Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation funding in Ireland??

Options
  • 12-10-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

My friends and myself are putting together an animation in Irish. We hope to make a 10 episode series of shorts based on Irish folklore. I don't speak Irish myself but one of us four is a fluent speaker and we've agreed to do it all 'as gaeilge' with him.

We've a clear vision on what the finished animatics will look like and we're working on storyboards and the storyline is pretty much finished (hopefully)

We all have talents in illustration and animation but are as thick as ditches (okay I speak for myself) when it comes to the business side of things - funding etc.

I've researched on websites like the IFB, Arts Council, TG4 etc, but I still have many questions to ask and am a little confused.

Ideally we'd like the series to end up on the tele. TG4 - RTE etc.

We're also thinking of just making one of the 10 first - as a pilot - and maybe enter it into a film festival.

But is it possible to get funding if you're only entering it into a film/animation competition/festival

Hope its not too confusing.

Basically;
    Funding for an Irish tv series- who's the best one to ask for money?
    To enter a film festival? who to ask for money?

Any advice would be a massive help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Within Ireland the IFB are the only ones really who fund animated productions but you'll be hard going trying to get funding for a whole tv series from them. Most of the schemes are for animated shorts and the guidelines are very strict. You would need to have at least one person involvded who has a producing credit for animation [depending on the project they may accept a live action credit] What are your backgrounds? Do any/all of you have experience with serialised animation production?

You can look for private funding but its a hell of alot of money to go find privately. The animated tv series I currently work on is 26 eps a season with a production cost of around 5 million per season - the animation isn't even the biggest cost, sound/voice recording and music copyright will eat a massive chunk of budget.

Outside of Ireland you can head to Annecy in June with a detailed proposal, scripts, show reel, budget breakdown etc and look for funding from within the EU or an animation production house that would be interested in producing.

Advertisement