Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Wired Alarm installed in 2004

Options
  • 12-10-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I bought a second hand house in 2007, alarm was installed in 2004 , i never used it, never understood how to use it - so i left it alone and the company who installed it were not in operation in 2007 (i could not find details of them anywhere) .... now i wqsant to get it up asnd running

A registered alarm company called this week, and apparently the sensors on the windows are not wired correctly and is suggesting rewiring and possibly upgrading the board in the attic (apparently it makes sense to use the newer model) - i want to have alarm on, while moving around downstairs, and fully on when upstairs at night - apparently the "zones are not open". I have a Pir positioned over the door entering the garage, one in the garage - (part of the house) and another pir at the top of the stairs. And the engineers code is not available to access the system.

Should i look for as asecond opinion and or can anyone recommend someone in the Waterford areas. I don't want the system monitored

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

MaxCharlie wrote: »
    I bought a second hand house in 2007, alarm was installed in 2004 , i never used it, never understood how to use it - so i left it alone and the company who installed it were not in operation in 2007 (i could not find details of them anywhere) .... now i wqsant to get it up asnd running

A registered alarm company called this week, and apparently the sensors on the windows are not wired correctly and is suggesting rewiring and possibly upgrading the board in the attic (apparently it makes sense to use the newer model) - i want to have alarm on, while moving around downstairs, and fully on when upstairs at night - apparently the "zones are not open". I have a Pir positioned over the door entering the garage, one in the garage - (part of the house) and another pir at the top of the stairs. And the engineers code is not available to access the system.

Should i look for as asecond opinion and or can anyone recommend someone in the Waterford areas. I don't want the system monitored

Yes do get someone else to have a look. This panel can be returned to factory setting and reprogrammed.

It sounds like the company you got in does not know how to do this so wants to put in a new system. I would understand them asking you to upgrade if you want extra wire free devices if the cabling is an issue. Can you post pictures off the wired components they are saying are wrong plus the inside of the alarm control panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

yeah, i'll take photos tomorrow and put them up. thanks

At worse all they have to do is replace the chip and reprogram the alarm if you dont need any other devices installed.

pictures uploaded

The sensors are wired correctly looking at the pictures. The panel is a HKC 6/10.
    Replacing the chip plus reprogramming the alarm, test all the sensors on the system, tiding up the cable for the power is all that needs to be done. If you need extra beams you can get them to install point id sensors plus a point id module for the sensors to free up a zone. If the panel is installed in the attic you should have a pir installed beside the panel as it is outside the protected area. Not that big a job to be honest. I would get a few more companys in and tell them what you want done.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up Altor - your a star

Always happy to help, let us know how you get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keatinge

hi im installing a hkc alrm in my home and not sure re wiring of hkc mc contact on my side door and also i want to fit same on my patio door with a sensor on the centre stile of door.basic diagram would be greatly appreciated.cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its a the HKC MC your wiring the terminals are:

1 & 6 Contact
    2 & 5 Inertia sensor
    3 & 4 Tamper.

Are you using resistors?
    Is this being connected into an existing zone?

keatinge wrote: »
    hi im installing a hkc alrm in my home and not sure re wiring of hkc mc contact on my side door and also i want to fit same on my patio door with a sensor on the centre stile of door.basic diagram would be greatly appreciated.cheers

Here you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 keatinge

Cheers altor and koolkid appreicate reply so soon.the house was first fixed for alarm but last owner cut all cables and had aphonewatch system.its not working properly and ive decided to locate snipped cables.which ive done to a degre.i have wooden flors throughout so cant lift boards.im have a zone for up windows sorted,also have a 6 core to bellbox ,ive ran two pirs up and down separate circuits,downstairs is my dillema,here goes (sory for this long winded explanation guys)ive got a 4 core from pane position to patio door rere of house this is looped to 2 kitchen windows then to side entry door of house and to front room window where it ends.ive belled this circuit out .Now from panel i have a 6 core to keypad which is located inside hall dor from there i have a 4 core to front door and that is looped to one window.i could do with some advice re wiring this.ive never tackled alarm before and am a sparky but mainly industrial and domestic.ive bought the hkc alarm and have window and bellbox wired pirs done just not sure re patio and of course keypad to hall door /window any suggestions and tips re wiring panel to would be great.just a bit wary on first time guys.regards jack

keatinge wrote: »
    Now from panel i have a 6 core to keypad which is located inside hall dor from there i have a 4 core to front door and that is looped to one window.i could do with some advice re wiring this.

Which HKC system are you installing?

Basically all you have is 2 cores for the front door and window if using the 6 core as a return for the keypad. Is there any way to run a new cable from the control panel to the keypad?

Advertisement