed seeing as I had to drop to OL maths this year due to how hard I found the HL course and that I don't get to do Project Maths :/

yes it is very unfair on students who would struggle with even pass maths! i think it should only be applied to courses where maths is needed, such as financial mathematics and actuarial science.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

i like pie wrote: »
    yes it is very unfair on students who would struggle with even pass maths! i think it should only be applied to courses where maths is needed, such as financial mathematics and actuarial science.

My thoughts exactly.
    Some people have an aptitude for Maths.
    Others, for languages etc.
    Just because someone is good at maths, and aload of other people aren't doesn't mean that these people capable of maths should be given extra points.
    What about the people talented at speaking French while a person doing HL maths may not be able to stick a sentence together?

• Advertisement

My thoughts exactly.
    Just because someone is good at maths, and aload of other people aren't doesn't mean that these people capable of maths should be given extra points.
    What about the people talented at speaking French while a person doing HL maths may not be able to stick a sentence together?
    I think the idea is to encourage people who would be able for HL math to do it. Loads of people drop it because it is too much work even though they could do it if they tried.

also what about the schools who don't even offer the choice of doing higher level maths for the lc? why should these students be denied the opportunity of doing a subject that would gain them 25 extra leaving cert points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

My thoughts exactly.

If some people have an aptitude for languages, they can get a maximum 300 or 400 points from languages, say by doing Irish, English, French and German.

For most university admissions, to matriculate, there are 3 compulsory language courses (Irish, English and a third language) and maths (there might be another requirement for some courses).

By the logic of your post, surely the existing system is more unfair on those without an aptitude for languages than the proposed system is for those without an aptitutde for maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

will IT's introduce this does anyone know ?

will IT's introduce this does anyone know ?

maybe in a few years, but it just seems to be the universities that are going to try it first in 2012. another reason why the whole idea is unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

maybe in a few years, but it just seems to be the universities that are going to try it first in 2012. another reason why the whole idea is unfair!

that's fair messed up ....

fergalr wrote: »
    If some people have an aptitude for languages, they can get a maximum 300 or 400 points from languages, say by doing Irish, English, French and German.

For most university admissions, to matriculate, there are 3 compulsory language courses (Irish, English and a third language) and maths (there might be another requirement for some courses).

By the logic of your post, surely the existing system is more unfair on those without an aptitude for languages than the proposed system is for those without an aptitude for maths?
    Totally agree with this, I am great at English but have a large amount of difficulty grasping foreign languages including irish (its foreign to me :p ) the bonus points for maths are a big help as my school dosent offer physics or applied maths so i have to do geography and business blegh :mad:

fergalr wrote: »

By the logic of your post, surely the existing system is more unfair on those without an aptitude for languages than the proposed system is for those without an aptitutde for maths?

You could put languages into different categories though. Like some people are great at English (their first language), others at grasping new foreign languages and some people can be good at Irish (mostly a memory game these days though).

And people that have an aptitude for maths (my friends who can get A's at a whimper yet I can't put 2 and 2 together at times!) get 25 points extra as they just have that mathematical brain.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea because I'm not fully sure (if it proves successful then grand).
    I'm just saying that they should really hold back the bonus points until they see how well Project Maths is received.
    I haven't done it so I don't know what it's like but from what I've heard, 2012s LC'ers will find Project Maths abit more manageable. Incentive enough? Doesn't really look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Fúcking joke, now if I ever hear of someone getting over 500 points, the first question I'll ask is "Did you do HL maths?" if they say yes, I immediately label them a rétard :), whilst congratulating the people who did ordinary level and got 500...I mean 70 points for a D3 is an absolute disgrace, anyone with half a brain could get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

You could put languages into different categories though. Like some people are great at English (their first language), others at grasping new foreign languages and some people can be good at Irish (mostly a memory game these days though).

And people that have an aptitude for maths (my friends who can get A's at a whimper yet I can't put 2 and 2 together at times!) get 25 points extra as they just have that mathematical brain.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea because I'm not fully sure (if it proves successful then grand).
    I'm just saying that they should really hold back the bonus points until they see how well Project Maths is received.
    I haven't done it so I don't know what it's like but from what I've heard, 2012s LC'ers will find Project Maths abit more manageable. Incentive enough? Doesn't really look like it.

The thing is, that dumbing down higher level maths (which 'making it more manageable' might mean), to make it more attractive, is not going to help people beyond the leaving cert. Maths is just more and more important for so many fields. Thats just the world we are living in.

People do respond to incentives; the extra 25 points is probably going to result in a lot of people going for high points courses (which will, of course, increase in points as a result) choosing to focus on maths.

Is it the best solution? No, and of course it has problems. But a lot of the problems are problems with the leaving cert as a whole, not with this change.

For example:

I mean, maybe French points should just apply to courses that involve foreign languages, or Irish points shouldn't apply to science courses, etc.

Its definitely a criticism of the leaving cert that your grades in irrelevant_subject_here influence admissions to your totally_unrelated_degree_course - but 25 extra points doesn't really change that, either way.

Advertisement