Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OK Cupid blog post on gay vs straight sex habits

• 12-10-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/gay-sex-vs-straight-sex/

Very interesting post. Quantitative data on a lot of barstool questions.

For example, 7% of straight men have had homosexual sex and enjoyed themselves, vs 26% of straight women.
    I wonder if the stats in Ireland would be similar?
    They've a really interesting heatmap of gay curiosity too, be interesting to see a global version.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Also if your hand is the size of your face.

Go on..............check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

fergalr wrote: »
    For example, 7% of straight men have had homosexual sex and enjoyed themselves, vs 26% of straight women.
    Wouldn't that make them bisexuals rather than straight men/women?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Bi now, gay later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Everyones gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

All i took from that article is that women are stupid...

WhichIsBiggerCredit.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

lol remindes me that gay dude who said everyone is born gay.. but that your parents turn you straight:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BotFly

twinytwo wrote: »
    lol remindes me that gay dude who said everyone is born gay.. but that your parents turn you straight:rolleyes:
    My mum is sexy tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

steve06 wrote: »
    All i took from that article is that women are stupid...

WhichIsBiggerCredit.png

All women, or just the 10% that answered yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

BotFly wrote: »
    My mum is sexy tbf.

And how!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

twinytwo wrote: »

Was this before or after he stuck his hand down your trousers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

bonerm wrote: »
    Was this before or after he stuck his hand down your trousers?

Just show us on the teddy............Point to where.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i know 'straight' girls who have kissed other girls....:confused:
    not so much with the guys! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

/hasty, flippant, macho joke

• Registered Users Posts: 11 billythew

I saw some research elsewhere that claimed that women are more likely to be bisexual because female sexuality is more complicated than male sexuality, and scientists are still working on understanding the dynamics of female sexuality fully.

So with men, they are more likely to be either straight or homosexual, with a low percentage of either orientation bisexual. But women's sexuality works differently so women tend to be bisexual more than men do.

That's what I read anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

i know 'straight' girls who have kissed other girls....:confused:

aka attention seekers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yeah, hard to take most of this as reflective of reality. Unless you believe everyone tells the truth when they sign up to a dating site. :rolleyes:

Easy to believe more straight women would answer "yes" to the question "have you ever had a sexual encounter with someone of the same sex?" as straight men would be more likely to find that a turn on. Where as with the reverse situation less women would be likely to find it a turn on if a man hooked up with another man. All irregardless of the actual truth of the situation.

As for "how many sexual partners have you had" is a woman looking for a boyfriend on the site really going to admit to having 49 sexual partners? Or a man to having none? Not surprised in the slightest that 6 was the mean answer, it's always the safest lie.

Apply the logic liberally to all questions covered. People lie about sex (and other things) on dating sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

strobe wrote: »
    Yeah, hard to take most of this as reflective of reality. Unless you believe everyone tells the truth when they sign up to a dating site. :rolleyes:

Easy to believe more straight women would answer "yes" to the question "have you ever had a sexual encounter with someone of the same sex?" as straight men would be more likely to find that a turn on. Where as with the reverse situation less women would be likely to find it a turn on if a man hooked up with another man. All irregardless of the actual truth of the situation.

As for "how many sexual partners have you had" is a woman looking for a boyfriend on the site really going to admit to having 49 sexual partners? Or a man to having none? Not surprised in the slightest that 6 was the mean answer, it's always the safest lie.

Apply the logic liberally to all questions covered. People lie about sex (and other things) on dating sites.

I wasn't familiar with the site; but after reading your post, I looked some stuff up, and came across this extended faq:
    http://www.okcupid.com/faaaq

It seems that the answers to most of these questions are public; furthermore people get to specify what answers they would accept in potential matches - so there is probably a game here where it makes sense to keep your profile statistically close to the profile that the people you desire would desire.
    In which cases, the answers should be treated with caution.

In addition to that, there would be a selection bias to the users that would use the website in the first place.

Its open to debate how strong these biases would be. Ideally they should take another source of data from somewhere else and try and use that to establish the accuracy of their statistics.

Still interesting stuff though!

Advertisement