Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 points extra for HL Maths in LC 2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Why is it not coming in this year?:mad:

I can understand why the higher maths students get extra points because there is so much more work involved in the subject. It takes an hour to 2 hours to do my Maths homework every night and that if I'm getting all the sums straight away. The project Maths course is supposed to be a lot easier than this one though.
    Fúcking joke, now if I ever hear of someone getting over 500 points, the first question I'll ask is "Did you do HL maths?" if they say yes, I immediately label them a rétard :), whilst congratulating the people who did ordinary level and got 500...I mean 70 points for a D3 is an absolute disgrace, anyone with half a brain could get that.
    What is this I don't even ...
    I can understand people not thinking it's fair but this is something else altogether. Have you even seen the higher maths paper or comparing the higher and ordinary papers? There is a huge difference. I assure you a d3 student in higher maths will more than likely get an A in ordinary and vice versa or the ordinary student will do worse in Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 philip___

i think it's great that they're bringing it in..just cause I want extra points..but i doubt many more people will do higher..extra points wont change the fact that people simply aren't able to do Higher Levem maths, its nothing to do with it being too much effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Why is it 25 points extra no matter what grade you get? That's fairly retarded like. It's just throwing points at people. At that rate, HL maths will almost virtually be a requirement for anyone going for a very-high-point course so they can compete with the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

philip___ wrote: »
    i think it's great that they're bringing it in..just cause I want extra points..but i doubt many more people will do higher..extra points wont change the fact that people simply aren't able to do Higher Levem maths, its nothing to do with it being too much effort!

I'd be willing to bet you are wrong about that; don't have any hard evidence, though, just some thoughts:

1) I don't think ability is the issue nearly as much as how the maths is taught
    2) There will be knock on effects of this change - as the years pass, parents will want their kids to get those 25 extra points, and will put pressure on schools to have a good maths curriculum
    3) I actually think there are a lot of people at the moment that are able to do higher level maths but are avoiding it (or taking it as their 7th subject) because its hard work for the points, and they are choosing tactically where to invest their effort - this will alter that balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Fúcking joke, now if I ever hear of someone getting over 500 points, the first question I'll ask is "Did you do HL maths?" if they say yes, I immediately label them a rétard :), whilst congratulating the people who did ordinary level and got 500...I mean 70 points for a D3 is an absolute disgrace, anyone with half a brain could get that.

Someone is a ****ing retard for taking on a more challenging course to take advantage of extra points?

I'd say thats pretty smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I really think it's unfair. I dropped to HL maths and it makes me sooo guilty now to think i could get extra points. Even though I am terrible at maths. Just because some people are brilliant at maths it's not fair giving them extra points when some people (like me) arent able for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

25 points is the difference between an A2 and an A1 in 2 subjects and the difference between a B1 and an A2 in another subject, I assure you it is a big deal...The worst thing is it's not even the old half-decent curriculum, it's the new project maths shít where they're cut out basically all the important stuff like Matrices and Vectors which you actually use in College, and anyway chances are most courses will see a ridiculous point surge as a result of this labelling it a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

can't decide whether to be ashamed for the level of mathematics in this country or to be happy for my future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Re Project Maths-I'm working with it already (pilot school) and it should benefit all students in the long run as it is a more practical approach to maths with a massive emphasise on understanding rather than "learn this exactly as I show you" etc.
    In relation to the comment: "new project maths shít where they're cut out basically all the important stuff like Matrices and Vectors which you actually use in College"
    Just to point out that the colleges were heavily involved in designing the new course and a huge section on Probability and Statistics have been added to the curriculum which one might say is more broadly applicaple to students in all disciplines at 3rd level rather than vectors and matrices which are more pure mathematics. For example pretty much every student will study statistics from psychology to business!

In relation to the extra points I suppose my opinion is as per the colleges that this is a sticking plaster to a problem at 2nd level where Higher maths is not available to all students and is not always taught by teachers who are qualified/capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

can't decide whether to be ashamed for the level of mathematics in this country or to be happy for my future.

Be ashamed. I'm in my third week of Maths at Trinity, and already so many people are talking about changing course.
    I even heard one guy saying "It's so different to school maths. I thought they'd just give us all the formulas like at school but here we need to understand everything."
    Even most of the Theoretical Physics can't handle the Linear Algebra module.

