Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy vs Serbia mayhem

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Its as clear as daylight that there riots were organised. I hope the Serbs get thrown out of Fifa/Uefa for a few years for this. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Serbia is a bit dyfunstional, they will be along time getting beyond the loss of thier "nation" as they liked to view Yugoslavia. The country has a very murky politcial/judicial environment where anything and everything goes. I doubt they much care about travel bans or would be remotely able to enforce them if they did care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Least Vidic got the night off i guess

look on the bright side and that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Italians have to take a good bit of blame. How can people get into a stadium with knifes, metal bats, flares and fireworks? I'd have thought seraching of away fans would be nearly compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

A lot of Serb football fans are animals. When Cork City were playing Red Star a few years back the Red Star fans stole one of the banners brought by the City fans from the stands and burnt it. This all happening during the match. That was a fairly mild incident compared to some other stuff you'd hear.

The Serbs seem to hold a grudge against every other nation in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Hopefully Genoa's police will deal with these in the same extreme, barbaric way they did with the G8 protests a few years ago.

I somehow doubt they will though, taking on some Serb monsters just doesn't appeal to the Carabinieri as much as kicking the sh1t out of hippies does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nothing the experts at Fitzgibbon St couldn't handle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

orourkeda wrote: »
    Ah the good old days are back.

You cant beat a bit of an auld riot.

"The good old days" never left from alot of European countries, especially Eastern Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Italians have to take a good bit of blame. How can people get into a stadium with knifes, metal bats, flares and fireworks? I'd have thought seraching of away fans would be nearly compulsory.

Italian stadium crowd control is often talked up. I've walked into the San Siro many a time and have been searched once after the riots in Sicily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Riot? what riot?

all i saw was a few gob****es up on the plexiglass!
    You can be gauranteed that those lads are in for some beating from the italian police. One thing you dont do in italy is mess with the carabinari.

I been to genoa and that stadium. Its a ****hole. The seats arent real seats, more like glorified terraces plus the toilets are just holes in the ground. Most stadiums in italy are poor.

The only good thing about it is ireland v romania penalty shoot out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They opened two single doors at the back of the stand and started letting people out one by one searching everyone as they went, after a while it became apparent that a group didn't want to leave the terrace so the police gathered and rushed, this was after a good 45 minutes, nobody else left in there but this group of ****.

Cops rushed and battered them. About 50 or so were rounded up and taken to a holding area in a station nearby.

Some of the hooligans had used the exiting time to gather outside and started to roit near the stadium, they were met by more police who were bussed in from Milan and Turin. Something like 20 ambulances on the scene at 11 (CET) last night with a lot of hospitalisations.
    The carabinari do not **** about but at the same time they handled this very well, they let genuine fans leave the gorund and only rushed when it became apparent that they had no other choice and they shepherded the crowed in a way that meant as little interaction as possible between serbians and locals. They held the serbs at stadium until the italian fans were gone and then started letting them move on, thats when the groups outside started to riot again.

Serbian police didn't pass the name of a snigle hooligan to the Italian F.A. and didn't warn of any extreme element. the Italian police had a largish force present just incase anything happened, thank **** for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mister men wrote: »
    Disgrace of a nation?

Yes, a disgrace of a nation. Look at the recent history of that state and tell me one good thing to happen there, apart from them winning the eurovision :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I love all the bleeding heart P.C. types that rush into this sort of thread all reproachful and talking about how 'you can't tar a whole nation for the actions of a few' or 'poor people, it was only a war zone recently enough' etc, etc.

Serbia, the country is a genuine mess from top to bottom with deep social problems that are an offshoot of a shocking recent history. As a consequence, a significant proportion of their male population are completely off their rocker by our standards. It's okay to note that. It's not a controversial statement.

Those boys causing the hassle last night will be very sore this morning, no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Some of the comments here are a joke altogether, you can not judge an entire country on a few scumbags. I was in Serbia (twice) and all of the people I met seemed like nice people. The one exception was a Red Star fan who was obviously pumped up on steroids. In eastern Europe soccer has a large following amongst these scumbag types. Going to a match usually involves a fight. Going to the wrong place (in a football context) could be really really bad for your health!

• Advertisement

Full length video

2 seconds in, lol "bring out the flag"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

They got the man in the balaclava. Apparently they identified him by his tattoos and found him in the luggage compartment of the last bus to leave Genoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

carlop wrote: »
    They got the man in the balaclava. Apparently they identified him by his tattoos and found him in the luggage compartment of the last bus to leave Genoa.

Delighted, hope he got a good doing over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

carlop wrote: »

Must have been a rocket scientist.
    Wear a balaclava and then have those tats on show.

inforfun wrote: »
    Must have been a rocket scientist.
    Wear a balaclava and then have those tats on show.

Thats the kind of pr*ck that was stirring stuff up during the war there. How a football match involving Serbia and Italy ends up with some moron burning an Albanian flag, i'll never know. Should be banned from football altogether and then some racism charge and lock the f*cker up. Scum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My mate lives across the street from the stadium - said it was just nuts.

3-0 win to Italy is what UEFA say, but Serbia should be disqualified and banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

A few of the Serbian posters on Redcafe reckon that it was all planned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

xtal191 wrote: »

You write that as if you are surprised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

xtal191 wrote: »

No ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

As in they were payed and sent over to get the game called off by some members of the Serbian FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What was the motivation behind the hooligans getting the match called off? Just to upset the entire country of Serbia or was it something more worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    As for SRFC its types of your ilk that put me in this situation numerous ****ing times.

What a laughably outrageous thing to say! Firstly classing me in the same as the Serbian fans last night, and secondly saying you've been in the situation that was present last night numerous times!

Calm down would you, how do ya leave the house.

Some serious beatings right at the end of this if your not arsed watching the rest; http://video.sky.it/?bclid=632601937001&bctid=633000961001#video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Dempsey wrote: »
    What was the motivation behind the hooligans getting the match called off? Just to upset the entire country of Serbia or was it something more worthwhile?

I think they were pissed off with the sacking of Raddy Ancic and shocking form since he left which is understandable, but doesn't justify or merit anything they did obv.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

0101013102042462_20101013.jpg

I'm guessing the bit where he tells friends of the great night in Genoa will be missing the part where he hid to get away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus why didnt the police just leather the ****e out of him,

Not a scratch on the bollix ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dont forget Serbia play Northern Ireland next September in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

mikeym wrote: »
    Dont forget Serbia play Northern Ireland next September in Belfast.
    lol, that will end well.

They will be banned from briniging any fans with them on travels now I will suspect.

Pity that.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

tolosenc wrote: »
    My mate lives across the street from the stadium - said it was just nuts.

3-0 win to Italy is what UEFA say, but Serbia should be disqualified and banned.

Why? The Team and 99.9% of the population should be punished for the actions of idiots?

Degag wrote: »
    Why? The Team and 99.9% of the population should be punished for the actions of idiots?

Its not first time that Serbia fans have caused wreck.

Anyone remember Vidic having to tell the fans to stop fighting in a game against New Zealand before WC?

They have be punished in some form more then the result, for this to not happen again.

Maybe have home games played behind closed doors and ban fans travelling away.

UEFA have to take stern action and have to say this is not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Platini 'shocked,' but checks dropped?

UEFA President Michel Platini was “shocked” by incidents in Genoa, but authorities reveal why there were no checks on fans before entering the stadium.

“When I got back from Amsterdam, I saw the footage of Italy-Serbia and was shocked,” Platini told L’Equipe.

“I have too many ugly memories tied to violence in the world of football. I await the results and decisions of the disciplinary body and remind everyone that UEFA have a zero tolerance policy to violence in stadiums.”

Serbian hooligans were intent on ruining the match and stopping it from going ahead, but many have asked how they took so many weapons, bolt-cutters and flares into the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

“Entrance into the stadium was a critical moment for various reasons,” explained Roberto Masucci, spokesman for the government taskforce on sport-related security.

“The checks were dropped in favour of letting the Serbian fans into the stadium, therefore avoiding further damage around the city of Genoa.

“There had already been rioting in the streets and the stadium is in an unfortunate position, right in the centre of the city, so we were unable to set aside a filter zone to check each person individually.

“One must also consider the criminal determination these fans had in seeing through their pre-meditated plan.”

So there were no security checks on the way into the stadium BECAUSE the Serbs had been causing trouble outside the stadium. What a joke.

That is shocking that no checks were done, they were asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

We had to have passports with us to prove who we were against Juventus, seems amazing that they would do that for 900 rovers fans but not for these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

One would imagine the motivation behind it was to get them in where they were most likely to only harm each other. Obviously it backfired, but one must remember that violence like that outside games is pretty common in Serbian football. It usually doesn't go this far though. The Italians thought they were doing the safest thing, and 9 times out of 10 they probably would have been. This time though, the Serbs had clearly planned this, and one way or another they were going to cause utter mayhem somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CiaranC wrote: »
    We had to have passports with us to prove who we were against Juventus, seems amazing that they would do that for 900 rovers fans but not for these

seems fair enough;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Surely the Italian FA, or whoever was responsible for match security has a lot to answer here also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Surely the Italian FA, or whoever was responsible for match security has a lot to answer here also.

More like the Serbian fa do. So the Italian fa have to keep tabs on every other countries hooligans?
    You guys think searching them and refusing them entry would have ended well.
    And ciaranc, well that's the league so it's different to international, probably they can't enforce that, but sure what would it do anyway!

Advertisement