Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windrose

Options
  • 12-10-2010 9:13pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi looking for some help here. I am involved in a project at work and need to create a windrose to show the prevailing wind direction and speed over the last few years for a particular area. I have all the data I need but do not know how to create a windrose to display this.
    Looking for any help at all, what programme do I need to use ? Where can I get it ? etc......

Many thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I know it's possible in microsoft excel but i've only done it once or twice and have completely forgotton how i did it..if you try googling excel and windrose it may turn up something.
    There's a few examples here as well if you can't find anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Beeker wrote: »
    Hi looking for some help here. I am involved in a project at work and need to create a windrose to show the prevailing wind direction and speed over the last few years for a particular area. I have all the data I need but do not know how to create a windrose to display this.
    Looking for any help at all, what programme do I need to use ? Where can I get it ? etc......

Many thanks in advance.:)

Plotting a wind rose can be a fairly complicated affair in Excel, but can be done. As Trodger says, you have to plot the data you have into a 'Radar' chart. (preferably a 'filled radar' chart which makes it easier to view!)

I have attatched an Excel file which plots the dominant monthly wind direction for Belmullet during the month of October which might give you an idea.

I just listed the main wind direction in one column (N, NNE, NE, E, ESE etc and they do need to be listed in a that order) and in the next column I put in the number of days which that particular wind direction was the dominant one on a day to day basis. For example, there was 2 days in that month when the dominant wind direction was from the WSW.

When it is complete, highlight the the 2 columns, go to 'insert', then to 'Other Charts', then to 'radar or filled radar'. This should then give a basic wind rose chart for the data, such as on the one attatched.

After that, you can design the chart which ever way you fancy! I hope this might give you an idea. If you need it further explained by all means ask. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Thanks lads, I will take a look at all that in the next few days. I appreciate all your help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

Advertisement