Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christening

• 12-10-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A little bit of background:

My boyfriend and I are both young(18) and have been disagreeing on what to do for the Christening for 2 months now. My boyfriend and my family don't get on at all. He wants us to have the Christening at his house because he can't afford to pay for it in a pub, but I know most of my family wouldn't go if it is at his house and those that would wouldn't enjoy the day. I suggested we have it at my house but he refuses to go anywhere near my house. I can't afford to pay for it all as im a student and not working. Eventually he told me to decide everything and then get back to him with prices.
    So basically does anyone have any ideas what is the cheapest thing to do, that isn't at either of our houses and isn't so cheap its mean?
    Sorry if this is an impossible task and thanks for any suggestions, im open to any. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

can you have it in someone else house that neither family would mind going to? or maybe a local parish hall or gaa club?
    You could ask everyone to bring something like a different salad or dessert to keep costs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I had the afters of my daughters christening in a pub. We sorted out the food ourselves. I made all the sandwiches, I bought cocktail sausages, chicken legs and got a local chipper to collect them. Some people brought food like quiche and lasange. We had over a hundred people at the christening at it was a great day. Everyone sorted themselves out with drinks. You are much better having it on Nuetral ground

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Not trying to be smart or anything but the actual christening part of the day costs nothing (apart from a few bob to the priest)

You don't actually have to go to the pub or a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

well tbh if a gathering afterwards is going to cause problems then maybe its not worth the hassle, although i know it is really nice to have a family gathering celebrating the little baby.

thats one downside to us not baptising our girl, never really had an occassion to kickstart us into organising a proper gathering for our family to celebrate her arrival- but like yourselves we were young, 17 and 18, so funds wouldnt permit anyway!

i reckon just go to a pub and if you cant afford a function room just ask them to keep an area reserved or else invade your own area early in the day! have some platters of home made sandwiches/sausages etc. and maybe a cake too. you can arrange a family member to bring them over. people wont mind buying their own drinks, maybe save up to buy the first round (all the guests wont be there yet anyway! :P) if u felt obliged to pay for some.

do you have a budget in mind? when we discussed a gathering we had basically no money, hence the idea being abandoned, but maybe you have some saved which would be alot more workable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Here's an idea.

Apparently priests will do christenings at midnight mass on Christmas Eve (so said my neighbour).

It would be a very nice time to do it, you would get some nice christmas music thrown into the deal maybe.

It would avoid any 'heading back to the pub for egg & cress sanggiches after'.

It would sort out who wants to be there for you, and who wants to be there for the free food.

We have a three month old, and we are thinking of doing the christening on that date in our local church, if the priest is amenable.

Personally, I'd like to avoid all the hulabaloo of a 'big christening' if at all possible, imho its a load of nonsense, would rather save the cash for getting baby stuff, or spend it on a nice weekend away next spring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement