Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protien drinks

Options
  • 12-10-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I was told to use a protein drink before and after training to help build muscle and strenght, can anyone recomend one and where I might buy one thanks:eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

High5 protein recovery works a treat, and go a gram and half per kg of body weight for building muscle, go less or recommended serving size for just post recovery aid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I use pure unflavoured whey protein after the gym or a long cycle and find it good. Since it's unflavoured you can mix it through porridge or other foods to get that extra protein boost if needed. I get it from this site after I was recommended it by some powerlifters I know.
    http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.php/277/18/whey_protein_isolate_90___instantised_

I've tried the likes of the different flavoured maximuscle proteins before and found them disgusting, way too sweet and artificial. The only flavoured protein I found palatable was the Tony Quinn casein protein, mixes like a milkshake but fairly expensive. Casein protein doesn't absorb into the system as quick as whey protein so more suitable for taking before going to bed rather than after a workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Bought from here a couple of times, from what i've seen it's a lot cheaper than anywhere else and i found them very helpful.
    http://www.aobnutrition.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

After you ride, within the first hour, your body is particular receptive to food. I always eat some real food like cooked eggs immediately after the ride.

I also use Endurox, some whey, and wheat germ.

Probably good to eat some beans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

dob272 wrote: »
    Hi I was told to use a protein drink before and after training

Is protein intake as important pre-workout as it is post-workout?
    Bought from here a couple of times, from what i've seen it's a lot cheaper than anywhere else and i found them very helpful.

Good link but they only deliver within Duberland :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Good link but they only deliver within Duberland :(

Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

hey, i dont generally use protein drinks unless i do a long session in a swimming pool and a ride on my bike or if im due in work. recently started drinking pre-mixed lucozade protein shake. you can buy it in the drinks session of dunnes stores. I tried to use the sachets but it never tasted right. hope that helps!!
    p.s. by long pool session, its usually 2.5-3km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I'm a fan of milk post training.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

i see the larger tesco's stores are big into their protein/recovery/ muscle building shake! so much so u'd get confused picking the one 4 u. Seem chap enuf too!

i hav been using the high 5 recovery carbs protein mix. it definetly aids recovery if ure going again the next evening. I was wondering tho if i wanted to lose a bit more body fat should i try a whey protein only shake or is the car/protein mix better for recovery as the muscles need the carbs? if protein only wud my bdoy get what carbs it needs from Fat or would the absence of carbs make me weak the next day?
    if, during these evenings with little light left at 5pm, i'm only doing 30-40K shud i b going with a recovery drink at all or just go 4 a protein one?

also had a friend who i cycled with all summer mainly thru hills/mtns and 2 weeks ago he decided to go on a diet. Jez u wanna c him after it, fell apart in the hills, had to turn back, no energy and felt like crap, was like his first time on a bike all over again! knocked his whole summer training out in 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Protein and carbs are quite interrelated. Although you need some protein to repair muscle (although presumably not massive amounts for cycling, compared to say bodybuilding) you also need energy to maintain and repair muscle. You can get energy from dietary sources of carbs, fats, and protein, or from fat stores.

I used to quite like protein drinks, but seeing what they did to our riders on the RAI (lots of vomiting and general gastrointenstinal distress) put me off a bit. From what I recall reading about TdF nutriution I don't think they use protein drinks at all. I think when the body is hammered past a certain point there is a limit to what it can take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

i think it's a fine line between getting enuf carbs in for recovery but not too much to prevent fat loss! hav too much carbs in your recovery, u wont burn fat post ride, have too little and u wont recover properly possibly loose muscle and be weak next ride.

So how much does the body actually absorb post ride and over what period? My high 5 says 3 scoops in 400 mls but i find if i do a tough one i throw in 4 or 5 scoops into 500 mls and possibly another 2 hrs later. Does the trick for recovery but at the detrement of fat burning? and am i wasting valuable scoops as the body can only absorb so much and pass the rest out?

Also, is it a good idea to have a carb/protein recovery drink b4 u go out or as ure first drink on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

I saw an article in one of the triathlon teams about recovery over the summer. had an interview with one of the TdF team nutritionists. He said that the most important thing is to get the carb/proteins in within 30 mins of the stage finish. On the flat stages they even get their riders to start taking it on in the last 20k. obviously cant do it on the mountain stages because the body can't absorb it while its being pushed to its limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mahoo wrote: »
    He said that the most important thing is to get the carb/proteins in within 30 mins of the stage finish.

