Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!Broken Microwave..

Options
  • 12-10-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Not quite an emergency but has anyone any technical knowledge of microwave ovens - mine looks like it's working but it is not heating anything, was hoping to fix it myself if it's not too difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Microwaves are consumables. Throw it out and get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

what's this got to do with greystones?...

do you honestly think people can diagnose your microwave problem from behind a computer screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

I really wouldnt fiddle with it if I were you.
    The power supply inside dishes out 2000 volts at 1 amp.
    Guaranteed fatal if you touch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJPOupZoyi4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Agree with above posts - microwaves can be dangerous, get rid of it and get a new one. Nobody fixes old microwaves.
    PS did you check it's not on the defrost setting??

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

jobless wrote: »
    what's this got to do with greystones?...

do you honestly think people can diagnose your microwave problem from behind a computer screen?

Just looking for some friendly advice from my neighbours, sorry it's not about the harbour or slashed tyres.:(

Read online that if everything else is working it is usually a problem with the door of the microwave and can easily be repaired, in my book throwing things out these days at the first sign of a problem is an expensive luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Wineman wrote: »
    Just looking for some friendly advice from my neighbours, sorry it's not about the harbour or slashed tyres.:(

Read online that if everything else is working it is usually a problem with the door of the microwave and can easily be repaired, in my book throwing things out these days at the first sign of a problem is an expensive luxury.

That's true, but microwaves aren't that expensive, and it may be a safety issue. Maybe the manafacturer has a FAQ section on their website? Or if you google the product number something might come up in yahoo Q & A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 johnnysexsmith

Wineman wrote: »

You can buy a microwave in Tesco for less then €50. I would imagine a repair would cost more

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Microwaves generally won't come on at all if the problem is something simple like the door. Ours stopped working for a while cause the safety bar thingy on the door wasn't connecting properly with the safety receptor thingy. But if yours is coming on but not zapping properly, it might be something more technical than the above, if possible! I think I'd replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

actaully people do fix old microwaves...your problem is a little hv fuse which blows.very handy to fix but dont do it yourself as very high voltage in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

I fixed mine, a monster great thing, convection fan oven included.
    It was the 13 amp fuse in the plug, they get 'tired' being used close to
    the rating, apparently. For which I thank my sister's ex husbands advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 gaza m

gman, im looking for someone to fix my microwave for me, its not heating food for me but comes on?? Would you be interested, ive tried a few places and cant find anyone to fix it. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gaza m wrote: »
    gman, im looking for someone to fix my microwave for me, its not heating food for me but comes on?? Would you be interested, ive tried a few places and cant find anyone to fix it. thanks
    try the electrical shop beside Terrie Dunnes on Bray Main Street

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement