Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing

Options
  • 12-10-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Currently in the middle of sourcing all my plug sockets and switches. In my sitting room I want to have 3 swiches/lights on dimmers and one switch that controls the lamps on plugs. So i;m wondering if there is such a switch that has 3 dimmers and one normal switch on it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

I Dont know much about geting them old twisty knob dimmers. But you should consider the univex dimmers, you could have three rocker switches and one normal switch on a 4gang mk switch plate. The only thing about the univex dimmers is they are expensive and can be a bit of a pain to install but are very nice control wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

doubt it

3 dimmers is usually a double plate

you'll have to rcd all the lights in the room if the 5amp sockets and dimmers are on same circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

You will need a 2 gang grid switch plate with 3 of the grids fitted with dimmers and 1 fitted with a switch.

You will have to make sure that there is a double box in the wall to take the 2 gang plate.

I know that MK do them because I had to get some grids myself but I am sure that the other big name brands will do them as well.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

If your doing it yourself, go to your local electrical wholesaler. As above said you will have to make the switch, as it is custom to your needs. Very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

we do a push on/push off switch designed like a dimmer module.
    you would have to buy a 4 gang dimmer in the range you have chosen and remove one of the dimming modules and replace it with on/off switch.
    this keeps all the switches the same and aesthetically pleasing.
    imo having 3 dimmers and a rocker on a plate looks naff and unprofessional

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes- i remember getting a dimmer and a 2 way push on/off switch on a standard white plate

it was handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

imo having 3 dimmers and a rocker on a plate looks naff and unprofessional

Yes i think your right, I did a similar setup to what OP is asking but just used a single plate standard rocker switch seperate to the 2 dimmers in that case that was used. Looks better with them as seperate plates a few inches apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I think you can get a dimmer switch now on a grid that looks like a regular switch but is spring return like a mementary switch.

i.e. switch up to dim up, switch down to dim down.

This would look the same as a regular switch except would function as a dimmer.

I am pretty sure that I have heard of these so check it out. Look in the big name places first...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Mike2006 wrote: »
    I think you can get a dimmer switch now on a grid that looks like a regular switch but is spring return like a mementary switch.

i.e. switch up to dim up, switch down to dim down.

This would look the same as a regular switch except would function as a dimmer.

I am pretty sure that I have heard of these so check it out. Look in the big name places first...

Mike.

this is done with a module and a retractive switch. usually the module is fitted in behind the switch using a deep box. one click to switch on, press and hold to dim up, press and hold to dim down and a quick click to switch off. they come in 500ww and 1000w modules. a well known brand would be univex distributed by benelec in cork

Advertisement