Mathematics in this country is a disgrace. Bringing in an additionof 25 points for HL is just stupid. It wont make the subject easier or encourage people to do a maths related course in college. So what if they have a peice of paper saying they got a D3 at HL as opposed to an A1 at OL?

If they wanted people to be encouraged to do HL, they' broaden the Applied Maths course to things that aren't just Classical Mechanics. They'd bring in parts of Biology, Economics, Medicine, and more Physics.

Or just keep it the way it is and make it make more schools teach it.
    They'll never dumb down the AM course.
    They can't.

• Advertisement

Well whinging about Theoretical Physics is understandable...it is the hardest course in the country after all.

However, the rétard in your Maths course who actually said "oh em gee you need to understand it? im outta here" is a fúcking retard. What was he/she expecting? I regret not putting it down instead of Eng so I kinda have a reason to be bitter but retards like this do my nut in.

Well most of the Theoretical Physics guys think the physics is easy and find all the maths modules really hard.
    The TPs and Maths do all of the same modules maths modules except we do computation and stats.
    Some people clearly shouldn't be doing either course. Myself and a few others are complaining about not being challenged enough.

If that's the result of normal maths, Project Maths will only make it worse, so 25 points extra wont help.

Not being challenged enough...the final exams should sort that out :O they're supposed to be fúcking impossible, pick up marks from tutorials wherever ya can because you're going to need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I have my problems with project maths, you could definitely class it as dumbing down. The extra points however, if only 16% of people are taking higher level maths when it is available basically everywhere, tells me it is the one of the hardest subjects and deserves more marks than HL geography. I am capable of getting a good B in HL maths but was debating whether or not to do it because it would take up so much extra time than another subject for the same points. That extra 25 points makes it worth my while to keep it at higher level, which was the aim of the extra points.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

I don't think that it is fair for people that are doing HL Maths in 2011 as the project maths is much easier. For 2011 we have to learn much more difficult stuff and what??? We are NOT getting extra points. It just isn't fair :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

However, the rétard in your Maths course who actually said "oh em gee you need to understand it? im outta here" is a fúcking retard. What was he/she expecting? I regret not putting it down instead of Eng so I kinda have a reason to be bitter but retards like this do my nut in.
    And people who feel the need to use the word retard 3 times in a post, and to circumvent the swear filter on a regular basis for no good reason that I can see do MY nut in!

You have had several on-thread warnings about your aggressive style of posting and general use of language.

Yellow card issued on this occasion, I must be getting soft in my old age!

Cop on, or take it somewhere else.

Paczini wrote: »
    I don't think that it is fair for people that are doing HL Maths in 2011 as the project maths is much easier. For 2011 we have to learn much more difficult stuff and what??? We are NOT getting extra points. It just isn't fair :(

Big deal. No one has ever gotten extra points before.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Big deal. No one has ever gotten extra points before.

I don't agree with you as there were extra points before but they are introducing them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I cant' understand this hatred at the idea for extra marks for HL maths.. ok project maths is a dumbed down piss take compared to the old leaving cert that I did from what I can see but still - it's still HL maths..

Anyone who can do HL maths has a mind that understand and can think for itself is what I've found out from my experience - the HL maths class is the class with the cleverest brightest students - it's probably one of the only subjects where you can't just learn stuff off by heart and recite it in the exam - you have to understand and think for every question and that's why it deserves more recognition - because it's not a memory game

I could probably have gone and gotten an A in 10 lanuages or whatever number of lanuages there are if I went and sat down and learned everything by heart - but does that make me clever - nope - just shows I have a good memory which tbh isn't a whole lot of good for most college courses - after all would you want your local GP to be the guy that got his exams because he was an absoulte genius at short time memorising or the guy who understood everything he was taught and therefore remembered all the stuff into his old age... I know what I'd prefer

Maths just always seems to bring the cleverest people to the forefront - true some people may have more of a talent for art or french or whatever other subject you want to mention - but maths is the only subject that really pushes the student to think analytically and this is one of the major things that most major companies want their employees to be good at so therefore rewarding students for attempting and passing HL maths is a brilliant idea in my eyes and unfortunately it wasn't an option when I did the leaving not that I would have needed the points as it turned out...

But upon saying all this - the Project Maths seems to be an ultra dumbed down maths course that really does need to be tightened up a lot and made more difficult more like the old course...

It'll be very interesting to see how this turns out anyways and I'll be keeping a eye on it anyways

Advertisement