Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schooling question re religion

Options
  • 12-10-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

hi guys

this old chestnut again... but slightly off track!

If we were to not baptise our child (due any day now:D ) the local school in which we would hope to enroll him/her is a small country school 5 mins from our home and is of catholic ethos. What i'm wondering is... if we decide not to baptise and do enroll our child can we ask that our child is not taught religion? Or would the school have a problem with that and refuse to enroll our child or overlook him/her in favour of a baptised child?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You need to request a copy of the enrollement policy.
    Places are awarded according to how many they are and how many of the critea you child meets. If there are more places then children then your child not being baptised won't be an issue, if there are less places then children then it may become an issue.

Usually if your child attends a catholic ethos school and is not christian/catholic you can ask for them to be expempt from religios instruction, if they can not be superivsed outside of the class during this time they get assigned other work to do in the class.

But there is a cross over in the ciriculum so you may find your child learning hymns as part of music lessions, colouring in religious pictures or making a crib as part of art, learning words related to the church and the rosary as part of enlgish and there will usually be class prayers and if the local church is very close to the school trips to it for all manner of reasons (our school said it was for singing as not to disturb the other classes).

How each school handles it may be slightly different you will have to check with the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Theres also the element that your child will be 'different' to the other kids in the class.

I'm in a similiar situation, my husband wanted our son christened, it meant nothing to me so I had no problem with it. However he died shortly afterwards. I have my son down to attend a local rural catholic school. My plan is to let him attend all the crappy religious lessons. I hope take him with eurodisney instead of first communication.

Oh I also pull the proverbial out of all the religious teachings and beliefs-(proving that there is no god as if 'he' did exist my husband would be caring for our son!)

Advertisement