Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC in Dublin City Centre...sluggish at peak times.

• 12-10-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

I thought that optic fibre would solve peak time choking?
    Anyone else in town getting these issues every night?
    I've phoned UPC and they can't see anything, 1 min the BB tets is fine, the next second I get a time out on a webpage, so it's very intermittent.
    Hardly any use for online games too.

I used to be with Smart, are they still doing the rounds? Eircom just seems too pricey.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I thought that optic fibre would solve peak time choking?
    Anyone else in town getting these issues every night?
    I've phoned UPC and they can't see anything, 1 min the BB tets is fine, the next second I get a time out on a webpage, so it's very intermittent.
    Hardly any use for online games too.

I used to be with Smart, are they still doing the rounds? Eircom just seems too pricey.

Dont have such a problem in D2 area, if pages are timing out, try changing your DNS servers to Google public DNS or openDNS

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I wouldn't know how to do that re:dns settings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I wouldn't know how to do that re:dns settings.
    Microsoft Windows

DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

Go the Control Panel.
    Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
    Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
    To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
    Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
    Click OK.
    Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
    Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
    Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
    Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
    Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.
    Taken from: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html, this is how to configure Googles DNS, use same steps but openEDNS IPs if you don't want to use the google ones (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to>208.67.222.222
    /208.67.220.220)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Thanks, I'll get my mate to sort it out and see if it works, have to say again that it's only peak times I have these problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sandy Ravage

I'm in the Finglas area and UPC was very slow this evening so I changed my dns servers to opendns and the connection is back fine again

The same may work for you. The UPC servers have been intermittent this week

• Advertisement
Advertisement