Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ever intentionally click ads by google?

• 12-10-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Just clicked a google ad to watch tv online - in Holland and want to watch the football.

It is the first time I ever clicked a google ad intentionally and I've been using the internet for 12/13 years

So curious does anyone often use them?

PS do not post links to watch RTE online - I think its legally shady and will prob get you a ban. Furthermore I'm going to catch the second half in the Irish bar.

do you ever intentionally click ads by google? 16 votes

Regularly
    0% 0 votes
    Maybe 1-10 times a year
    6% 1 vote
    Never
    93% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

There are ads....................ON THE INTERNET?

/guffaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Never. He'd like it too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It baffles me how advertising on the internet is so huge.

I would never trust an ad on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

PS do not post links to watch RTE online - I think its legally shady and will prob get you a ban. Furthermore I'm going to catch the second half in the Irish bar.

You can its not Illegal to post links to the sites..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, others do, based on the money they made me :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Adblock is your friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanob43

I clicked ads by google on purpose on a site I hate.Happy that their acount got banned.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Adblock is your friend :)
    This man knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Adblocker FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's a thread in the Soccer forum for posting match streams for future reference - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055680428&page=32

I don't click on any ads.. I have most ad servers blocked from my HOSTS file anyway so it wouldn't do much good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I don't click on any ads.. I have most ad servers blocked from my HOSTS file anyway so it wouldn't do much good

+1
    and
    I don't click on any ads intentionally either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I detest the adverts in the standard search results, particularly since they stopped just putting them on the right-hand side and included some in what should be the real results listing (with only a far-too-subtle distinction in background colour).

If a site can't register in Google on its own merits, then it doesn't have what I want. So why should I click on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I often click on the ads in gmail... they regularly link to stories I'm interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Mark200 wrote: »
    I often click on the ads in gmail... they regularly link to stories I'm interested in.

Reeeeheeeeheeeeheeeeaaaaaly?

<puts on tin foil hat>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What ads?

No ads here

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Sometimes to intentionally cost the ad owner money, or to earn the website owner a few pennies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

The ads on Youtube have gotten fairly intrusive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

It's been said twice already in this thread.

Firefox + Adblock Plus = Bye bye ads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I hate those party poker ads popping up the whole time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Adds irritate the s'hit out of me. I intentionaly ignore them, If i want to buy something i'll go look for it, i don't want to be asked every 2 seconds, it's like those annoying little f'uckers who try to pull you into their shops when you're on holiday:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Sometimes the content of the ad actually is something I'm interested in. I don't purposefully not click on ads, if I think it'll be worth going to that site there's a link right there so I click it.

In saying that it's very rare that I do click on one.

I'd guess that a large proportion of Googles revenues from ads would be from users who don't even realise they're clicking on an ad, thinking it's just an internal link or site content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't click them ever, but having work for a few months in a job that involved search engine marketing, I can tell ya that lots of people do click on them, and webmasters can make a fortune using Adwords :eek:

I really don't know who's clicking them though :confused: Must be people like my mam and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Mark200 wrote: »

I sometimes click on ones I am completely not interested in just to throw them off. Blinds - up to 55% Off - wow neato.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I hate those party poker ads popping up the whole time

they're annoying but not as annoying as the live jasmin pop ups. When u click the video, when u click play on the video, infuriathog.

Advertisement