Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house extension -some advise please

• 12-10-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    I am an the initial stages of planning a 40-50sqm extension to the back & rear of my house, incorporating an open plan kitchen/dining & utility area and changes to the existing downstairs bathroom.
    I met with my first architect today which was interesting & a little shocking at the same time. They told me that on average an ext of this size finished to a medium spec ( incl kitchen) would set youy back €100k.
    I was hoping I could get it finished to a good standard for €70-80k - maybe I am dreaming and need to save a little more!!

They qouted me a fee of €7k to design, draft & submit drawings to planning stage. Does this sound expensive to you?
    I would be interested to know if any of the contributors here could recommend an architect which they have used in the dublin area?

If you were to engage the architect to organise & deliver the full project what premium would you expect to pay for this service?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭muffler

eamorath wrote: »
    They told me that on average an ext of this size finished to a medium spec ( incl kitchen) would set youy back €100k.
    I was hoping I could get it finished to a good standard for €70-80k - maybe I am dreaming and need to save a little more!!
    Dublin and surrounding areas are still the dearest places for building. Depending on your location and spec I would like to think that you would have a damn good job done for 70k.

They qouted me a fee of €7k to design, draft & submit drawings to planning stage. Does this sound expensive to you?
    This point has been debated to death in various threads here but my own opinion is that 7k just to get to planning stage is a ridiculous figure. I wish these people would seriously cop on and live in the real world. Shop around and get quotes from a couple of local architectural technicians.

I would be interested to know if any of the contributors here could recommend an architect which they have used in the dublin area?
    Just for the benefit of others reading this please keep recommendations to PMs.

If you were to engage the architect to organise & deliver the full project what premium would you expect to pay for this service?
    Architects generally will try to charge a percentage of the estimated building cost - could be as much as 10% and over on occasions. Im being generous here when I say that 5k should more than cover you but then again thats just my opinion and I have no knowledge of what the going rate around Dublin is.

As stated above price a couple of good local architectural technicians.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

in laois extension prices are coming in around €100 per sq ft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Around Dublin extension prices have been consistently around €2k/m2 .
    So 50m2 x €2000 = €100k was par for the course up to 2008 . I would expect you may today get a pare-back to €80k . Any less and I would worry about quality .

The "extra" €20k may be being included by your architect to provide for works required in the alterations to the existing structure that he can foresee but may not be apparent to you now .

As for fees - from start to finish - 10% which in turn splits 3 ways

30% - to planning €2.4k
    30% - from planning to appoint builder €2.4k
    40% - start of works to sign off €3.2k
    +VAT+expenses ( circa €500 typically )

If a Structural Engineer is required too - €1.5-2K + VAT .

The fall in rebuilding costs means that the cost of rebuilding a typical 3-bedroom 1,500 square feet house in Dublin has fallen from €306,000 or about €9 a square foot to €292,500 while the cost of rebuilding a 4-bedroom 2,000 square feet detached house in the capital has fallen from €386,000 to €368,000.

from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They told me that on average an ext of this size finished to a medium spec ( incl kitchen) would set youy back €100k.
    I would of said 80k
    For planning only its very high. Are you sure that they didn't quote to completion?

sinnerboy wrote: »
    As for fees - from start to finish - 10% which in turn splits 3 ways

30% - to planning €2.4k
    30% - from planning to appoint builder €2.4k
    40% - start of works to sign off €3.2k
    +VAT+expenses ( circa €500 typically )

If a Structural Engineer is required too - €1.5-2K + VAT .

I'd think this is a decent guide. Notice SB has split 7k to completion. I really can see how they justify 7k to planning only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have to agree. €7k to planning is pretty expensive for the size and type of project. I assume this includes a (measured and drawn) surevy of the existing house?

€7k from start to completion, including tender/construction drawings and contrcat administration, is reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Extensions are much harder to gauge budget prices, than new builds, particularly, when there's comprehensive integration between existing and new.

And then there's we'll change this we'll we have the builders in, be it blocking up a door, fitting and attic stairs or whatever. It all adds up.

As for fees, get a number of quotes for architects/ATs. However you shouldn't be paying any more that 7K for a full service, start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi,
    I am an the initial stages of planning a 40-50sqm extension to the back & rear of my house, incorporating an open plan kitchen/dining & utility area and changes to the existing downstairs bathroom.
    I met with my first architect today which was interesting & a little shocking at the same time. They told me that on average an ext of this size finished to a medium spec ( incl kitchen) would set youy back €100k.

tks

I know it's Galway, but humour me, but a contractor locally priced a 35sq m extension yesterday, and all-in cost, for everything, came to 39k, which is approx 103/sq ft.

A new green-field build is cheaper, he did a full costing on a 2350 sq ft 2-storey, and it came in at 168k all in, builders' finish, which imho was very very competitive.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eamorath

Thanks all.

Just to clarify the 7k quote is ex vat and includes surveying,designs, drawings and layout stages to planning permission. Also includes preparation of tender docs and 2 site visits during construction.

seems a little high to me.

ER

If it is start to finish it's about right . I would insist on at least 5 visits however plus one more at 12 months after finish

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

1 word for you or anyone who is about to start a build or extension

Put it out to "TENDER".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi,

tks

7K excluding vat????????

RIPP OFF mate.:eek:

My architect/structural engineer did all mine (initial house design,plans,submitting of plans,newspaper adverts etc etc)from very start of the process to the very finish for sub 4K (including vat) and that was everything,even project managing and lots site visits,especially on the structural side of things (foundations,structural walls,roof work,RSJ,s and all other steelwork instalation).

Oh and that also included lots of site and office meetings with myself and my missus,and also final certification of the work and also pestering the builder to do alot more work that he should have done for us,and for free too.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks all.

Just to clarify the 7k quote is ex vat and includes surveying,designs, drawings and layout stages to planning permission. Also includes preparation of tender docs and 2 site visits during construction.

seems a little high to me.

ER

It sounds more than a little high to me. It's an extension, not a shopping centre ........even at the peak of the Celtic madness, I paid a fraction of that for a 316sq m house........ymmv and all that, but not by that much !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eamorath

Hi Paddy 147,

Was your build in Dublin?
    Would you mind passing on your architects details?
    That price is a lot beter than what ive got so far and ive rec'd 4 quotes to date.

ER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 123.gd

Hi Paddy 123
    could you give me the name and contact for your Architect, sounds like a great price.

Thanks
    123.gd

123.gd wrote: »
    Hi Paddy 123
    could you give me the name and contact for your Architect, sounds like a great price.

Thanks
    123.gd

Reminder to all - seek and send such info by private message only

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭observer2u

paddy147 wrote: »
    7K excluding vat????????

RIPP OFF mate.:eek:

My architect/structural engineer did all mine (initial house design,plans,submitting of plans,newspaper adverts etc etc)

So was he an architect or an engineer? I seriously doubt he was both! There is a massive difference in the services provided and therefore a difference in the cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know it's Galway, but humour me, but a contractor locally priced a 35sq m extension yesterday, and all-in cost, for everything, came to 39k, which is approx 103/sq ft.

Galwaytt, I would really appreciate it if you could PM me with the details of the above-mentioned contractor. We are looking at buying a house in Galway city that needs renovation and an extension and really need to get a good idea of how much that would cost to see if we can afford the house overall. Thanks for any help you can give.

Advertisement