Read or heard that from another source during the summer too, take them within 30 minutes of finishing exercise. I find it true as when I take a recovery drink within a half hour I have very little tiredness/soreness/stiffness etc the next morning whereas if I forget and take it after an hour or two it doesn't seem to be as effective. High5 chocolate flavoured Protein Recovery for the win, tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

myprotein(dot)co.uk is a good place for protein

protein is better used to recover from injury or strains

For tiredness and to be ready to roll the next day your better off loading carbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Why? WHy why why why?

Why do you need to waste money on pre-prepared shakes and potions?

Why cant you just pre-make some food if you are worried on time and then eat it afterwards.

Supplements, not SUBSTITUTES.

Seriously gets my goat when people are told to take the expensive way out.

Also the bioavalibility of protein from non-real foods is lower than from real food. Please note the word NON-real. They work as hard as they can in a lab to make this work, but they just dont work as well as real food.

Lumen: re TDF riders, protein shakes are used post some of the harder stages. Mostly its due to the fact they need to replace so much carbohydrate (CHO) later in the day and it is not always possible to give exogenous CHO sources in enough volume after a meal heavy in protein that would allow for gastric emptying. One of the big issues with eh CHO volumes that the Grand Tour riders would need is the ability to actually fit it into the stomach. Sure the guys do need a protein source also, but there focus is on increasing glycogen stores for the next day, not on maintaining muscle mass.

Kinda scary when you get to it.

*crawls back into physiology lab*

billy.fish wrote: »
    Why? WHy why why why?

Why cant you just pre-make some food if you are worried on time and then eat it afterwards.

Don't know about you but the last thing I want to do after 4 or 5 hours hard racing is either cook a meal immediately afterwards, logistically impossible anyway, or have the stomach to eat a pre-prepared one so soon after finishing which is why a 500ml shake that actually works is perfect for most people.

Hence why i said PRE-make food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I think Billys point is that its only perfect if it works perfectly, which it doesnt. Its just more convenient.

You only need about 10% protein in your diet anyway which is easily had if you regularly eat fresh fruit and veg (spinach, eggs, beans etc).

Another thing to note is that protein shakes are high in calories, if your taking them on days your not exercising they can go on the body as fat stores

One of my favourite post-ride foods is kippers and rice, washed down with milk. If the rice is pre-cooked it only takes a couple of mins in the microwave to heat up.

I have wondered what a warm kipper-rice milkshake would taste like, but haven't quite worked up the enthusiasm to try it yet.

Lumen wrote: »
    ...I have wondered what a warm kipper-rice milkshake would taste like, but haven't quite worked up the enthusiasm to try it yet.

You sir are a freak.

Other side to protien shakes is that they give you very expensive urine.

• Advertisement

Hence why i said PRE-make food.

I know, which is why I said that after a few hours racing I don't think many people have the stomach to eat a meal, I know I don't which is why a shake is perfect until the body is ready to take on board a lot of food. Plus as I said the logistics of having a prepared meal is usually not good as it's very seldom you finish a race minutes from home, you're usually away somewhere or have a good drive so the shake is perfect until you're home and then ready for a dinner.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that they're replacing meals with protein and recovery drinks, well I'm not anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Lumen wrote: »

I used to quite like protein drinks, but seeing what they did to our riders on the RAI (lots of vomiting and general gastrointenstinal distress) put me off a bit. From what I recall reading about TdF nutriution I don't think they use protein drinks at all. I think when the body is hammered past a certain point there is a limit to what it can take.

Have you ever tried amino acid based drink?
    http://www.allsports-online.co.uk/allsports.cgi I was convinced I could feel it heading for the tired zones after a winter spin - the more tired the better. By rights, a lot less digestion involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

i never used to take protein shakes, just went for the green veg, chicken and pasta routine as i wasnt working as much as i am now. as it stands im organising a charity event solo along with work and a number of other things. So as a result from jumping from swimming and/or cycling directly to work or other things, i find protein shakes handy as they are filling and keep me going till i can get a decent meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why? WHy why why why?

Supplements, not SUBSTITUTES.

Seriously gets my goat when people are told to take the expensive way out.

Also the bioavalibility of protein from non-real foods is lower than from real food. Please note the word NON-real. They work as hard as they can in a lab to make this work, but they just dont work as well as real food.

The BV of Whey is higher than all other foods, and whey is despite your rant, a food.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

try some pressed fruit juice straight after your excercise and then 30m to an hr later eat your well balanced meal. The idea is to get carbs in, in the quickest form to replace glycogen stores before the body decides to break down muscles for glycogen. then give your body the fuel it needs for mending muscles

The BV of Whey is higher than all other foods

But...
    Unlike some measures of protein usability, biological value does not take into account how readily the protein can be digested and absorbed

...which is (I think) the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Lentils are the best recovery food. 24% protein, 56% carbohydrates, 1 % fat. Perhaps you could make Lentil soup.

Advertisement